We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera and an ISY994i  (Read 140865 times)

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Vera and an ISY994i
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2013, 10:53:50 pm »
Glad to hear it is working!

- Garrett

Offline Ds514

• Because automatic.
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2013, 08:56:29 am »
Me too. A word to the wise:

The ISY works much better if it is left in charge of all links in the system.  When you add a new device to the ISY, it asks if you want to:
  • Remove Existing Links
  • Add devices found in links and remove existing links
  • Add Devices Found in Links and keep existing links
It is recommended that you choose option 1, which will clear any links you created in the device. 

In addition, it may be best to be sure that Insteon is completely disabled in the Vera before proceeding with this. Yes, this may mean that a lot of work gets lost, but if this plugin is used, those original Insteon devices, scenes, and unobserved artefacts may be a hinderance.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2013, 10:21:34 pm »
Just installed ISY_20131203_v01.zip  ... suggestion: update post #1 with the latest so people don't have to search every page :)
It pulled in my 16 Insteon dimmers and I'm creating both 'Programs' (ISY) and 'Automation' (Vera) to test out how they both work.
-  Programming the ISY, at least for simple If/Then/Else is such a breath of fresh air. I almost forgot how this stuff should be :)

One issue and One FYI...

Issue... ISY Scenes do not work when controlling a light from Vera. In ISY you can create a "Scene" (linking two or more devices together - so they are synchronized).  With this, when you control one device, either locally/manually or using the ISY - it will trigger the other devices in that Scene. When controlling any of those devices with Vera, it does not do this. I think what this tells me is that Vera. Clearly, not ideal :)

FYI...  Immediately after initial install, when I controlled an ISY Insteon device from inside Vera, the control worked, status reported properly in ISY but status in Vera UI never changed - Vera showed the device Off or whatever % it was when it was pulled in from the ISY.  After Restart the ISY device in Vera - everything worked properly.

thanks for working on this guys!!!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:27:58 pm by Aaron »

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2013, 02:02:40 am »
Just installed ISY_20131203_v01.zip  ... suggestion: update post #1 with the latest so people don't have to search every page :)
It is actually in the MIOS apps repository, which is the main place to get it?it might be an installable plugin someday.

It pulled in my 16 Insteon dimmers and I'm creating both 'Programs' (ISY) and 'Automation' (Vera) to test out how they both work.
-  Programming the ISY, at least for simple If/Then/Else is such a breath of fresh air. I almost forgot how this stuff should be :)

One issue and One FYI...

Issue... ISY Scenes do not work when controlling a light from Vera. In ISY you can create a "Scene" (linking two or more devices together - so they are synchronized).  With this, when you control one device, either locally/manually or using the ISY - it will trigger the other devices in that Scene. When controlling any of those devices with Vera, it does not do this. I think what this tells me is that Vera. Clearly, not ideal :)
This is how it is supposed to work.  That's how the ISY works too.   When you control a light from a physical device, that can be configured as a controller, so it will set the other light too.   If you control *just* the light from ISY, only the one light with responsd.  If you control the *scene* from ISY, the scene will respond.  If you want to recreate that in Vera, you would need to do one of the following:
1- create a vera scene that calls "runScene" on the main ISY device
2- create a program in the ISY that runs whenever the "status" of the device changes to what should be the scene

FYI...  Immediately after initial install, when I controlled an ISY Insteon device from inside Vera, the control worked, status reported properly in ISY but status in Vera UI never changed - Vera showed the device Off or whatever % it was when it was pulled in from the ISY.  After Restart the ISY device in Vera - everything worked properly.

thanks for working on this guys!!!
Sounds like the daemon on Vera wasn't running.  If the daemon isn't running, you can still do a bunch of control, but no status updates.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline Aaron

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2013, 12:09:59 pm »
Gotcha.

Idea...
Can you add a feature where ISY Scenes are created in Vera as a Device?
- This would create some simplicity when interfacing ISY-Vera-RemoteUIs (like AHHD) and reduce the need to create Automation in Vera to trigger a scene.
- My intent is to pull as much functionality from Vera into the ISY (keep Vera to a bare min). I use AuthomationHD and Zwave devices, so I still need Vera.

