Author Topic: Living With Vera - Tip Of The Day  (Read 91055 times)

Offline parkerc

• Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
Re: Living With Vera - Tip Of The Day
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2014, 02:39:38 am »
Tip No ??

Check out Vera's own Support Centre, it seems they are trying to provide users with more focused/categorised content -> http://support.micasaverde.com

** I personally think this site should be promoted more for FAQs etc. as it's pretty good.

Offline TC1

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2014, 06:13:10 pm »
Tip No ??

Check out Vera's own Support Centre, it seems they are trying to provide users with more focused/categorised content -> http://support.micasaverde.com

** I personally think this site should be promoted more for FAQs etc. as it's pretty good.

Its still just as bad as the wiki, because nothing is maintained/updated on a regular basis. For example, I picked this question at random:
http://support.micasaverde.com/customer/portal/questions/985926-dsc-panel-1616-and-envisalink-3-on-vera-lite

Notice the date on the original question? And I love at the bottom how it says: "This question has received the maximum number of answers." But there are NO answers.

Sorry to rant, but they are a high-tech company, their Internet presence should be given more attention.

Offline samboney21

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 05:23:37 pm »
Tasker and Veralite are an awesome combo. If your an android user and are not using tasker and autovera (plugin for vera) you need to give it a try!!!

Offline therealabdo

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2014, 04:00:38 am »
Tip #

Start using XBMC, it is a very nice media center that can controlled from vera and vise versa

Offline romanlist11

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2014, 04:46:59 pm »
Sign in so that I could write this my knowledge of VERA is worse than to NASA!
I understand why it does not VERA new version of firmware, most programmers invents method of registration. I appreciate it is pleasant to VERA hardware for a reasonable price, but that's it. Development team is wholly inadequate for producers. I tried to create the perfect automated central unit VERA but starting to regret it, the user has to be a system programmer to fix an error in VERA! Latest version is 1.5.622 public firmware 3.28 in 2013 but I think it is only a beta version. From that date VERA does not solve anything. Some time ago I wrote a thank-you email us Fibaro for their products, their central unit has pretty good support and is not far from the price VERA.
Therefore dourčujem anyone who wants a super small price, and wants only pinky installation company VERA (which is not what it is not)
For anyone who want to have super comfort support Fibaro ..

Offline mcv.vlad

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2014, 02:06:19 am »
Sign in so that I could write this my knowledge of VERA is worse than to NASA! I understand why it does not VERA new version of firmware, most programmers invents method of registration. I appreciate it is pleasant to VERA hardware for a reasonable price, but that's it...

Hello romanlist11,
Since you posted the exact same thing in multiple topics i have only approved one of your posts. If you have such big issues with Vera can you tell us what they were and if you tried to resolve them how you did that? Did you try contacting support?

Thank you,
Vlad

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2014, 02:24:32 am »
If you have such big issues with Vera can you tell us what they were and if you tried to resolve them how you did that? Did you try contacting support?

true.. MVC Support may slow .. but like everywhere in this world "you simply get what you pay for"
we can all agree that Vera Hardware is Dirt cheap .. and it does hell of a job for the very tiny price.

i had a few MVC Tickets running myself, it always take its time to response, but they always get the job done. and this is what really does count.
maybe MVC need to do some Premium support service (like apple does it) ... you pay 100 Bucks extra and the tickets never open longer than a few hours ;)

1 VeraLite, 2 RaspberryPI, Harmony Remote, openLuup, 85 Devices, 34Nodes, 63 Triggers, 49 Scenes

Offline Vodden

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2014, 09:10:58 pm »
Plan ahead!  It pays off during the install.

Do your research on sensors, receptacles, switches, plugs, etc.  There are many different flavors that can do different things, and at different price points.

Z-wave is almost always the most expensive route.  Other methods (IP, IR, RS-232, Alarm Panel) are usually much more cost effective, and sometimes more reliable.  Beats X10 and Insteon hands down tho. 

