Author Topic: Ping Sensor  (Read 195038 times)

Offline myhomeserver

• Beta Testers
  • http://www.MyZwave.net
Re: Ping Sensor
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 04:13:56 pm »
I like the idea of the awareness sensor, I can use something like this to ping my Laptop on the LAN while I'm home.  When I pack up and leave my home (usually with the laptop when it's an extended period) it will arm sensors, turn off the lights, turn down the heat, etc.  Very cool.   You can use a Static DHCP or MAC reservation for DHCP to make sure the laptop (or Iphone, etc)

I'll have to try this....
MyZWave.net - See Our Z-Wave product Reviews
(formerly MyHomeServer)

Offline Richardb

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 07:03:52 pm »
I guess I missed somethign..
I installed as indicated by your Wiki, but the device has no options, and looks nothing like you picture...
Any ideas?

Not even sure how to remove the files, the files have the absolute path listed in the Vera GUI after I uploaded them...

Would like to remove them and readd them...

I started to write a perl module on my Linux Server and have it do teh pinging and then issue web commands to cycle the device... Your approach is much more asthetically pleasing...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:21:47 pm by Richardb »

Offline Richardb

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 07:49:08 pm »
Ok, I SSH'ed into Vera, removed the C:\xxxxx verisions of the file, and then transferred them over via the shell, and all works..

might this be a bug?  When uploading that it uses the FULL LOCAL ADDRESS instead of just the file name???

mcvovidiu

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 06:17:02 am »
Hi,

If you upload a new version of the file, it will overwrite the older one. This is maybe why you get the full address instead of just the file name.

Offline TedStriker

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 11:44:33 am »
Thanks for the support, mcvovidiu.

Just want you guys to know that a new version of the sensor will be delayed some further.
I'm trying to add ZigBee capabilities to Vera by using a XBee device at the moment and I guess all of you know how time consuming those projects can be  ;)

Offline blacey

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 12:57:24 am »
Does this sensor work with UI14?  I tried but the device configuration panel is blank.
Three Vera-3 (Home, Seasonal 1 & 2) - Firmware: 1.5.622,   Zwave: 3.20 L:1
One Vera-Edge (Dependent) - Firmware: 1.7.1707, Zwave: 4.5 L:1

Offline m0jon

• @m0jon
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 12:52:34 pm »
Need a little help.

I've installed the plugin and used D_PingSensor.xml

The sensor appears to be working great with my iPhone, wifi on sensor tripped, wifi off sensor armed and waiting.

The problem is i can't get the sensor to trigger a scene. Either a scene turning on a light or running some Lua code. Any ideas where i'm going wrong?

Do i need to add anything in impl_file section under Advanced within the virtual sensor?

Any help greatly received

m0jon

Offline blacey

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2010, 06:10:10 pm »
m0jon,

Are you on UI4?  If so, did you use a different installation procedure than uploading via the web UI?  I uploaded through the LUUP files vera Web UI but the Device Panel is blank.  Logging in and searching for the Ping plugin files shows they are all there - confirmed through the web ui too.

Code: [Select]
root@MiOS_13202:~# find / -name '*Ping*'
/etc/cmh-ludl/S_PingSensor.xml.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/I_PingSensor.xml.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/D_PingSensor_Invert.xml.lzo
/etc/cmh-ludl/D_PingSensor.xml.lzo
/overlay/etc/cmh-ludl/S_PingSensor.xml.lzo
/overlay/etc/cmh-ludl/I_PingSensor.xml.lzo
/overlay/etc/cmh-ludl/D_PingSensor_Invert.xml.lzo
/overlay/etc/cmh-ludl/D_PingSensor.xml.lzo

Ideas?
Three Vera-3 (Home, Seasonal 1 & 2) - Firmware: 1.5.622,   Zwave: 3.20 L:1
One Vera-Edge (Dependent) - Firmware: 1.7.1707, Zwave: 4.5 L:1

Offline m0jon

• @m0jon
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 03:43:05 am »
Hi blacey,

I'm using Vera 2 and UI4. I used the web interface to upload all the files and then created a device in the usual way.

The sensor appeared in my main dashboard and has all the options/variables available. Just can't get it to trigger a scene, YET!!!

Offline pepebel4

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 06:34:12 am »
Hello,
Could you tell me how to create a device 'the normal way'?
I selected Developers --> Create Device and entered D_PingSensor.xml into the column
UpnpDevFilename. But that creates a new device without any real options. So I guess I must be doing something wrong :(

Brg,
Pascal

Offline m0jon

• @m0jon
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 05:47:14 pm »
Thanks pepebel4 for the extra bit of code that needed adding to make the sensor trigger a scene

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=4943.0

Now as i approach my house vera picks my iPhone (my router has a fixed ip address for my iPhone) by using the ping plugin and then i get a push message received on my iPhone, 'Welcome Home'. Will be looking to have it trigger other scenes too, as soon as i acquire more z wave devices, now that my iPhone acts as a proximity sensor.

Cheers

m0jon

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2010, 02:01:04 am »
Hello,
Could you tell me how to create a device 'the normal way'?
I selected Developers --> Create Device and entered D_PingSensor.xml into the column
UpnpDevFilename. But that creates a new device without any real options. So I guess I must be doing something wrong :(

Brg,
Pascal
After adding it, try a second save (or dashboard refresh ) again and it may populate the rest of the options for you!
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline BrianAz

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 03:36:58 am »
Thanks pepebel4 for the extra bit of code that needed adding to make the sensor trigger a scene

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=4943.0

Now as i approach my house vera picks my iPhone (my router has a fixed ip address for my iPhone) by using the ping plugin and then i get a push message received on my iPhone, 'Welcome Home'. Will be looking to have it trigger other scenes too, as soon as i acquire more z wave devices, now that my iPhone acts as a proximity sensor.

Cheers

m0jon

Going to do this.. curious how quickly your iPhone switches from 3g to your home WIFI? Is it something where you trigger immediately, or are you already at the front door by the time it connects?

Thx

Offline evanes

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 03:21:17 pm »
My iphone only activates the wifi if I start the mail app.

This makes the iphone as a presences detector useless.

Could a bluetooth connection work better?
Are there tools to detect bluetooth devices? Can this trigger an event in Vera?

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2011, 03:40:35 pm »
My iphone only activates the wifi if I start the mail app.

This makes the iphone as a presences detector useless.

Could a bluetooth connection work better?
Are there tools to detect bluetooth devices? Can this trigger an event in Vera?

I tried going down this route, having a Linux server do an l2ping for the phone, since the BT stays up if the phone is powered on at all.  Problem is that l2ping will hang when the phone's not in range, and nothing I did to set the "timeout" shorter worked.  So I went to doing a btscan or whatever it is that simply scans for devices within range, and then parsed the results with Perl looking for my phone's BTADDR.  That worked, but was pretty range-limited.  Then I went down the "aircable" BT device rathole--they have devices that are good for much longer distances, but for BT, it's symmetric--if the phone is good for 10m, it doesn't matter if the thing that is trying to identify it is good for 4K--you still get 10m.

You also won't have BlueZ or Perl on Vera, so this would have to be proxied off to some other machine running 24/7.  We have Linux servers in the house, but for a lot of folks, this isn't an option.

I finally threw in the towel.  Guessed has a nice system working using RFID.  Once I get some other fires put out, I'm planning on setting up his stuff with passive tags in the cars.  But no hurry.

--Richard