Author Topic: Somfy goes Z-Wave!!  (Read 20447 times)

Offline Jacobly

Somfy goes Z-Wave!!
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:46:57 pm »
Did anyone have a chance to see this @ CEDIA last week?

http://www.cepro.com/article/somfy_launches_ilt_z_wave_interface1/

I can't find any reference to a release date yet, however, the Somfy dealer said he thought "it was supposed to be out by the end of this quarter."

Any idea if these will be new Z-Wave commands, or will this be supported by Vera out of the box?

Now, what am I going to do with the ESI ABMHZ I just bought from ASIHome a little over a month ago?  ???
Z-Wave enthusiast

Offline zmistro

Re: Somfy goes Z-Wave!!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 04:24:12 pm »
I quess return it if you don't want it.

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 08:44:11 am »
It really depends on what motor you have. The Somfy Z-Wave will only be for their ILT motors. The ESI piece is for non-ILT motors.

Offline Jacobly

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 09:39:10 am »
ASI,

It's a new install, so I haven't bought the motor yet. I'll have to get in contact with Dawn again I guess....
Z-Wave enthusiast

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 09:59:34 am »
Just be aware that there is going to most likely be a large price gap. The Somfy pieces are expected sometime in Q4 and you can contact us to obtain pricing.

Thank you,

Offline CMRancho

• Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 12:40:35 pm »
I want Vera to control my awning (from Sunsetter) which has a Zomfy motor. I'd like to be able to go to a selectable intermediate position, in addition to open and closed. Should I wait for these new Zomfy controls, or is the ESI ABMHZ what I need?
Vera123beta; Schlage, Kwikset, TZEMT400; Linksys cams, Smarteye cams, HSM100; Aeon, Everspring, Cooper, Leviton, Intermatic, FortrezZ, Global Caché, USB-UIRT, Somfy, etc.

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 01:19:12 pm »
I want Vera to control my awning (from Sunsetter) which has a Zomfy motor. I'd like to be able to go to a selectable intermediate position, in addition to open and closed. Should I wait for these new Zomfy controls, or is the ESI ABMHZ what I need?

Again, it depends on the motor. If the Sunsetter uses a Somfy ILT motor then you would have to use the Somfy Z-Wave interface, if it has any other Somfy motor then you would use the ESI piece.

Offline CMRancho

• Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 02:05:46 pm »
Sunsetter customer service confirms that my 16 foot awning has a non-ILT Somfy motor. Looks like I'll be buying the ESI ABMHZ.
Vera123beta; Schlage, Kwikset, TZEMT400; Linksys cams, Smarteye cams, HSM100; Aeon, Everspring, Cooper, Leviton, Intermatic, FortrezZ, Global Caché, USB-UIRT, Somfy, etc.

Offline Jacobly

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 03:38:49 pm »
CM,

The ESI ABMHZ is for control of AC motors. Is your motor AC or DC? If it is AC, let me know if you are interested in purchasing this....I just heard from ASIHome today since it has been greater than 30 days since my purchase, I may not be able to return it to them. (Needs manager approval)

Mine is brand new, still sealed in it's factory packaging. I'll cut ya deal....
Z-Wave enthusiast

Offline CMRancho

• Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 03:54:23 pm »
Yes, it's AC. Let me know what the "manager" says. I might be interested. Thanks.

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 09:00:23 am »
CM,

The ESI ABMHZ is for control of AC motors. Is your motor AC or DC? If it is AC, let me know if you are interested in purchasing this....I just heard from ASIHome today since it has been greater than 30 days since my purchase, I may not be able to return it to them. (Needs manager approval)

Mine is brand new, still sealed in it's factory packaging. I'll cut ya deal....

I'll look into this.

Offline Jacobly

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 04:46:55 pm »
CMRancho,

Looks like ASIHome's manager approved the return for "in-store" credit. I guess I can't cut you a deal aftr all....

Though, I would recommend using them for your purchase of this product. They really have been very helpful, in more than one instance!
Z-Wave enthusiast

Offline CMRancho

• Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 05:05:08 pm »
On the upside, it's good to know they took care of you!

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
  • This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 07:50:32 pm »
We were the only shading fabricator showing/testing the Somfy ILT Z-Wave interface at CEDIA in the Z-Wave Alliance Booth.  It performed flawlessly using all of the different control options available in the booth.  It uses the Multilevel switch command class just as the ABMHZ, AC1-ZW, DBMZ, and DC1-ZW do.  This means that it will work with pretty much anything out there.  No one is currently developing for the Shade command class.

To clarify further, the ILT motor is an 'intelligent' RS-485 motor that comes in quiet versions and higher lift capacities too.  Somfy is working to release a ST-30 motor that works over RS-485 with the ILT.  The RS-485 allows for easy integration, distances of 1000's of feet, bi-directional communication, remote programming, etc.   Their Z-Wave interface works with either motor.  The motor wiring is easy, using daisy-chainable power and Cat5.  So you could have the best of both worlds, wired control via RS-485 and Z-Wave or just one of those.  Another bonus of ILT is that it is an encoder based motor, so there is no calibration of travel time for intermediate percentage shade positioning.

If you are not familiar with the AC1-ZW it offers the same control as the ABMHZ in a smaller box, which is nice when you are installing window coverings retrofit.  ESI is working on releasing Z-Wave embedded motors so no external controller is needed, a great option if you are willing to wait. 

My goal is to inform and educate.  If you have any questions regarding window coverings and automation, I'd be happy to help.  Somfy has proclaimed us the ILT and Z-Wave WC experts and we try to fill that role.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline Jacobly

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 12:31:16 am »
Hello Shady,

Good to hear your experience with the new Somfy Z-Wave interface @ CEDIA! I must ask the obvious question....what is the outlook for a release date? I am very interested in automating my shades, but would like to do it correctly with an all Somfy solution. I did speak with a salesman from an online automated shade reseller who was @ CEDIA, who thought the new ILT motors with Z-Wave would be released Q4 of 2009. I don't think he knew much about Z-Wave though because he asked me what my experience with Z-Wave was......

What can you tell us about the potential to integrate the Z-wave ILT motor and the other Somfy peripherals? (IE, the Temp, Sunlight, and wind sensors) Will there be support for these offerings too, or will it simply be a Z-waze control device.

Lastly, you kept on saying "us" in your last post. What company are you affiliated with?
Z-Wave enthusiast