We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Using plugin dimmer module with switchlinc  (Read 2023 times)

Offline boojew

Using plugin dimmer module with switchlinc
« on: June 15, 2014, 11:38:02 pm »
Hey guys-  so running Alsteon I have a switchlinc dimmer that is set as the controller for a plugin lamp dimmer. 95% works perfectly, but I have two issues I was hoping someone here would know about

1. When using the "last dimness" setting switch allows the switch to go to the last setting rather than completely on, the plugin module ignores the dimness level and goes to 100%. The switchlinc shows the correct brightness

2. When I control the switchlinc from my Vera, the lamp module does not respond.

Any ideas on either issue?

Thanks!

Offline PurdueGuy

Re: Using plugin dimmer module with switchlinc
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:39:59 pm »
It sounds like things are working as designed.

1) Vera doesn't use a generic "on" command, it always uses levels.  Even clicking "On" from the UI results in a message that essentially says "set to 100%."  Altsteon takes that, translates it into the appropriate command, and sends it.  I had a way around this, but it involved editing code or LUA files.  I will have to look.

2) That's as designed.  No Insteon setup repeats messages down the chain.  Imagine if you had 2 device, A and B, and either could turn the other one.  You turn on A, which turns o B, which turns on A, which turns on B...the firestorm might not end.  Use a scene instead of controlling the switchlinc directly.  Then the switchlinc and dimmer will be in sync.
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon

Offline boojew

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 12:16:54 pm »
Ah Got it. You would think the Insteon WOULD pass it on as it's the designated controller for the plugin modue, but then again - I'm always surprised what I learn about HA :) Thank you. I will look into that later today. Dumb question time:
1. If its a dimmer, how do I make it so that the Vera passed along the "dimmness" level?
2. Could I store the "last dim" level as a variable for when the light is turned back on?

Thanks

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 03:59:46 pm »
1) I haven't had a chance to look just yet to confirm.   I recall doing something special if the value is 100. I believe I would send just an "on" command if the value was 100, instead of an "on @ 100" command.  Unfortunately, this means there is NO way to set the switch to 100, since the code will always intercept that.

2) You could...however, I have never done this.  I am not sure how either.  You would need to catch each update, and then store that away.  It can be done, but I just don't know offhand how.  Others could chime in.

Offline boojew

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 04:54:26 pm »
Re: 1 - problem solved. the answer was Insteon groups. I grouped the lamplinc and the switchlinc together and now, changes to one get reflected on both - including any actions taken from the Vera :)

That being said, resuming to the last dim level doesnt work despite the fact that I have set the switchlinc and lamplinc to resume. Oh well.. I wil see what I can do about that

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 06:55:58 pm »
Re: 1 - problem solved. the answer was Insteon groups. I grouped the lamplinc and the switchlinc together and now, changes to one get reflected on both - including any actions taken from the Vera :)

That being said, resuming to the last dim level doesnt work despite the fact that I have set the switchlinc and lamplinc to resume. Oh well.. I wil see what I can do about that
So you linked the lamplinc and the switchlinc together, and if you send an "direct on" to the switchlinc from Vera, the lamplinc will also respond?  Or are you sending a "scene on" from vera?

Offline boojew

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 12:23:00 am »
Insteon allows for grouping  basically you pair the switchlinc with the lamplinc to make it a controller and then you do the inverse starting with the lamplinc. Or something along those lines. Details are in the 2477d manual. That being said it worked yesterday like a charm.  I could control the switch from the dimmer, the dimmer from the switch and any change made through my Vera to one was cascaded to the other.  But today it's not working. No clue why. Sigh. I will try and find some time to troubleshoot this weekend

Offline PurdueGuy

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 12:38:49 am »
Ok, that's what I thought.  You linked them together manually, which is by design.  But they won't cascade.   It simply isn't designed that way.  Otherwise, one could (accidentally) design a system where turning on a single light results in every device in the home turning on.