Author Topic: Nest Protect (Smoke/CO detector)... Who will be the first to develop a plug-in?  (Read 36154 times)

Offline watou

- Does it tell us the specific CO concentration level in the room, or simply an OK/NOT OK?
Only OK/NOT OK.  There is no exposure of more granular smoke or CO data than that, that I'm aware of.

- AM I able to get the specific temperature/humidity levels, or simply HIGH/LOW?

The Nest thermostat, not Protect, will give you specific (and rumored very accurate) temperature and humidity levels, but the Protect does not.  The plugin will support multiple thermostats and smoke/CO sensors, as many as are configured in your nest.com account.

watou

Offline new2me07

1st off let me say thank you for the wonderful nest plugin and supported protect devices!!!

I just seen on the nest website that dropcams can be configured to take a picture when the protect senses motion. I would love 4 free motion detectors and placement of said devices were to one day take advantage of this hopeful integration with vera.

Also on the nest app it now offers the ability to control the pathway lights to a degree always on, motion, off. I could find many uses for this as well. I haven't looked at the API since day 1 but I'm not a devloper and it was a little over my head but for the guy who reverse engineered control of the thermostat i think anything a possible.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I didn't find Anything on a quick search.

Offline new2me07

Nvmd read into it more. Dropcam take a pic when smoke or co2 alarm goes off and used away mode to activate drop cam motion :-( too good to be true

Still curious about pathway control though

Offline watou

Nvmd read into it more. Dropcam take a pic when smoke or co2 alarm goes off and used away mode to activate drop cam motion :-( too good to be true

Still curious about pathway control though

The APIs I've seen so far do not offer any visibility to motion detection, but it's something that Nest could implement internally if they wanted to (and if the power needed for Wifi transmission wouldn't take too much battery).

A very kind user donated so that I could buy a second Vera that will run UI7.  I intend to refresh the plugin around the end of the month to solve UI7 issues, and at that time I will see if there is anything I can figure out about controlling the pathway lights on the Protect.

watou

Offline SM2k

@watou, I just noticed I'm on version 1.6 of the nest plugin. It appears that you submitted 1.7 (and possibly 1.8) some time ago... When I search the apps marketplace, the nest plugin is not listed. Am I missing something?

Also, I was wondering about a feature request. Would it be possible to add a "poll now" action? Having recently switched to android I just realized one could use tasker and push notifications to the phone to prod this plugin to go check the nest servers in basically near real time if the nest protects ever alarm.

Offline TimSRQ

• Sr. Newbie
From what I recall, the plugin does not show up if already installed.  I uninstalled and then it showed up. 

I can't test this now.  But you might try going to the app store while not authenticated (  http://apps.mios.com/ )  , select the app to install, then authenticate.  Then, you select which device to install it to.  Good luck.

Offline SM2k

From what I recall, the plugin does not show up if already installed.  I uninstalled and then it showed up. 

I can't test this now.  But you might try going to the app store while not authenticated (  http://apps.mios.com/ )  , select the app to install, then authenticate.  Then, you select which device to install it to.  Good luck.

Wow, I didn't know that workflow existed. Running 1.8 now... Thanks for your help.

Offline deancrowe

Just wanted to thank @watou for his awesome and continued development of the Nest plugin for UI7. Clearly Vera hasn't made things easy for you but we do appreciate your efforts to increase functionality and aesthetics.

Many thanks indeed!
Dean C

Offline watou

Thanks @deancrowe for the kind words.  I have been quiet lately because I've had to travel and no moments to spare, and I'm hoping for more documentation and fixes from Vera so I can move the plugin forward.  When these impediments are removed, there will be a plugin update (and also one for the Ecobee thermostat).

watou