We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Independent lamp control along with lamp module  (Read 7733 times)

Offline gtallan

Re: Independent lamp control along with lamp module
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 11:13:15 am »
The only way to have complete local control and Z-wave control, as well as Vera having an accurate idea of the lamp's state, is to rewire the lamp using a Microswitch like the Aeon Labs or Fibaro units.

You would need to wire the microswitch into the lamp's power cord and connect the lamp's local switch to the switch connections on the microswitch. See the crude drawing below. Naturally, you would conceal the microswitch somewhere within the lamp.

Another way to do it might be to fabricate some kind of casing for the Aeon (or fibaro?) micro-dimmer, so it could be installed on the cable to the lamp, just like any regular inline dimmer. I wonder how hard it would be to do that... maybe it could just be 3D-printed? It would need some decent cord retention, and a way to accommodate a small momentary switch. Easier still if Aeon would produce such an accessory themselves, though doubtless they'd need to get the whole assembly UL-tested or something.

It's always frustrated me that nothing like this exists for zwave, since I feel that proper local control is essential for table lamps etc. Minimotes etc just don't fit the same function since they tend to float around, go missing, get dead batteries just when you need them, etc. And I want guests to my house to be able to do basic things like turn lights on or off without undergoing training!

Offline wilme2

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 05:14:02 pm »
Another way to do it might be to fabricate some kind of casing for the Aeon (or fibaro?) micro-dimmer, so it could be installed on the cable to the lamp, just like any regular inline dimmer. I wonder how hard it would be to do that... maybe it could just be 3D-printed? It would need some decent cord retention, and a way to accommodate a small momentary switch. Easier still if Aeon would produce such an accessory themselves, though doubtless they'd need to get the whole assembly UL-tested or something.

Radio Shack has various sized "project boxes" that would work.  I used one as part of my garage door relay...    http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032276
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline JReays

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 01:03:27 pm »
I really want to tear apart a lamp socket switch module to make it so the turn switch still works. I know it has been awhile since this was talked about but has anyone had any success?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 08:35:41 am »
It works great! The only "issue" is having a lamp with a large enough base(or shade) to properly conceal the module and wiring. Also, now that we have dual switch relays like this Vision In Wall 2 Relay Z-Wave Micro Switch you can do lamps with multiple sockets/bulbs.

Offline tomgru

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 12:12:04 pm »
It works great! The only "issue" is having a lamp with a large enough base(or shade) to properly conceal the module and wiring. Also, now that we have dual switch relays like this Vision In Wall 2 Relay Z-Wave Micro Switch you can do lamps with multiple sockets/bulbs.

Did you actually build one?  need pics 😀

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 02:39:29 pm »
Perhaps stupidly, I didn't think of taking pictures and now the interesting part is under a glued down layer of felt.

Perhaps some time when I've got time to take it apart and re-glue the base.

Offline tomgru

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 12:36:04 pm »
Perhaps stupidly, I didn't think of taking pictures and now the interesting part is under a glued down layer of felt.

Perhaps some time when I've got time to take it apart and re-glue the base.

Just a normal lamp?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 03:21:24 pm »
Just a lamp? JUST A LAMP? Does Mrs. Z-Waver need to come over there and explain the difference between "just a lamp" and this extremely rare and fine lighting fixture with faux antique burnishing and irreplaceable one of a kind shade?

But yea, just a lamp. Like this:

Offline tomgru

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 09:51:04 am »
LOL

Offline ndoggac

• Sr. Newbie