Author Topic: Blue iris vs DVR?  (Read 18742 times)

Offline col8eral

Re: Blue iris vs DVR?
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2017, 06:14:17 am »
If I connect PoE cams through a PoE switch.  Do I connect that Switch to the BI host PC?

If that iis the case how to I add all those PoE cams to Vera?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2017, 11:53:09 am »
If I connect PoE cams through a PoE switch.  Do I connect that Switch to the BI host PC?

Sure you can.

If that iis the case how to I add all those PoE cams to Vera?

LOL. Cameras don't physically ever connect to vera. When you have a router and switches and other things (for simplicity) that split the internet that's a network. As long as everything is on you network everything can see each other for the most part. So in vera is connected to a switch the cameras connected to a switch and bi is connected to a switch they all can see each other. Vera can use the BI plugin for all the cameras or the cameras can be manually added one by one to vera. At the same time BI can also see the cameras. And so on. Cameras can be used at the same time by more then one device. Again for simplicity like having older cable you could just add a splitter and get tv to another room. That's some what how a network works. There is alot more to it but that a very basic idea. Switches are like splitters. You can have more then one but there is better ones and better ways to run then others. Running a switch off a switch off a switch in never as good as your router/internet in, to one big switch and then to everything. But depending on the use it may not make a difference. POE switch vs regular with power injectors is another thing. Cleaner install with a big POE switch but that costs alot more.

Also if cameras are in BI you don't have to have them in VERA either. Having a virtual motion in vera is nice, but that don't need the camera in VERA. Controlling BI profiles or recording and notification settings (based on home/away) also doesn't require cameras to be in VERA.

Viewing cameras can be done with many apps and if you use an app like "Imperihome" for vera (since the stock vera app is not very good and has a fixed layout) then you can view vera, cameras, sonos, and many more things in one place at the same time (again without cameras in vera). But no camera viewing will be as good as using the blueiris app. That's actually the only way you'll be able to view previous recordings and other features besides live view.  Also the BI app has a great built in streaming quality that adjusts and buffers to your internet connection (say you away from home on a cellular network).

Offline col8eral

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2017, 05:23:45 am »
Thank you for such a great answer. That really helps me.  Ive been thinking about either BI or Foscam NVR kit. I think on balance the BI approach seems better.

The reason I had asked about the PoE switch and multi cameras is that I had noted a post from another user on here that had multi cameras in a Foscam NVR kit but only saw the system as one IP address and so could not add individual cameras.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2017, 10:54:32 am »
The reason I had asked about the PoE switch and multi cameras is that I had noted a post from another user on here that had multi cameras in a Foscam NVR kit but only saw the system as one IP address and so could not add individual cameras.

NVR's don't all have as many features as blueiris. Now with hat said Blueiris will only have one IP address also. Every single device gets only one IP address. But that doesn't mean you can't see all the cameras form that one IP address. There is more to it then just an IP. You need to know the streaming URL language for your device. Blueiris, Cameras or NVR all have some but each will very with options and more. Usually what happens is you add somthing like "/image/Camera3" to the end of the IP address to specify you want an image from camera 3. And there is different syntax or codes for still images, mjpeg, rtsp, or more. So having one IP is in no way a limitation it just points you to one device, but there is more commands that go after to open up the options for everything else. Its actually easier to always point to one address and have everything in one place vs trying to setup all IP cameras with different IP addresses and settings for each one.

But depending on which camera or which NVR you choose you might not have such a big list of commands or features (check before you buy). Not all are created equally.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2017, 01:07:58 pm »
One feature I love with BI is the merging of my 4 cameras into 1 feed, so I can easily glance at all 4 cameras at once on my phone.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.