Author Topic: ZigBee vs Z-Wave  (Read 10963 times)

Mark H.

• Global Moderator
Re: ZigBee vs Z-Wave
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 07:52:10 am »
The battery operated cooper switch works with Vera. I have one.
Vera 2
Firmware: 1.5.101 Zwave: 3.20

wseverino

• Global Moderator
  • Da Man, Da Myth, Da Legend - in his own mind!
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 09:33:06 am »
there are more than one company making the Radio.

Incorrect.....Sigma Designs is the only manufacturer of a Z-wave Radio.....Zensys is no longer since Sigma purchased them.
My ZWave Network: Too friggin big to list.....

wseverino

• Global Moderator
  • Da Man, Da Myth, Da Legend - in his own mind!
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 09:36:11 am »
The battery operated cooper switch works with Vera. I have one.

I have the same one also....yes it does work with vera.
My ZWave Network: Too friggin big to list.....

325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 12:12:00 pm »
ok, I was reading about it late last night, so I might have missed the pre-assembled ones.  Most of the adapters looked like this one:

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKAD13

where you had to Solder the board ($10), buy the XBee controller ($25) and the special FDTI Cable ($20).  That's what triggered me to look at the other option, since it was cheaper and "all in one" without special cables and such.

Right, they say "The kit includes a PCB and all components necessary to build the adapter, unassembled. Tools are not included. This kit is really easy and will only take 15 minutes to build, even if you've never soldered before. " Assuming it's really 15 minutes it's not a big deal given the level of flexibility it gives.

However USB stick might be better idea interoperability wise if the goal is to work specifically on Zigbee, which is just a subset of IEEE 802.15.4

UPDATE: just found
Compatibility Note:
XBee and XBee-PRO 802.15.4 modules are compatible with other devices that use XBee 802.15.4     technology. These include ConnectPort X gateways, XBee and XBee-PRO adapters, and other products designated with the 802.15.4 product name. Devices that do not have the 802.15.4 product name, including Digi's line of DigiMesh and XBee ZB products, are not compatible with XBee and XBee-PRO 802.15.4 modules.
:(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:30:50 pm by 325xi »

zmistro

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 12:59:26 pm »
there are more than one company making the Radio.

Incorrect.....Sigma Designs is the only manufacturer of a Z-wave Radio.....Zensys is no longer since Sigma purchased them.
The are the owner and hold license  , they are not necessary the chip manufacture. I think panasonic is a authorized Zwave chip manufacter

jamesleesaunders

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 01:01:54 pm »
4 years on and ZigBee still does not appear to be anywhere near Z-Wave in the number of products available for Home Automation.

http://www.smartofthehome.com/2014/03/zigbee-vs-z-wave/

A couple of ?high profile? products such as Philips Hue have lifted ZigBee into the spotlight (and there is the Nest thermostat and smoke detectors which apparently host dormant ZigBee chips), but if ZigBee intends to complete with Z-Wave I think it needs to flood the market with more devices which are guaranteed to work with each other. Alternatively it may turn out that the pair co-exist with Z-Wave taking the Home Automation corner and ZigBee the Smart Energy corner.