We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: how to connect fibaro dimmer when there is 2 switches?  (Read 4593 times)

Offline yaron86

• Sr. Newbie
how to connect fibaro dimmer when there is 2 switches?
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:50:02 am »

i have a fibaro dimmer switch (Universal Dimmer 500W Insert Module), and I saw there is two way to connect it
1. using 2 wires
2. using 3 wires
but what if the switch has another swich that can turn the light on\off also?
the scenario is this: on my mom room there is a switch on the wall that can turn on\off the room light, but she also has a switch near her bed to turn on\off the room light
is it possible to connect the fibaro dimmer switch to the wall and also make her switch near the bed to work also by itself?

i need some explanation
Thanks

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: how to connect fibaro dimmer when there is 2 switches?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:24:17 am »
It sounds like you want a 3-way configuration.

Offline yaron86

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 09:32:45 am »
It sounds like you want a 3-way configuration.

thank you, but i find out now on the room that every switch has 3 wires. and the sketch shows two wire connection
is there a way to connect 2 switches that each one has 3 wires?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 09:35:54 am »
From the description that you have provided, I have no clue what switches you have or how they are actually wired. I can only encourage you to get an electrician to do this for you.

Offline yaron86

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:54 am »
From the description that you have provided, I have no clue what switches you have or how they are actually wired. I can only encourage you to get an electrician to do this for you.

in israel no one heard about zwave and fibaro products. anyhow the scenario is this:
every switch has 3 wires (the first cable is going to the light, the second cable is the phase, and the third cable is going to the second swich) like shown in the image blow:

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:25:02 pm »
The electrician doesn't really need to understand Z-Wave, they simply need to understand the wiring diagram and what is in the wall.

Perhaps these Vesternet guides will help you.
3-Position Switch with a Fibaro Dimmer

2-Way Lighting Using Fibaro Dimmer Modules
Vesternet refers to this as 2-way. But this is known as 3-way in the U.S. Two switches plus one load equals 3-way. We haven't switches to metric wiring yet.

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 03:33:56 am »

in israel no one heard about zwave and fibaro products. anyhow the scenario is this:
every switch has 3 wires (the first cable is going to the light, the second cable is the phase, and the third cable is going to the second swich) like shown in the image blow:
This may help you: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16231.msg130035.html#msg130035

Offline yaron86

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 07:04:46 am »

This may help you: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16231.msg130035.html#msg130035

i tried the same chart but the problem that just the right switch is working and the left switch doesnot work,
say like when i turn the light on with the right switch, i can't turn off the light with the left switch

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:06:54 pm »
Did you set configuration variable 17 to 1?

Offline yaron86

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 05:10:43 am »
Did you set configuration variable 17 to 1?

how do i set this?

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 05:56:34 am »
Open the device Device Options tab. Click Add configuration settings to add a new line. On the new line, change Variable to 17 and select Data Size as 1 byte dec. Enter 1 in Desired Value. Now close the device block, click Save and, when the reload has finished, refresh your browser page. If you check the Device Options tab, you should see the Current Value for variable 17 is now 1.

Offline yaron86

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 06:02:40 am »
Open the device Device Options tab. Click Add configuration settings to add a new line. On the new line, change Variable to 17 and select Data Size as 1 byte dec. Enter 1 in Desired Value. Now close the device block, click Save and, when the reload has finished, refresh your browser page. If you check the Device Options tab, you should see the Current Value for variable 17 is now 1.

sorry, but i don't have the home center 2, i use veralite

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 06:44:12 am »
These are instructions for the Vera!

- Garrett

Offline yaron86

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 12:03:19 pm »
These are instructions for the Vera!

- Garrett

wow!! it worked!!!!! wow im so happy i almost gave up with this, thank you RexBeckett!!
i have no clue what this configuration did to the dimmer, can i have a small understanding please?

also something i couldn't figure out is sometimes the light turn off completely, and sometimes there is very small light
like shown in the picture attached, im using regular on off switch

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:05:32 pm by yaron86 »

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 08:13:19 pm »
i have no clue what this configuration did to the dimmer, can i have a small understanding please?
Configuration variable 17 controls the special mode that allows two-way switching with bi-stable switches. All the configuration variables are explained in the product instructions - although not always very clearly.

also something i couldn't figure out is sometimes the light turn off completely, and sometimes there is very small light
like shown in the picture attached, im using regular on off switch
With this type of switching and an incandescent lamp, off should be off. Is it possible that you are setting a low dim level from Vera so what you are seeing is a low on rather than an off?