We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Living With Vera - Tip Of The Day  (Read 94983 times)

Offline ballroller

Re: Living With Vera - Tip Of The Day
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2014, 11:14:05 am »
Be sure to manually backup and save to your computer on a regular basis. Especially if you don't plan on making many changes over a long period of time. You might lose a node (or all nodes), try to back up, and realize that your auto backups don't go far enough back. Personal experience.

Offline dominoman

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2014, 06:33:22 am »
I installed a Secure two channel boiler controller over the weekend.  It was easy to fit and now I can turn heating on and off remotely and with timers and scenes

I only wish I had done it earlier.  It should save me money too because I'm often out late after work and can just flick the heating off from my mobile - if I remember

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2014, 10:49:46 am »
I installed a Secure two channel boiler controller over the weekend.  It was easy to fit and now I can turn heating on and off remotely and with timers and scenes

I only wish I had done it earlier.  It should save me money too because I'm often out late after work and can just flick the heating off from my mobile - if I remember

Now you need a Vera function to send you a reminder to turn on the heating. then you'll need a Vera reminder to remind you to turn on your mobile so you'll need another mobile in case the first one is off and then .... :)
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline tony-park

« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2014, 05:35:10 am »

Now you need a Vera function to send you a reminder to turn on the heating. then you'll need a Vera reminder to remind you to turn on your mobile so you'll need another mobile in case the first one is off and then .... :)

Sounds like you need geofencing  ???

Offline jaded

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2015, 01:15:47 am »
When buying switches (especially looking for deals on clearance merchandise), be aware of the style of switch you're buying.  I recommend you pick one style and stick with it.  GE/Jasco and Evolve switches have top-push-on/bottom-push-off rocker action, while Leviton switches have bottom-push-toggle action.  I started by buying whatever I found on clearance, but the resultant mess was hard for guests to the house to figure out.  I eventually removed all the Leviton switches (they were the most confusing to most people) and replaced them with rocker type switches, and everyone is happier now.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2015, 02:07:08 am »
When buying switches (especially looking for deals on clearance merchandise), be aware of the style of switch you're buying.  I recommend you pick one style and stick with it.  GE/Jasco and Evolve switches have top-push-on/bottom-push-off rocker action, while Leviton switches have bottom-push-toggle action.  I started by buying whatever I found on clearance, but the resultant mess was hard for guests to the house to figure out.  I eventually removed all the Leviton switches (they were the most confusing to most people) and replaced them with rocker type switches, and everyone is happier now.

Great tip. I made this mistake myself with some switches.

Offline Gr8hifi

« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2015, 12:10:08 am »
Highly recommend that you make sure the Vera has a manually assigned IP.  My VeraEdge decided to change IP's and it caused a bit of a mess.  I turned on manually assigned IP's in my router.  Now, when the Vera MAC address ask for an IP, it always gets the same one.

And, on iOS, the program "Fing" is your friend if you (or a client) ever lose the Vera's IP address....

Offline RoChess

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2015, 12:22:13 pm »
Fing is also available on Android, and indeed very useful in finding not just the IP that a device use, but also to help identify a device if you have a lot of them.

As for Vera tip of the day, be sure to have a failure-recovery plan in place. My Vera3 is down right now due to a with failing Z-Wave module, and I am thrown back into the dark ages of manually having to control my home again.

Being able to monitor the energy usage of the dishwasher seemed like a good idea, and I did not stop to consider the consequences of installing an Aeon-Labs 1st generation SmartSwitch behind it away from easy access (Z-Wave doesn't fail right?). Of course now I regretted that view, as the Vera3 failure meant I was unable to clean any dishes (well the easy way anyway).

Thankfully I have a ton of HA07 master controllers (free add-on from a cheap bundle I found) that I use as Vera3 scene controllers. They have a "Z-Wave ALL ON" button on them, and it allowed me to power the dishwasher again.

Was forced to go around the house and manually turn off a bunch of other devices. Can not use the "Z-Wave ALL OFF" button, because my fridges, and waterheater are also monitored for energy consumption with an in-line Aeon-Labs SmartSwitch.

Testing HomeSeer out right now as my faith in Vera has been shaken (worked awesome for 215 days though), and it actually supports Z-Wave modules being excluded from the "Z-Wave ALL" commands or to create groups for it, so I will have many new options available soon.

Offline Vodden

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2015, 10:47:16 am »
Testing HomeSeer out right now...

I too am giving this a go.  I'm still running UI5 and will eventually have to bite the bullet and install/learn a new UI, so after reading a thread on how rock solid HS3 is, I decided to give it a try.  It is a bit of a learning curve but a curve I would have to explore regardless with UI7, so rather than have to deal with an underdeveloped UI, I opted for the HS route.  So far I have been impressed with the software and the forum support.  I have yet to receive the Z-stick for the Z-wave devices, but I have tried out the DSC and Sonos plug-ins and have been impressed. 