Search the forums.  The answer to your question is probably here somewhere.
Vera 3 v1.5.622, Sharp Aquos, DSC 1864, EVL-3, (2) iPhone 6, Kwikset 912, Kwikset 910, (2) Linear WT00Z-1, (2) Linear WS15Z-1, (2) Linear WD500Z-1, (2) Evolve LTM-5, (8.) Aeotec micro-dimmer,  (3) Aeotec micro-switch, (1) Cooper Aspire RF9500

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2014, 05:27:26 am »
Z-wave is almost always the most expensive route.

that is probably true, but for security and stability .. it pays back, i use myself alot of "other" ways to control things, but the essentials are 100% z-wave.
1 VeraLite, 2 RaspberryPI, Harmony Remote, openLuup, 85 Devices, 34Nodes, 63 Triggers, 49 Scenes

Offline Cslagle

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2014, 04:16:31 pm »
Here's a tip for lighting control problems.  Be sure your power wiring is stable and routes the way you think.  I was trying to replace a single pole switch with a motion sensor switch.  The switch controlled four fluorescent fixtures in a laundry room.  I tried Leviton, Lutron and Cooper.  None worked.  Each time i re-installed the good old single pole switch and it continued to work fine.  Also tried Aeon labs micro switch triggered by a motion sensor but the micro switch wouldn't work.  I ran a dedicated ground thinking my grounding to the box was weak.  I also ran a dedicated neutral thinking there was some sort of harmonics causing issues.  Those attempts got me nowhere.  I blamed all the manufacturers, the previous homeowners and the electron gods.  Finally i traced the entire circuit and found the switch was at the end of the circuit instead of the beginning.  in other words, power was going directly from the panel to the lights and the switch was in the neutral path going back to the panel.  Works fine for a normal mechanical switch but doesn't work at all for an electronic device.  Swapped things out and everything works!

I hope someone can learn from my frustrations.

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2014, 06:15:55 pm »
Hmmmm. This is probably the only mass thread I haven't posted in yet so I might as well give my two cents (forum can't cope with the cent symbol!).

If you're just starting out or you already have a fairly complex installation, take your time. No matter how much research and thinking you do today you'll always find more you can do tomorrow. So tackle what you want most NOW, camp out with it for a time and then make your next move. One of the beauties of home automation is that it's still a hobby. You'll always have new ideas on how you can make your situation sing and dance. Leave room in your head space for these new developments.

A little effort up front will probably pay off at a later date. Taking the arduous time to pull wire or waiting a few more weeks until you can afford the better device will pay off financially and psychologically in the long run. Don't have the experience or time to pull wire? Maybe you have a friend who can help you get the basics of running wire and/or patching drywall. You'll be happier in the end if you did it "right" but it took a week of Sundays. If you think you're being thrifty by getting a good "deal" on something that's coming with mixed reviews, ask yourself if you're going to be happy with your life when things don't work when you want or only work when you don't want.

Just know that out the door you'll have a technologically more sophisticated house than the vast majority (%99.X) of the people on the planet and it's all up hill from here.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2014, 07:17:10 pm »
For me the frustrations goes out at the 100 posts. Counting with this forum and peoples here being patient with starters made the difference. Go ahead and be sure in the end all will be right.
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline airedale

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2014, 06:55:56 pm »
If you are looking for some help building the luup code, you can use this to see the code to help get variables or call actions from your devices:

http://www.airedalez.net/ha/

It is being actively developed, so any support or questions, please post them over here:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,24268.0.html

Offline catchingthezwaves

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2014, 09:51:46 am »
6) Do your installation step by step. Have patience. Don't install a lot of new devices at once. If (when) things starts malfunctioning, it is nice to be able to take one step back to a known state.

This makes a ton of sense, but as I am about to jump in to the home automation with lighting controls, what is the threshold for number of devices to install?  My original thought was to purchase the controller and nearly all of the switches (for continuity).  Hearing this i may stick with the purchase plan but do a phased install.  A couple of light switches and a scene controller one weekend, test it through the week, then the next weekend install 2-3 more...and so on. 

I am anxious to get going and want to get the system up and running.  I wonder what the test period is,  could i install 3 switches, pair and program and test for say one day-if everything works... install 3 more the next day?  Any thoughts?

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2014, 10:04:54 am »
Light switches aren't really a big deal. I would go ahead and install them all. Really it's programming and installing devices which are a little more persnickety that get's confusing. Setting up scenes and so forth just how you like is a never ending process. If you make too many changes at once you will be confused when, inevitably, you throw a monkey wrench in somewhere. Also installing some devices which aren't run of the mill Z-Wave gadgets can be complicated. So best to do that type of thing methodically.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.