I need to find ways to move more Vera functionality into ISY...
  • Ping devices
  • Weather
  • Vacation Ghost
  • Data Mine
  • Vera Alerts
  • Foscam / IP Cameras

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2013, 12:49:30 pm »
The latest code can be found here:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_universal_devices_isy_plugin/browser

I was thinking of adding the ability to populate the ISY scenes into vera but I have not for the following reasons:

1. Scenes on both devices should be only on their respective platform.
2. I did not want to fill my vera with a lot of scenes from the ISY.

- Garrett

Offline Aaron

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2013, 01:15:02 pm »
The latest code can be found here:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_universal_devices_isy_plugin/browser

I was thinking of adding the ability to populate the ISY scenes into vera but I have not for the following reasons:

1. Scenes on both devices should be only on their respective platform.
2. I did not want to fill my vera with a lot of scenes from the ISY.

- Garrett

I understand... though, some would be helpful. What if we had added suffix to the ISY Scenes we wanted to show in Vera. Something like...

Kitchen Lights-vera

... when brought into Vera it would just show ' Kitchen Lights'

Offline Ds514

• Because automatic.
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2013, 05:25:54 pm »
I started to write a plugin that is based off futzle's upnp proxy plugin.

Am I correct in assuming that this either requires futzle's upnp proxy to be running or that it is compatible with it running? As a re-read this, I begin to feel that this may mean that the two running concurrently is potentially redundant or even problematic.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »
Some of her code from the upnp proxy daemon was used. The ISY event daemon is based off of it, but heavily modified to work with the ISY. The two are complete different in what they do.

- Garrett

Offline Ds514

• Because automatic.
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2013, 10:42:24 am »
Ok, understood.

Is the altid variable in the advanced settings meaningful to the ISY? i.e., is the Insteon address indicated in this setting the actual address that the plugin uses to technically communicate with individual devices?

I ask because I am still trying to solve the remaining issue that I have of a missing 8 button KPL. I am looking at the possibility of manually creating a scene controller device in the image of a functioning 6-button that I have. What I am not sure about is if entering the Insteon address of the 8-button in this field will actually facilitate communication with the device.

Beyond this, on the same topic, I wonder if there is some method by which a device can be "pushed" from the ISY to the plugin in a case like this in which it is not being recognized.

The one confounding variable with this KPL is that the main load that it operates is apparently non-existent. The previous homeowner seems to have covered up whatever junction box this would have operated and so, although the device currently receives power (and operates within the ISY), it does not appear to have an actual load and it is possible that its circuit is not completed.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2013, 12:00:56 pm »
Most of my KPL's do not have a load connected to it. They are only powered to use for scene controllers.

Yes, the alltid is manually the physical address of the insteon device. It should match that of the ISY. Manually creating the scene controller and putting in the insteon id into the altid will not cause the plugin to recognize it. Under the hood, the plugin keeps track of the devices it finds upon starting. Can you do the following:

In a browser window put the following url in: http://isy_ip/rest/nodes/devices

Where the isy_ip is the ip address of your isy device. Can you provide me the output of the xml from the above link. I would like to see what the ISY reports for the KPL device in regards of the type field, etc.

- Garrett

Offline Ds514

• Because automatic.
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2013, 12:33:00 pm »
Garrett, I have attached the XML output. The device in question is 22 F3 74. Any insight is appreciated.

BTW: there is also a good chance that my PLM is dying or defective. I have a new one arriving tomorrow. Again, not sure if this could be a variable.

EDIT: Traced PLM issue to interference from powerline networking equipment. I believe this can be eliminated as a variable.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:08:28 pm by Ds514 »

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2013, 01:07:32 am »
Looked over your xml file and noticed that the Dimmer KPL has a Device Category of 65. I do not see anything in the documentation for a category of 65 for a dimmer kpl. Is this a new dimmer kpl?

- Garrett

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2013, 01:13:04 am »
Looked over your xml file and noticed that the Dimmer KPL has a Device Category of 65. I do not see anything in the documentation for a category of 65 for a dimmer kpl. Is this a new dimmer kpl?

- Garrett
Garrett,
Category 1 with subcategory 65 and 66 are the new Dual-band Dimmer KPLs.  I have some too.
Since I am not using any of the KPLs for scene controls in Vera, so I didn't notice they were missing.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2013, 04:01:51 am »
I'll add them to the list.

- Garrett

Update:
Pushed out new commit with support for the Dual Band Dimmer KPL's. Ds514, download the L_ISYController.lua file and upload it to Vera. It should see your new kpl device.

- Garrett
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:05:06 am by garrettwp »