We'll see how it goes with z-wave inclusion. 
Vera 3 v1.5.622, Sharp Aquos, DSC 1864, EVL-3, (2) iPhone 6, Kwikset 912, Kwikset 910, (2) Linear WT00Z-1, (2) Linear WS15Z-1, (2) Linear WD500Z-1, (2) Evolve LTM-5, (8.) Aeotec micro-dimmer,  (3) Aeotec micro-switch, (1) Cooper Aspire RF9500

Offline Reliance

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2015, 12:31:59 am »
When I'm working on a PLEG or some Luup. I often need the ID of a scene or device. I've found that a quick search through the output of this URL is a quick way to find that kind of info:

http://IP-OF-VERA:3480/data_request?id=user_data2&output_format=xml

If you have the EventWatcher App installed and you find the XML a bit verbose and hard to read, you can use

http://<ip of your VERA>:3480/data_request?id=lr_EventWatcher&report=devices

http://<ip of your VERA>:3480/data_request?id=lr_EventWatcher&report=scenes

DSC 1864, AEON Dimmers and Switch, Fibaro Universal Sensors, DHS Double, iTach Flex IP, Arduino

Offline Ryanoc75

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2015, 12:14:36 pm »
POWER CYCLING IS YOUR FRIEND!

This is long but may be helpful to some newcomers.....

I am quite surprised that this topic made it through 6 pages and no one mentioned technology's favourite cure to most problems... when Murphy's Law has been invoked by Vera (had to laugh at those posts because it's SO TRUE that whenever you want to show Vera off, she will have none of it!) What I have found is that if she seems unresponsive or isn't doing what she's told, pulling the power cord out from the back and waiting a second or two and putting it back in and let her start up "usually" fixes most problems.  I personally have Vera perform a restart at 3 am daily.  While some may think this is excessive, it's usually right before she performs her automatic nightly "heal" process and I personally have found the network and Vera to be way more stable when she's been refreshed daily and I have far fewer headaches as a result.

When she's running very well, do a manual backup and save it in a few places, they may come in handy in the future or when expanding a network and things get messed up.  Do a manual backup BEFORE adding new devices as you expand your network.  I once had a new device literally wipe Vera of all her devices and suddenly nothing was paired (don't ask how MCV doesn't even know but what I do know is that the backup I had done just before it happened saved my bacon)  More IS better with Zwave!

I agree with the comments about installing all the switches, however I would say for new people, only "add" 2 or 3 at a time, then label them and test them and then move on to your next batch. If you add a device by bringing it close to Vera and then place the switch or whatever some distance away, running a 'heal network" will often help Vera "find" the new device your trying to control. (We have 1 Vera and z wave devices in 5 outbuildings some nearly 200 ft away from the controller with excellent range - If you want to control something far away, put other devices in between to help communicate.)

Also don't be too alarmed if Vera randomly tries to show off her many talents and you wake at 4 am to find the house a blaze with lights turned on (she's just practicing lol) In those situations its best to just shut off the lights and go to bed and let Vera sort it out

USE THIS FORUM !  the contributors and experts here are wonderful people who will save you from going bald or wanting to hurt yourself or Vera  (I say this as I have added the ability to use Siri to control Vera and scenes and devices and its super cool! but I nearly went crazy trying to make it work and couldn't have without this form)

Finally, be patient and take things bit by bit step by step  your relationship with Vera will get stronger in time.   When I started it was very confusing and things didn't always go as planned or work as they should, but with time and patience I now have a very extensive, very stable, very cool automated home that my 65 year old mother is very comfortable coexisting with Vera in (they too took some time to bond, but they have now, and my mom loves Vera and Vera shows her much love in return, finally!  I bought Vera when my mom was widowed as I didn't want her coming home to a dark empty house. Now whenever she comes home Vera has opened her garage door and turned on her lights  and adjusted her HVAC and turned off the alarm and unlocked her doors and mom doesn't feel quite as alone. )
Vera3 2gig Thermostat, Kwickset door lock, DSC Alarm Panel wiznet - IT100, 7 DSC motion Sens 4 DSC 3way sen, 5 DSC door cont,  Aeon HEM pwr mon, Aeon 4in1 multi sens, 8 GE dimmers, 8 GE switches, 15 Intermatic plugs, GC100 Wifi, 2 F/F Sens, 5 HA07 RFremotes, Siri Homekit Bridge 10 Cams, 4 SmrtSwitch

Offline logmaster

« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2015, 08:02:36 am »
Never install a new firmware if your system is stable and working without any issues.
The only exception is if there is a major update which includes features you need, and only after you check with other people that the firmware is not buggy.

Offline RoChess

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2015, 04:27:57 pm »
@logmaster, amen! Made that mistake on last firmware update as some features looked good, but now both of my Enerwave ZWN-BPC motion sensors stopped working.

Also had to manually fix 6 other battery sensors, but they kept working once fixed.

Really irritating, because Vera killed the manual "heal" option that normally fixes this issue.

Both sensors are just configured on a lot of scenes, so deleting the device to repair is my last resort.

Offline CudaNet

• Beta Testers
  • Chimichanga !
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2015, 07:05:46 pm »
UI7..
Cinderblock...
Roll of duct tape...
A boat or a plane to locate deepest water source...
Kaplunk !

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 03:45:59 pm by CudaNet »
openLuup, AltUI, Zway and HomeWave, enough said...

Offline jjessop

« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2015, 09:35:25 pm »
Could not agree more with the last 3 posts!!

UI7..
Cinderblock...
Roll of duct tape...
A boat or a plane to locate deepest water source...
Kaplunk !