Author Topic: Veralite G, new model or scam?  (Read 3811 times)

copekyle

• Sr. Newbie
Veralite G, new model or scam?
« on: November 22, 2013, 08:24:19 am »
I was browsing a well known auction site today and came across a "new" cheaper model of the Veralite controller.  They called it a Veralite G and said that it had the exact same board as the Veralite but a different case that makes it cheaper ($20 cheaper).  They also say it comes with a 2 year manufacturer warranty.  I can't find anything about it on Mi Casa Verde's site.  Can anyone weigh in on this?  Is it a knock off scam or something I should jump on?

On that note, does any one know of any place that has the veralite on sale?  Looking to get into home automation slowly and on a budget.

Thanks
Kyle

Aaron

Re: Veralite G, new model or scam?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:56:49 am »

Z-Waver

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 09:03:23 am »
Micasaverde announced several "upcoming" new Veras at Cedia, almost a year ago. They have still not reached the market and are not expected to do so for several more months.

None of the upcoming Veras were labeled Vera Lite G, so you are almost certainly not looking at a new Vera. You'll find all things officially Vera at www.getvera.com

The unit in the previously posted Amazon link looks like an old generic Sercom(the Chinese manufacturer that makes Vera for Micasaverde) edition of Vera. It may indeed work.

copekyle

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 07:08:24 pm »
google is your friend...

http://www.amazon.com/VeraLite-Z-Wave-LIMITED-EDITION-Warranty/dp/B00GOHF9N6

Indeed google is my friend... that was the only other place I could find anything about it BUT the seller on fleebay and the seller on amazon are the same... (convenient how that works)... 

copekyle

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 07:09:35 pm »
Micasaverde announced several "upcoming" new Veras at Cedia, almost a year ago. They have still not reached the market and are not expected to do so for several more months.

None of the upcoming Veras were labeled Vera Lite G, so you are almost certainly not looking at a new Vera. You'll find all things officially Vera at www.getvera.com

The unit in the previously posted Amazon link looks like an old generic Sercom(the Chinese manufacturer that makes Vera for Micasaverde) edition of Vera. It may indeed work.

Thank you for your reply!  I went ahead and "made an offer" and picked it up for $135... pretty happy about that.  Now I just hope they work :)

Brientim

• Beta Testers
Veralite G, new model or scam?
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 07:22:31 pm »
The Mios OEM product was the MIOS G100 and in a different case to the standard MCV case. Have look at the info found here.

http://www.mios.com/oem/the-platform/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:37:35 pm by Brientim »

copekyle

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 07:34:02 pm »
Thanks for that link!  It's funny that I got looking around that site and when I clicked on support and forum, it brought me right back here.  I guess it's safe to say that the Mios and Veralite are the same?  I hate rebranding the same product and selling it at difference prices, I work for a high end electronics manufacturer that does the same thing.

Brientim

• Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 07:41:19 pm »

Thanks for that link!  It's funny that I got looking around that site and when I clicked on support and forum, it brought me right back here.  I guess it's safe to say that the Mios and Veralite are the same?  I hate rebranding the same product and selling it at difference prices, I work for a high end electronics manufacturer that does the same thing.

If you click on the link "MiOS also offers a low cost hardware solution" in the text (I can't copy the link here) you see the picture.

I cannot confirm whether the same firmware is or can be loaded as it has been reported some of the OEM stuff may not. Hopefully you can.

copekyle

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 07:42:55 pm »
Well come Wednesday, the fun begins.....:)

batrad

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 11:40:06 am »
i bought one off eBay and was able to update the firmware

does feel a little slower in the menus than my older Lite that i was using recently..

Z-Waver

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 11:45:24 am »
i bought one off eBay and was able to update the firmware

does feel a little slower in the menus than my older Lite that i was using recently..
The G/Lite hardware is the same. The real question is; are you able to register a flashed G unit with the Micasaverde website or do they restrict access based on the unitID(serial number)?

batrad

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 01:56:54 pm »
I was able to register on the website and am monitoring the unit via cp.mios.com and the Micasa stock Android app
[/quote]
The G/Lite hardware is the same. The real question is; are you able to register a flashed G unit with the Micasaverde website or do they restrict access based on the unitID(serial number)?
[/quote]

Z-Waver

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 01:59:02 pm »
I was able to register on the website and am monitoring the unit via cp.mios.com and the Micasa stock Android app

Great!

benr

• Everywhere And Nowhere
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 03:23:18 pm »
Anyone else out there have one of these "G" units? One of my co-workers is considering one to save a few bucks. I actually like the look of the G ones better than the VeraLite's stock look myself.

Looks legit to me, here are the two product pages on MyVera: LINK and LINK

Both are a copy paste as far as specs go. There is a seller on Amazon who also sells on eBay selling them: LINK whom I have bought several Z-Wave devices from and believe to be trust-worthy. That seller also has the Best Offer option up and many units sold which mean they will go lower on price than the $150 listed. Very cool and I wish this was an option when I bought mine.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:32:34 pm by benr »

garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 09:50:37 pm »
There was a thread asking a similar question. You may do a search. It wasn't too long ago. To answer your question. You should be OK.

- Garrett