We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Living With Vera - Tip Of The Day  (Read 95654 times)

Offline clippermiami

Re: Living With Vera - Tip Of The Day
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2014, 11:39:55 am »
I've just received my new VERA 3 from Amazon to replace my Vera Lite and i'm in the process of configuring it on my LAN. I'm setting a temporary static IP that will eventually be replaced by the Vera Lite IP when its removed. Right now the firmware is updating to the current version so I'll be ready to go in a few minutes. I've done a full ZWave and System backup and I'm close to restoring it to my new unit.

{FINGERS CROSSED}
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline Jamr

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2014, 03:41:11 pm »
I've just received my new VERA 3 from Amazon to replace my Vera Lite and i'm in the process of configuring it on my LAN. I'm setting a temporary static IP that will eventually be replaced by the Vera Lite IP when its removed. Right now the firmware is updating to the current version so I'll be ready to go in a few minutes. I've done a full ZWave and System backup and I'm close to restoring it to my new unit.

{FINGERS CROSSED}

I am interested in knowing the details of this restoral from VL to V3. Let us know. Thanks

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2014, 04:27:00 pm »
The restore is straightforward and appears to be easy. It does note that the restore is from different hardware and says certain things will not be restored. But everything functional appears to be OK. At this point I can't them for sure, I had to fall back to the Vera Lite because the PLEG licenses are tied to the VERA Device ID they immediately failed so couldn't stay Vera 3 .. it would be better if the license was tied to something else, device independent. Hopefully Richard will be able to get back to me soon with the revised license so I can complete the conversion

Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline ALcALoIDe

« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2014, 01:06:13 am »
Hello, guys. I Just bought my Vera lite and am eager to see things working like i would like. But it seems that it is not that easy. So i would like to thank you for this thread. I will try to read as much as i can, but keep those tips coming. For newbees like me, these tips are precious.

I am already having problem sensors, but will not give up. Just have to learn the process first, i believe.

Vera Plus UI7 and lots of zwave devices

Offline geotech

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2014, 06:22:46 pm »
Hello, guys. I Just bought my Vera lite and am eager to see things working like i would like. But it seems that it is not that easy. So i would like to thank you for this thread. I will try to read as much as i can, but keep those tips coming. For newbees like me, these tips are precious.

I am already having problem sensors, but will not give up. Just have to learn the process first, i believe.

I had issues with sensors when I first try to add to my Z-wave network. Sensors can be tricky because most of them are battery operated with no active signal back to the Vera unless the sensor is tripped. What you need to do is keep the sensor active during the entire inclusion process and polling. For examples, if it is a door Opened/Closed sensor, keep closing and opening the sensor with the magnet over and over until the Z-wave inclusion is complete. If you just leave it at Closed or Opened position, it will not send any signal to the Vera box for inclusion.

Hope this helps.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2014, 08:10:40 am »
I had issues with sensors when I first try to add to my Z-wave network. Sensors can be tricky because most of them are battery operated with no active signal back to the Vera unless the sensor is tripped. What you need to do is keep the sensor active during the entire inclusion process and polling. For examples, if it is a door Opened/Closed sensor, keep closing and opening the sensor with the magnet over and over until the Z-wave inclusion is complete. If you just leave it at Closed or Opened position, it will not send any signal to the Vera box for inclusion.

Hope this helps.
Tripping and untripping the sensors to keep them awake, as described above, is not adequate for most sensors. Most sensors have a way of keeping the sensor awake for an extended period of minutes so that they can be included and configured. The method varies. The keep awake method may be to leave the battery cover off or it may require pressing the inclusion button in a specific sequence. Look at your sensor's manual for the precise way to keep it awake for inclusion and configuration.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 10:44:48 pm »

{FINGERS CROSSED}

You may want to check this as chances are due to the restore, the root password (which is on the bottom of the Vera) is not the one for the Vera3 but the one for your old Vera Lite as that password is part of the restore. This has bitten quite a few people including myself and can be frustrating to figure out. 
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline Bboy486

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2014, 06:59:19 pm »

Search for 'myvera' via this forum or google   -  http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,13133.0.html - it's not a executable file that you would run, but it does give you an alternative UI to use.

Or there is 'Yu Vera Remote' (for Windows) - still in its early stages - http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,15583.0.html

4b) Note - The forum search window is your best friend here, you can find most of what you want to know that way.

Anything for Mac/idevice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dominoman

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2014, 04:35:12 am »
This topic has dried up.

Anyone else got a tip of the day?  As a newbie even recycled tips are useful.

Here's my tip:
To save on on/off switches connect an extension cable to a single z-wave switch and plug all your computer equipment, monitors, speakers etc into that.  It means only buying one switch to control lots of stuff.  Personally, I use the TKB plug-in switch which also gives power consumption readings.

(OK - that may be obvious, but hey ho).   ::)

Offline aa6vh

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2014, 10:09:14 am »
To save on on/off switches connect an extension cable to a single z-wave switch and plug all your computer equipment, monitors, speakers etc into that.  It means only buying one switch to control lots of stuff.  Personally, I use the TKB plug-in switch which also gives power consumption readings.

That is a good idea. But be sure that you do not overload that switch.

Offline Borat

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2014, 05:43:02 pm »
My first tip would be to use fibaro dimmers for lights if possible and then use s2 and the built in scene controller with pleg. Extremely powerful and flexible way of adding functionality for anything you like to a switch.

My second would be to keep an eye on memory if using a vera lite especially.

Offline conchordian

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2014, 08:47:59 pm »
My first tip would be to use fibaro dimmers for lights if possible and then use s2 and the built in scene controller with pleg. Extremely powerful and flexible way of adding functionality for anything you like to a switch.

Could you expand on this, please?  Does the s2 need a separate physical switch connected to it?  How are you using it?

Offline Borat

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2014, 06:03:42 pm »

Could you expand on this, please?  Does the s2 need a separate physical switch connected to it?  How are you using it?

You can initiate scenes from s1 as well, eg with a double or triple click, butas some of these are also controlling the light it is much more powerful with s2 connected. You have to enable double click in the parameters and then use pleg to process the scene ids. I use it for sonos control, lighting scenes, home state functions and smart switch operation. Let me know if you want any help setting it up.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2014, 07:29:01 pm »
If you like your existing non-Z Wave switches, you can install micro switches inside the wall box as a form of control. These are less expensive than full switches, will work with existing multi-switch configurations, and allow full controls. They do not support beaming, however, so you can't use them as a route between the controller and a lock device (as an example).

Offline conchordian

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2014, 08:05:18 pm »
You can initiate scenes from s1 as well, eg with a double or triple click, butas some of these are also controlling the light it is much more powerful with s2 connected. You have to enable double click in the parameters and then use pleg to process the scene ids. I use it for sonos control, lighting scenes, home state functions and smart switch operation. Let me know if you want any help setting it up.

Is PLEG  a requirement, or can you use LUUP code to trigger stuff from the scene IDs?

Thanks.

To answer my own question, no, PLEG isn't needed:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,15855.msg200101.html#msg200101
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:41:58 am by conchordian »