We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Nest Protect (Smoke/CO detector)... Who will be the first to develop a plug-in?  (Read 36590 times)

Offline eldrix4

I plan on getting one and extending the Nest plugin to support it.  I would assume that the upcoming official API will support it, but I hope to integrate it into the plugin (creating new sensor and security child devices) one way or another!

watou

Firstly, excellent job on the Nest plugin as it is - use it every day. Not sure if you have thought any more about Protect but happy to help test it whenever you are ready. I have them installed and ready to go. And really hoping the motion detector is exposed via the API so it can be used to trigger other stuff.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 01:01:15 pm by eldrix4 »

Offline silencery

API access hasn't been opened yet sadly.

Offline SirMeili

I'm considering these. Any updates on the API release? Could it have been stalled due to the sale to Google?
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline watou

I'm considering these. Any updates on the API release? Could it have been stalled due to the sale to Google?

I have one installed and I like it very much.  It gives good feedback that it's doing its job and it looks good, too.

I've not heard any update on the API.  I supposed it's possible that the API release was stalled due to the Google acquisition, but I have nothing to base that conjecture on.  I think if we continue much longer without the public API, I will dig into the JSON payload and try to create/maintain new device type(s) based on the data there for the Protect.  It would of course be much better to have a documented API rather than guesswork.

watou

Offline SM2k

I think if we continue much longer without the public API, I will dig into the JSON payload and try to create/maintain new device type(s) based on the data there for the Protect.  It would of course be much better to have a documented API rather than guesswork.

Do you know if there's a limit on how often the Nest servers can be queried? Polling the server every couple minutes is a reasonable workaround for a thermostat, but when it comes to smoke detectors, the sooner you can react, the better.

Offline watou

Do you know if there's a limit on how often the Nest servers can be queried? Polling the server every couple minutes is a reasonable workaround for a thermostat, but when it comes to smoke detectors, the sooner you can react, the better.

No arguments with you there, but absent a published API, there are no guidelines other than our intuition about what amount of polling is reasonable.  The current plugin defaults to two minutes, but allows you to set it as low as one minute.  Even polling every minute might be considered excessive, but I have no way of knowing (and I certainly hope not).  Pounding their servers with polling is a sure way to get them to cut off either individual users or all plugin users, so we have to be extremely cautious to avoid creating unreasonable situations.  Your concern is another reason to wait for the official API release, wherein I'm sure they will tell us what limits we have to comply with.

And this is a good place to repeat the caveat that the plugin is licensed under terms that places any and all risks, including a Vera not triggering on a smoke or CO alarm (or doing so with a delay), outside of the developer.  This is serious stuff, and no one should rely on this plugin when it comes to a person's health and safety.

watou

Offline SirMeili

And this is a good place to repeat the caveat that the plugin is licensed under terms that places any and all risks, including a Vera not triggering on a smoke or CO alarm (or doing so with a delay), outside of the developer.  This is serious stuff, and no one should rely on this plugin when it comes to a person's health and safety.

watou

I completely agree with this. When it comes to alerting the user, I would rather have multiple of these and let them handle the local alerts (as they should anyways). I dont' think anyone should use this as a way to notify them of a fire through vera. The devices themselves should handle this quite fine and though it will mean multiple points of access to control them, I'm personally fine with that.

The functions I'm looking for are the extra sensors that I hope the API will open up such as the motion sensor and hopefully light sensor as well as maybe being able to control the led light on it through vera. Stuff like that.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline SM2k

I completely agree with this. When it comes to alerting the user, I would rather have multiple of these and let them handle the local alerts (as they should anyways). I dont' think anyone should use this as a way to notify them of a fire through vera.

Extremely true. I wouldn't want to mess with the communications path. They've already got a mechanism to alert. My main interest is in more general responses from the vera. e.g. turning lights on, turning furnace off. etc.

Offline chuck1026

I would be ok if the plugin attempts to identify all level threats but am also ok with a disclaimer!
UI7 / VeraPlus.... YAY, more stable than ever!

Offline eldrix4

I'm more than happy to help test whenever appropriate. I already have your Nest plugin for the thermostat and a couple of protects set up.

While the google deal may have delayed things, I'd hope it wouldn't change their intent. They've always been pretty good about opening APIs in the most part.

From a functionality perspective, I'm not sure you need to go near the alarming, smoke or CO2 capabilities at all as the nest app already does a good job on that front. What would be really interesting is being able to get the other sensors to show up in Vera, including motion, temperature and light. Being able to use those as triggers for other things would be fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BulldogLowell

Not hijacking this thread, but a device like this may be able to be hacked to indicate to Vera that your existing smoke detectors are ringing.

sort of a cool product.

http://www.lifegear.com/night-lights/fire-safety-night-light

Offline nuckolsc07

Has anyone been able to get a Nest Protect to work with a vera?  If so how.

Offline capjay

Has anyone been able to get a Nest Protect to work with a vera?  If so how.

not yet. We are all waiting for Google to release the official API ..

Offline ronaldc74

Hi,

Just bought 4 Nest Protect and the Vera Lite controller with some extra sensors. I believe I have read somewhere that the API?s for the Protect have been published by Nest. Are there any efforts to include the Protect in the Vera environment. That would be a nice benefit and the reason why I bought the Vera and no other controller :)

Hope someone can help.

Regards,
Ron

Offline watou

I am thinking it might now make sense to add the Protect to the existing Nest plugin. This would surface a new SmokeSensor and a new COSensor device (standard Vera device types) for each Protect it found. Any feedback on this idea?