Author Topic: NorthQ or Aeon  (Read 2961 times)

Offline allmoney.ws

• Vera 3
NorthQ or Aeon
« on: November 13, 2013, 08:18:32 am »
Aeon Labs Z-Wave Clamp Power Meter or NorthQ Z-Wave Data Logger for E-Meters more precisely? How you think?

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
Re: NorthQ or Aeon
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 09:59:43 am »
So really a question about data loggers vs. clamp-on power meters, rather than manufacturers per se ?

I originally bought a clamp-on meter (Aeon) but had to send it back because the clamps were not the right size, so I switched to a data logger (NorthQ)... and I am SO glad that I did.

The pros and cons seem to be:
  • Accuracy - a clamp-on is only, say, 5% accurate (a wild guess), whereas a data logger records exactly what your electricity supplier believes you use.  A clamp-on has to use an assumed line voltage and actually calculates Volt Amps rather than Watts, whereas a utility meter measures the voltage and the phase angle of the load.
  • Reliability - not that the device itself is unreliable, but Vera and Z-Wave can be, so there are periods of time when your data acquisition will be down.  What happened during that time?  Who knows, if you have a clamp-on, but with a logger you can tell exactly how much power has been used and what the average consumption was in the intervening time.
  • Utility - (excuse the pun) - an actual meter reading is so much more useful than an instantaneous rate of consumption.  You can check your utility bill, read your meter without being there (my system emails me the meter reading every week), and do long-term averages whenever you need (how much more power did I use this month than the same month last year, etc.)

The NorthQ logger has a slightly tricky configuration, but is easy to physically install.  I recorded my experience of the process here, which may be useful.: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,12569.msg95260.html#msg95260

I've also made modifications to the NorthQ plugin so that the NorthQ device itself reports power, rather than the plugin, here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,16082.msg122857.html#msg122857

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:02:22 am by akbooer »
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.