We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: EtherRain sprinkler controller  (Read 84322 times)

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
Re: EtherRain sprinkler controller
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2011, 04:25:53 pm »
Guys, I am so sorry, but I have just been way too busy. The ER++ is the next thing on my Vera list, even before TED (unfortunately).  My intent is to get it Vera "Compliant" which it was not. I will say that I did install it "as is" on Ui4 and it does work. I did it about three months ago, and as i recall it involved a couple of reboots. Anyway, when I do get back to it, it will be completely LUUP compliant, and I will be adding support for the rain sensor terminals as well. I will set aside one weekend in July to get this done. Sorry again for my absence.
Vera1 (1.1142), Vera2 (1.1182), VRI06 (12), VRS15 (3), VRS05 (2), VRF01 (2), VRCS4 (2), ZRW113, ZRF113 (2), 45602, 45603, TZMT400 (2), FE599 (2), 99100, Thinkstick, Harmony 890Pro (2), Harmony RF Extender, Nevo S70, Nevo NC-50, Minimote, SQ Remote, SQ Blaster, EtherRain-8, Cliste ActiveRFID, TED5002

Offline Xauto

« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2011, 09:43:57 am »
I'm a newb here and this might be the stupidest question but is there a way to use the ER with no ethernet connection and only with ZWave? ???

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2011, 11:42:03 am »
Afraid not!

There was another post recently where somebody else achieved what you want to do by using an appliance module and a 24V transformer connected to the valve solenoid.
The above is fine for a one or two valves but would be expensive for more!

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=6874.0

I assume running Ethernet to the controller is a problem for you?, Have you considered using via a WiFi to Ethernet bridge? That's how I have mine connected to my Vera, and it works fine.

Wireless bridges can be found online relatively cheaply.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:47:57 am by strangely »
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline BigDickMcGee

« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2011, 10:39:41 pm »
Folks,

Any reason that the two .xml files are protected by authorization on the code repository page?

Could links to the latest version be (re)attached here?  Looking forward to adding irrigation to the mix,

Thanks,

BDM

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2011, 01:45:25 am »
I think the permissions levels on that page are set too high. You could try to either send mcvflorin or 325xi an PM to ask.
**Edit** just noticed you haven't made enough posts yet to PM!

Looks like its just the wiki page itself where the permissions are too high, you can download the files from the source area instead:

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_etherrain-controller/browser/EtherRain
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 01:49:07 am by strangely »
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline BigDickMcGee

« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2011, 12:02:42 pm »
Did the trick, thanks.

Testing irrigation in New England this time of year... that'll be the fun part.

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2011, 11:33:04 pm »
I tried to work with mios repository, but it is (or was if it changed) too much of a hassle for a couple of files.
I'm still keeping them here
http://edmidor.com/1797/etherrain-sprinkler-controller-plugin-for-vera-home-automation-controller/

Offline Mikey

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2012, 08:45:19 pm »
I tried to work with mios repository, but it is (or was if it changed) too much of a hassle for a couple of files.
I'm still keeping them here
http://edmidor.com/1797/etherrain-sprinkler-controller-plugin-for-vera-home-automation-controller/
Bump.

Just wondering if there were any updates to this...?  Great plug-in in UI4, and the multiple created devices approach to valve control is effective, but curious as to whether there'll be updates to stay tuned into.

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2012, 11:59:53 pm »
The plugin is very much straight forward, there's not much to update unless something has to be done to make it compatible with UI5 (didn't install it yet - no time)

I'm not planning to make it more complex with child devices, etc. - feel free to modify it at will

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2012, 03:40:42 pm »
It works fine in UI5. The is no real need for change, creating multiple devices for each value works in managing a system. Linked with a Minimote, which you can configure as eight channel, four short and four long press, you have simple value remote control.

Offline francoislegrange

« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2012, 04:45:42 pm »
I have downloaded and used the EtherRain software and they work well under UI5. I do however have one issue. I have created 5 Controllers and setup notifications. Each controller only run one valve. Everytime (no matter what controller I switch on), switches all the contrrollers to "on" in the software. Although all the valves are not opened, the software shows that they are all in the "On" posistion and I receive email alerts for all of them bein changed to the "on" posistion.

Can anyone shed some light on this, Im not a developer.

Offline Mikey

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2012, 10:16:41 am »
I have downloaded and used the EtherRain software and they work well under UI5. I do however have one issue. I have created 5 Controllers and setup notifications. Each controller only run one valve. Everytime (no matter what controller I switch on), switches all the contrrollers to "on" in the software. Although all the valves are not opened, the software shows that they are all in the "On" posistion and I receive email alerts for all of them bein changed to the "on" posistion.

Can anyone shed some light on this, Im not a developer.

I have the same setup and notice the same behavior.  While also not a developer, my interpretation is that by creating new devices for each valve, you are still limited to ER system variable reporting per device.  In other words, if you've sent a watering command to one valve/device, the ER system is technically running, i.e. a valve is open, and as such each of your other devices are reporting simultaneously to being on.

To my knowledge, there is no workaround for this other than perhaps more fully scripting the watering program by including notifications in sequence with the scripted watering program.

Hope that helps...I can/will certainly defer to others for a more technical description.

Offline stephenmoore

« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2013, 04:52:09 pm »
The EtherRain 8 is a great irrigation controller for lawns and landscapes in Pinellas County. It can control 8 or more zones of irrigation just like many other irrigation controllers,

Offline Pannella

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2013, 10:24:37 am »
I am getting the same behaviour as francoislegrange and Mikey where everytime I switch on one of my devices I created, it switches all of the devices on the same Etherrain controller on in Vera. Although all the valves are not opened, the software shows that they are all in the "on" position and I receive email alerts for all of them being changed to the "on" position.  I'm also getting some false triggers where throughout the day I get notifications that the devices turned on and off - again don't think the valves are actually opening.  This is only happening on my Etherrain devices.  Anyone have any fix for these issues or know what I might be doing wrong in the set up?  All of my devices on the same controller have the same IP and MAC address so is it the way Mikey explains that since the controller is on, Vera sees all the devices with the same IP on and notifies that?  I'm running UI5 with Vera lite and the QuickSmart Etherrain 8 Sprinkler Controller v 1.1*.  I have 2 Etherrain units networked with one powerline adapter to a network switch.  Appreciate any and all help.

Offline ERdevman

« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2013, 01:34:30 am »
325xi or Woodsby:  are you still here?
I've had some Vera owners recently report that their EtherRain plugin wasn't working; the report is: after reinstalling the plugin, the status sets to ON immediately after an IP address is assigned, and it can't be reset to OFF.  The controller itself isn't running, though the controller works via EtherRain Admin.

The plugin is UI5;  customer note:  I noticed when i reinstalled the plugin, it stayed off until it was assigned an ip address. Then unable to turn off and unresponsive again.  It's a Vera Lite, firmware 1.5.408.

Has anyone run into similar issues, and if so, any solution?
Thanks,

6-6-2013  Update: 

Customer found the issue after some probing.  Noting here in case anyone sees this type of problem:
1.  Make sure to install the correct UI plugin on your Vera; in this case UI4 plugin was mistakenly installed on a UI5 Vera.
2.  Port:  the port in the plugin is fixed at 80; so make sure your EtherRain port is set at 80 (default value)

UI5 EtherRain plugin installed.  Customer is up and running!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 11:15:27 pm by ERdevman »