We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: VRCZ4-MRZ Dimming/Phillips Hue  (Read 2039 times)

Offline nanobots

VRCZ4-MRZ Dimming/Phillips Hue
« on: January 01, 2014, 01:56:26 pm »
Hi all,

I recently purchased I recently VRCZ4-MRZ and have a couple basic things setup. I know there has been quite a bit of discussion surrounding these zone controllers and similar products. I've tried to read through all the discussion, but I apologize in advance if I missed the answer to this somewhere else.

My questions primarily revolve around getting the "dimming" functionality to work. I have two cases that I'd like to make happen:

1. Controlling the brightness of a group of Phillips Hue bulbs. These bulbs are currently configured to be switched on and off using one of the buttons on the controller in conjunction with a MCV scene (and the Philips Hue MCV plugin), but dimming is not working. I think that's because these scene controller usually work by is communicating with the device directly (instead of with MCV), but obviously the scene controller can't directly talk to the Philips Hue lights/bridge. So even though the Philips Hue lights show up as a dimmable device in MCV, the scene controller can't see or handle this directly?

2. I want to have one of the switches setup to start playing music through a custom scene that triggers an API call to my home media system. I think this will work fine (haven't had a chance to try yet), but I'd really like to have the dimmer buttons allow me to adjust the volume.

So I think what both of these come down to is, is there any way to get MCV to see the dimmer button presses and trigger a scene/action based on that happening? From looking at the logs, I can see the scene activation/deactivation, but it seems that the dimmer buttons don't get registered at all. I'm not sure if this is because MCV isn't watching for these actions, the scene controller isn't sending anything (because MCV doesn't appear to be dimmable??), or something else...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: VRCZ4-MRZ Dimming/Phillips Hue
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 02:16:03 pm »
I recently purchased I recently VRCZ4-MRZ and have a couple basic things setup. I know there has been quite a bit of discussion surrounding these zone controllers and similar products. I've tried to read through all the discussion, but I apologize in advance if I missed the answer to this somewhere else.

My questions primarily revolve around getting the "dimming" functionality to work. I have two cases that I'd like to make happen:

1. Controlling the brightness of a group of Phillips Hue bulbs. These bulbs are currently configured to be switched on and off using one of the buttons on the controller in conjunction with a MCV scene (and the Philips Hue MCV plugin), but dimming is not working. I think that's because these scene controller usually work by is communicating with the device directly (instead of with MCV), but obviously the scene controller can't directly talk to the Philips Hue lights/bridge. So even though the Philips Hue lights show up as a dimmable device in MCV, the scene controller can't see or handle this directly?
You are using the Leviton to activate a Vera scene. Vera scenes can only be Run, they cannot be dimmed or anything else. Whatever dim level you set in the scene will be the only dim level available when the Leviton button Runs the scene.

The Leviton can dim a Z-Wave dimmer that is directly associated with the Leviton controller.
2. I want to have one of the switches setup to start playing music through a custom scene that triggers an API call to my home media system. I think this will work fine (haven't had a chance to try yet), but I'd really like to have the dimmer buttons allow me to adjust the volume.
That's not going to happen either. You can have the Leviton button run a Vera scene that runs your audio equipment, but as before, the scene can only be Run, there is no other scene control available and the Leviton dimming feature will only affect directly associated Z-Wave devices.

You could create multiple scenes, with different volume levels, and then run those scenes from the Leviton controller. But, you won't be able to use the dimmer switch on the Leviton to control volume.

Sorry.

Offline Juggler

Re: VRCZ4-MRZ Dimming/Phillips Hue
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:19:43 pm »
Hope you don't mind me jumping in, but I'm hoping you can further clarify your statement below

The Leviton can dim a Z-Wave dimmer that is directly associated with the Leviton controller.

I also have a VRCZ4 and would like to use the dimmer function to dim an Aeotec Micro Illuminator. These are not currently directly associated. Two questions:
  • If I were to directly associate them, would I still be able to control the Aeotec MI through scenes/luup?
  • How do I directly associate them?

many thanks,
   J.