Author Topic: Living With Vera - Tip Of The Day  (Read 68709 times)

Offline parkerc

• Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
    • Node Central
Living With Vera - Tip Of The Day
« on: October 19, 2013, 04:20:37 am »
I managed to talk one of my best mates into purchasing a Veralite. He already had Philips Hues, Wimos and a few other items all running independently; so (under no commission) I sold him the benefits of z-wave and the interoperability of Vera as his central controller.

To help him, I thought I'd give him a nugget or two of information about his new life partner ;) so that he can get more and more out of his Vera everyday..

Then I remembered the thought power of this forum, so to help my friendand others like him, if anyone has any tips/nuggets/pearls of wisdom about Living with Vera, that they think would help others (old timers or new), please add them (or link to them) below..

1) Before you buy any new devices - there are some great plugins available for equipment you may already have, e.g Sonos, Current Cost EnviR, iPhone etc. - Allowing you to create a number of 'virtual Vera' devices and have them working together in no time at all.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:18:57 pm by parkerc »

Offline intveltr

Re: Living With Vera - Tip Of The Day
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 06:45:12 am »
2) Visit this forum every now & then, it's a great source of news, tips and help when you need it.

3) Remote controls are an underestimated factor in getting the most from your HA setup.  Get one for each room you spend time in. I got a couple of Minimotes and I use them daily.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline parkerc

• Sr. Hero Member
    • Node Central
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 01:22:13 pm »

4) Don't get hung up with the Vera web UI, there are many others you can use for your PC, Mac and smart devices. Think of it more as the background admin console, look at the Remote Control section on this forum for ideas.

Offline conchordian

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 03:41:14 am »

4) Don't get hung up with the Vera web UI, there are many others you can use for your PC...
Could you tell me what other programs for the PC exist, please?

Offline parkerc

• Sr. Hero Member
    • Node Central
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:51:18 am »
Search for 'myvera' via this forum or google   -  http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13133.0.html - it's not a executable file that you would run, but it does give you an alternative UI to use.

Or there is 'Yu Vera Remote' (for Windows) - still in its early stages - http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,15583.0.html

4b) Note - The forum search window is your best friend here, you can find most of what you want to know that way.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 04:00:03 am by parkerc »

Offline bdevaux

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:07:47 pm »
when you find a sale on z-wave items, buy more then you need

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
    • 0x8
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 06:36:42 am »
5) Dont get ANY remote !

its "Home Automation" not "home Remote Control" ;)

the vera does it all ... you just have to be creative on finding the hooks of human behavour.
1 VeraLite, 2 RaspberryPI, Harmony Remote, openLuup, 85 Devices, 34Nodes, 63 Triggers, 49 Scenes

Offline AndersH

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 06:18:55 am »
6) Do your installation step by step. Have patience. Don't install a lot of new devices at once. If (when) things starts malfunctioning, it is nice to be able to take one step back to a known state.
Vera Lite, SRT321 thermostat, Fibaro door sensors, switches and dimmers

Offline chixxi

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 08:59:39 am »
7 ) Use PLEG and not luup code right from the beginning.
8 ) Be aware that once you start, you always see more posibilites and then you want it.  ;D
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline emtschei

• FOXweather
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 09:58:38 am »
6) Do your installation step by step. Have patience. Don't install a lot of new devices at once. If (when) things starts malfunctioning, it is nice to be able to take one step back to a known state.

9) Remember to always refresh your browser after tinkering with the UI and/or installing plugins - saves you a lot of headaches (and humiliation :-[).
[CTRL]-[F5] does the trick on most browsers.

Offline buzzdavidson

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 10:57:43 pm »

Amen, brother.  I made the mistake of starting WAY too big when I first got my Vera.  Insanity followed.  It's much better now  :)

This point can't be stressed enough!

Offline Pestus

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 03:56:32 pm »
1.  Do backups of your configurations when they are stable.  Especially before making serious changes.

2. Consider a basic alarm system as a better choice for door or motion sensors.  Once integrated, they are cheaper and more reliable than the Zwave equivalents, yet do the same thing.

3. Always consider integration possibilities before buying any new electronics for the home.  There's almost always a way to make it dance with the Vera!

Offline bobnatale

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 05:44:15 pm »
1.  Do backups of your configurations when they are stable.  Especially before making serious changes.

2. Consider a basic alarm system as a better choice for door or motion sensors.  Once integrated, they are cheaper and more reliable than the Zwave equivalents, yet do the same thing.

3. Always consider integration possibilities before buying any new electronics for the home.  There's almost always a way to make it dance with the Vera!

Can someone recommend a basic alarm system as mentioned in #2?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:47:04 pm by bobnatale »

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 07:11:00 pm »
Code: [Select]
Can someone recommend a basic alarm system as mentioned in #2?I suggest you look at:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13773.0.html

Offline Pestus

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 11:36:09 pm »
ALWAYS enable notifications on battery levels for smart locks!  In other words;  NEVER have the house lock your girlfriend out!