Author Topic: Crawl space temperature monitoring - Fortrezz vs Everspring  (Read 294 times)

IronScott

• Sr. Newbie
Crawl space temperature monitoring - Fortrezz vs Everspring
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:53:42 pm »
I've searched and can't find a good answer. I need to monitor the temp in my crawl space. Probably need 3-4 touch points. I'm fine with only periodic updates from the device (30, 60 minutes for example) and manual polling when I want. This is more of a proactive need where I will monitor things but any automation I can do would be nice. It's at a second home that I'm not at all the time.

Will both of these units do what I need? If so, any advantage of one over the other in either functionality or reliability? I know the Fortrezz has leak detection and that would be nice but probably a crapshoot at best in this crawl space. It's too large and varied to be very lucky in the case of a leak.

I like that the Everspring has a digital display but that's not all that important.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

akbooer

• "Less is more"
Re: Crawl space temperature monitoring - Fortrezz vs Everspring
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 05:46:45 am »
Eversprings work fine for me (ST814) and the batteries seem to last about a year.  I used to have six or so of these deployed around the place, they've been no trouble at all.  However, as you say, if you don't need the display then what else is there?  In Europe I would suggest a one-wire system connected to a Fibaro universal sensor, or one each to a door sensor.  I've recently swapped out most of my Eversprings for Netatmo units, which don't need Vera at all (although there is an excellent plugin!), and don't have a display, but are more expensive.  Perhaps you could use their CO2 sensor to detect if anything was living in the crawl space?  It certainly detects human occupancy of a room quite quickly. 
3x VeraLite, 18x Fibaro FGD211/FGS211/FGS221, 23x TKB TZ68, 6x Everspring ST814, 9x MiniMote controllers, 7x Fibaro FGK101, 3x Aeotec 4-in-1, 2x Netatmo, 2x NorthQ Power meter.  Essential apps: dataMine & HomeWave, Netatmo, EventWatcher.

IronScott

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:12:48 am »
Eversprings work fine for me (ST814) and the batteries seem to last about a year.  I used to have six or so of these deployed around the place, they've been no trouble at all.  However, as you say, if you don't need the display then what else is there?  In Europe I would suggest a one-wire system connected to a Fibaro universal sensor, or one each to a door sensor.  I've recently swapped out most of my Eversprings for Netatmo units, which don't need Vera at all (although there is an excellent plugin!), and don't have a display, but are more expensive.  Perhaps you could use their CO2 sensor to detect if anything was living in the crawl space?  It certainly detects human occupancy of a room quite quickly.

Great! Thanks so much for the response. I'm in the US so Fibaro isn't an option. Maybe someday. I'm not familiar with the Netatmo system. It looks very intriguing! Thanks for the info. Going to research that now.

spudjr

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 06:43:52 am »
Take a look at the EDS Temperature server. Plugin for Vera available. Works great.