We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera vs Control4  (Read 3202 times)

Offline goldenboy

Vera vs Control4
« on: November 19, 2013, 05:13:32 pm »
I am new with home automation, would you please let me know the advantages and disadvantages of Vera vs Control4?
I can list the below with my poor knowledge:

ADVANTAGES of VERA over Control4:
- Vera controller is cheaper than Control4
- Vera uses Z-wave protocol, so we are not limited on any brands.
- There are many plugins which can be installed.

ADVANTAGES of VERA over Control4:
- Easy access to local music from USB flash drive directly connected to Control4 controller, but for Vera I have to use NAS which is expensive and I have to install a plugin.
- In-built IR Emitters and IR Blaster can control TV, DVD player and set-top box and media player, by Control4 APP or remote control without any interface which Vera needs like SQ Blaster, Itach & Irule, Sonos, etc.
- Home theater control, multi-room
- Wired and Wireless solutions
- Integrated system for all needs, there is not need to install different plugins and apps. Everything is done with Control4 app.
- Professional remote control which can control and program everything including A/V.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
Re: Vera vs Control4
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:52:25 pm »
Not a comparison:
Sustainment costs - control 4 high

Control does really on external 3rd party drivers. Have a look for extra vegetable which provide Z-wave capabilities using Vera, sonos capability and the list goes on.

Offline Chris H.

Re: Vera vs Control4
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 06:46:27 pm »
These are two completely separate markets. If you have the money and are willing to spend $30k - $100k and don't want to have to figure anything out and have a professional installer setup everything for you then buy control 4. I had a real estate client that spent $40k on his Control 4 system, when he purchased his new home he elected to not go the Control 4 route this time. His last service call cost him $1200.

Vera is a Hobbiest / Integrators market. If you like to tinker than this is for you, or if you want a platform that allows you to setup your clients with this solution and your support than this is a good product.

So I guess the main question is who is the audience? For the end user with no tech knowledge or just wants stuff to work, buy Control 4 or have an integrator install Vera and maintain it on a support contract. For the rest of us Vera is the best at this time. This may change when the Almond+ is released around February 2014.
Vera Lite (1), Trane Thermostat (1), Yale Deadbolt (1), Foscam FI9821w (4), GE 45602 (1), GE 45603 (2), Intermatic CA600(11)/CA3000(6)/CA5100(4)/CA3500(3), Aeon Labs MicroSmartSwitch (1), Aeon Door/Window Sensors (3), EnvisaLink 3 on DSC 1616 (1), OpenSprinklerPi