We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: CT100 Thermostat on battery mis-configures as on external power: Battery dies  (Read 561 times)

Offline Qrp

• Sr. Newbie
This thermostat was working fine under UI5/VeraLite. After converting to UI7/Vera Edge, it configures as though it is receiving external power, which it is not. As a result, the batteries are depleted after about 3 days. Two other CT100 thermostats on battery power have configured properly, but not this one. I have already unpaired and paired again with the same result.

Any advice from out there? I'll have to look into actually supplying it with external power, but that will have to wait. In the meantime, I hope there is a simple solution.

What would happen if I copied all of the configuration variables from the properly configured CT100 thermostats, and applied them to the one that is misconfigured?

Thanks

Offline Don Phillips

You can turn off polling. That way Vera does not interrogate it but the thermostat still sends data to the Vera.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline Qrp

• Sr. Newbie
I turned off polling , but all that did was stop the updating of battery status, with the result that I thought the battery was no longer depleting when in fact it was. The CT100 was still ?listening? and acting as a relay like it would if included with external power.

Offline hellovn

You have to exclude and include it again. Here is the tutorial https://2gig.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/CT100-Operation-Guide.pdf

Z-Wave and Battery Power

When your thermostat is running on battery power, the Z-Wave radio will turn off to help conserve
battery life. The CT100 Z-Wave radio module supports Z-Wave beaming, which allows other devices
in the network to wake up the Z-Wave module and accept commands, and then go back to sleep.
The node type is fixed during network inclusion. If C-Wire is not present and the thermostat is battery
powered during network inclusion, the thermostat will remain a frequent listening routing slave
(FLiRS) node until the thermostat is removed from the network via network exclusion.

Offline Qrp

• Sr. Newbie
"You have to exclude and include it again."

Yes, I certainly understand this, and I have been through this twice with the exact same result.

Perhaps choosing "RT Thermostat" as the device to include, instead of choosing "Generic Z-wave device" is the problem? IIRC, the other two battery operated thermostats, which are working normally, were included using the Exclude button on the Edge, while the mis-behaving thermostat was included using the Vera app and choosing "RT Thermostat" as the device to include. Hmmm. I'll have to see when I get home again.

Offline Qrp

• Sr. Newbie
Problem solved. I had tried to power this thermostat in the past with a 16VAC transformer, but after a time this somehow began to interfere with a relay on the zone control board, so I disconnected the C wire at the boiler zone control board, but left it connected at the thermostat. With UI5/VeraLite it included fine as a battery powered device, but for some reason with UI7/Vera Edge it included as an externally powered thermostat, even though the C wire was no longer connected at the zone control board end. Once I removed the C wire at the thermostat end, I was able to include the thermostat as battery powered.

I can only conclude that the input impedance to the external power sensing circuit on the thermostat is so high that it detects AC voltage induced onto that C wire from other nearby wires, thus fooling the thermostat into thinking it is powered at inclusion time, even though not nearly enough current can be delivered along with that induced voltage to actually power the thermostat. Very strange!