We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: enocean occupancy sensor - huge opportunity?  (Read 9240 times)

Offline wilme2

Re: enocean occupancy sensor - huge opportunity?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 09:01:02 am »
Quick question...

Is the sensativity adjustable? We have 3 dogs and 5 cats. It would be nice if it were adjustable. Then again, maybe should look at hte WSC-15 instead (they are the same price).

There are no settings at all.  I don't think my cat has set it off, and he perches on the top of 6 foot cat tree at the edge of the room.  I will build an alert to trigger when my alarm is set 'away' and the Occupancy Sensor detects motion to see if he is triggering it.  Of course, YMMV...  Home Depot has store returns, so a test would in theory just put you out of the cost of the USB stick, which I got for $42 from a link above, and maybe a few bucks for Home Depot shipping if they don't credit that...

Cat set it off this morning while running around...  Not sure if it was minor motion or major, he was throwing a fit.  It is fine with me if my pet occasionally sets off the occupancy sensor - I am going to check alarm status and due to the fact it was set "away", I would not turn on lights or ceiling fan.  If he sets it off while we are there, still no big deal - better to get some false alarms than to keep turning off lights while someone is still watching TV...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:15:17 am by wilme2 »
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 11:57:44 am »
Quick question...

Is the sensativity adjustable? We have 3 dogs and 5 cats. It would be nice if it were adjustable. Then again, maybe should look at hte WSC-15 instead (they are the same price).

There are no settings at all.  I don't think my cat has set it off, and he perches on the top of 6 foot cat tree at the edge of the room.  I will build an alert to trigger when my alarm is set 'away' and the Occupancy Sensor detects motion to see if he is triggering it.  Of course, YMMV...  Home Depot has store returns, so a test would in theory just put you out of the cost of the USB stick, which I got for $42 from a link above, and maybe a few bucks for Home Depot shipping if they don't credit that...

Cat set it off this morning while running around...  Not sure if it was minor motion or major, he was throwing a fit.  It is fine with me if my pet occasionally sets off the occupancy sensor - I am going to check alarm status and due to the fact it was set "away", I would not turn on lights or ceiling fan.  If he sets it off while we are there, still no big deal - better to get some false alarms than to keep turning off lights while someone is still watching TV...

True. My issue is the 5 cats and 3 dogs (one of the dogs is over 100lbs). The big dog I would assume would set things off, but the cats are just everywhere all the time...LOL. I think I might have the lights going on and off all night long.
As it is, my z-wave ones seem to handle them very well. I can walk in and turn on the lights, but the cats and dogs don't (the big dog won't go in the kitchen, otherwise he would). I liked the idea of a ceiling mount one. Currently walking by the kitchen in the dining room will turn on those lights because of where I had to place the 2 motion sensors (I had to have 2 to get the coverage needed to make sure the lights turned on when you walked in).

I still think it could be worth checking out though. I won't really know until I test it.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline jimpapa

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 12:23:50 pm »
Quick question...

I am thinking of getting the ENOCEAN sensors and stick for our office.. I have my PIR's for automation working just fine.

The area with the Cubes have 2 360 PIR's and yes need real motion like stand up and walk because they are for security and reduce false alarms.  I think the ENOCEAN stuff would give me what I need and thats just to know if we have people here.. so ai am looking for as little movement as possible to trigger the sensor.

It sounds like this would work.. Otherwise I guess I can also look at Motions that are not Pet immune and add that to the security system as a non monitored zone..  just for reporting.

How are they working for you ?

Is the USB stick added like a COM port ... I have a AD2USB and during reboots it does not get messed up like my Vera3 at home .. ( I always have to set the com port again)

Offline wilme2

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 12:44:25 pm »
I only have one Occupancy Sensor working in a home environment.  The plug-in still needs some work, as it seems to be set to verbose logging, which isn't causing me any real problems, but can be a real distraction if you are looking at the log file or EventWatcher. 

But as far as the hardware, I have the WSC04, and it definitely detects minor motion - within a relatively small area under it.  Elsewhere it detects major motion - see page 2 of the PDF hopefully linked below which shows the detection range and the difference between the WSC04 and the WSC15

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGetAttachment.jsp?cItemId=EZ-SkWNUGLespxImlnymDw&label=IBE&appName=IBE&minisite=10251

The USB stick seems to be like a COM port, you set the baud rate.  I have it connected to a powered USB hub due to the fact there is only one USB port on my VeraLite, and both it and my USB flash drive restart without incident.
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline wilme2

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 12:47:50 pm »
But as far as the hardware, I have the WSC04, and it definitely detects minor motion - within a relatively small area under it.

I guess the minor motion area on the WSC04 is 100 square feet.  So that is a decent size...  And within that area it is picking up motion like reaching for the remote control or picking up a drink, so it seems pretty accurate for occupancy...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 01:03:28 pm by wilme2 »

Offline jimpapa

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 01:25:55 pm »
ok, that is the kind of motion I am trying to detect.  Thanks!

Offline kelpayne

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 07:37:05 pm »

And for the VERA side, I ordered ($42.72 shipped)
http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/semi-energy/wireless-transceiver-modules/Pages/9020035-S3034-K300.aspx?IM=0

[/quote]

Which Enocean gateway app are you using with this?  I'm thinking about trying out this kit in order to get a wall switch to control a lamp module (Then explore other uses later):

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/development-tools/rf-wireless/Pages/7020033-S3034-E300.aspx?IM=0

Thanks!

andreimios

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 03:20:50 am »
Hi,

For your USB300C dongle you need EnOcean ESP3 Gateway plugin.

Best Regards,

- Andrei -

Offline kelpayne

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 10:32:08 am »
Thank you for the clarification Andrei.