We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Revisiting the Leviton VRCS2  (Read 7801 times)

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Revisiting the Leviton VRCS2
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 01:26:27 pm »
If you operate the switch from Vera, does the LED behave correctly, and instantly?
Bah! If you operate the switch/local load from the Vera GUI, the LED does not respond at all. But worse still, my switch becomes unstable, requiring double taps to turn off and turning back on does not light the LED. I then have to reboot the switch at the breaker to restore operation as described earlier. Scenes update the LED as expected, of course.

twitch

Offline sgruby

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 06:18:42 pm »
I didn?t experience this; the lights responded instantly from the Vera UI and the LEDs came on (I really don?t care about the LEDs). Then I was able to use the buttons to toggle the local loads.

As for what I had before; I had tried both on and off scenes as well as toggle scenes.

I have no idea why I have all the luck on this one :-)

Offline RichCanyon

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 06:20:35 pm »
I too have been struggling mightily to get my VRCS2 to operate in a usable way. @sgruby's instructions do work and the switch behaves like a proper switch should: instant response. However, once I run a scene against the switch it becomes unstable again (requiring the double-tap to actuate), which is the same behaviour @Z-Waver reported after he tried the fix. Removing power from the device resets it and it works perfectly again.

No doubt there's something that needs to be set/reset to resolve the issue, but I'm at a loss as to what or how to figure it out.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 06:36:23 am »
@RichCanyon,

Welcome!

These are alternate ways of including / setting up / configuring the VRCS2, that folks have discovered, and retain (some of) the desired default functionality.

This is not the way the device is normally set up. Have you tried just including the VRCS2 and then setting up on/off scenes to program the buttons? (So without the manual associations and breaker cycle?)

With a good Z-Wave path between Vera and VRCS2, this should result in fast response times of the switches. The LED updates may be a bit slower (but that is probably ok; it is more important that they actually reflect the state of the scene, so you don't need double-taps).

Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 01:43:56 pm »
I have no idea why I have all the luck on this one :-)
Including the device exactly as you described, and then after that never creating a scene in Vera triggered by one of the scene buttons, may be the key to luck.

Offline RichCanyon

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 08:37:22 am »
@RichCanyon,

This is not the way the device is normally set up. Have you tried just including the VRCS2 and then setting up on/off scenes to program the buttons? (So without the manual associations and breaker cycle?)

With a good Z-Wave path between Vera and VRCS2, this should result in fast response times of the switches. The LED updates may be a bit slower (but that is probably ok; it is more important that they actually reflect the state of the scene, so you don't need double-taps).

I performed my initial setup using the instructions created by @biggsworld in the thread "Leviton VRCS2 2 button load and scene controller - How I got it to work in UI5". This method used on and off scenes and suffered from both response delays and the frequent need for a double tap. That's why I was so pleased to see the instant response I got by use the technique described in this thread.

My VRCS2 is in a box with two other Vizia RF devices, and there are 7 (or so) other Vizia's in areas less than 20 feet away, so I don't think there's any communication issue.

I have noticed that sometimes the VRCS2 does work instantly, but it never lasts. I continue to believe that the answer lies in understanding what changes when it begins to work properly. That's just going to take some digging. Since I'm a newbie it's going to take a bit more effort on my part to get there, but I am going to try to figure it out. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:42:04 am by oTi@ »

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 09:56:08 am »
@RichCanyon - Have you looked at this thread. It seems to be producing very good results, so far.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 12:11:19 pm »
I performed my initial setup using the instructions created by @biggsworld [...]. This method used on and off scenes and suffered from both response delays and the frequent need for a double tap.
I see. That is the generic way of doing it. This makes it very flexible, but inherently has a response delay for the LEDs, which at least partially, is attributable to the instant status updates; this takes a bit.

If you also observe response delays in terms of executing the actual scene, there may be a routing issue. It also depends on whether you have just Leviton devices or a mix of brands in your scene.

The double taps are indicative of missing LED updates. I feel the LED updates are particularly prone to 'getting lost'. But it could also be a routing issue, if your scene didn't properly run. Doing some methodical testing may isolate this.

That's why I was so pleased to see the instant response I got by use the technique described in this thread.
Sure; but see my previous post, ...

However, once I run a scene against the switch it becomes unstable again (requiring the double-tap to actuate), which is the same behaviour @Z-Waver reported after he tried the fix. Removing power from the device resets it and it works perfectly again.
... you added a scene. This changes things. The buttons are part of the scene controller, so they don't toggle the loads, they toggle the scene. The LED indicates the state of the scene.

If you tell Vera to not control the LEDs of the VRCS2 (on the Scenes tab of the VRCS2) and power-cycle the VRCS2, you will get fast LED updates. However, you have now changed the definition of an active scene, by letting it be equivalent to the state of the local load only. (Or put differently: having scenes on Vera, but not allowing her to update the LEDs, is contradictory.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:13:26 pm by oTi@ »