We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Nest plugin v1.4 submitted to apps.mios.com  (Read 12042 times)

Offline watou

Nest plugin v1.4 submitted to apps.mios.com
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:08:40 am »
Hello,

I've submitted a minor update to the Nest plugin, v1.4, and I imagine it will be available in a few days if it's accepted.  It only has the following two changes from v1.3:

- For Nest thermostats that are not wired to control heating or cooling, the Heat or Cool buttons in the thermostat device will be disabled.  It is not possible to also hide or disable the setpoint +/- sliders, as doing so causes worse side effects over which I have no control.  Please comment on the issue in github (and here too if you want) if this is a problem: https://github.com/watou/vera-nest-thermostat/issues/28 .

- The "Home/Away" device for each thermostat used to set its category_num to 3 so it would appear amongst other switch devices in UI5.  Many users have wanted that device to be instead grouped with other HVAC devices (category_num 5).  I tested this change against the AutHomation and HomeWave apps and did not see any side effects.  Please comment on the issue in github (and here too if you want) if this is a problem: https://github.com/watou/vera-nest-thermostat/issues/29 .

Nest Protect Update: I have my Nest Protect installed here, but I'm hoping that the Google acquisition has not slowed or derailed the public API release on which I would extend the plugin to support the Protect device.  I would rather not muck about in the undocumented "topaz" JSON data, but if the API has been delayed, I suppose that would be the Plan B.

Regards,
watou

Offline knewmania

Re: Nest plugin v1.4 submitted to apps.mios.com
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 11:52:56 am »
Watou,

Is the Vera2 issue that was outlined in this thread corrected in this release?:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,12700.msg108770.html#msg108770
Vera 2. UI 1.5.622 / Vera 3. UI 1.7.760

Offline SM2k

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 04:01:31 pm »
Regarding the Nest Protect:

I've looked over the data available in the topaz structure, and the only potentially useful settings might be "co_status", "smoke_status", and "battery_level"... and tbh I'm not even sure what on earth "battery_level: 5257" even means. :)

Don't get me wrong, there's a fair amount of useful-looking settings and test-passed data in there, but nothing that directly reflects the actual state of any of the sensors on the unit (which makes sense as the (wired) units only check in every 30 minutes).

I'm afraid that watou is exactly right that adding the nest protect to the plugin is probably gated on an official API from Google.

Offline watou

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 04:30:40 pm »
Watou,

Is the Vera2 issue that was outlined in this thread corrected in this release?:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,12700.msg108770.html#msg108770

I believe that that issue was fixed in the 1.2 plugin release -- have you seen it since? (Or since the plugin doesn't automatically update, just not run a later release?)

https://github.com/watou/vera-nest-thermostat/issues/21

watou

Offline watou

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 04:33:20 pm »
Regarding the Nest Protect:

I've looked over the data available in the topaz structure, and the only potentially useful settings might be "co_status", "smoke_status", and "battery_level"... and tbh I'm not even sure what on earth "battery_level: 5257" even means. :)

Don't get me wrong, there's a fair amount of useful-looking settings and test-passed data in there, but nothing that directly reflects the actual state of any of the sensors on the unit (which makes sense as the (wired) units only check in every 30 minutes).

I'm afraid that watou is exactly right that adding the nest protect to the plugin is probably gated on an official API from Google.

I have no idea what the official Nest API will look like, or if it will provide greater resolution on the sensors than what is currently provided in the interface used by the current clients.  In any case, an official API will document things like what battery_level means, which can only help!

Offline knewmania

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 04:34:43 pm »
I believe that that issue was fixed in the 1.2 plugin release -- have you seen it since? (Or since the plugin doesn't automatically update, just not run a later release?)

I am still running the 'custom' files that you provided as part of that fix.

I will update to 1.4.

Thanks for the quick response.
Vera 2. UI 1.5.622 / Vera 3. UI 1.7.760

Offline Pseudomizer

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:57:56 am »
Thanks a lot. Will update as soon as it is published.  ;)
Vera 3, RFWC5AW, 2 x LFM-20, FS20Z, 3 x YRD220ZW619KWKD, 2 x FI9826W, FI9828P, 2 x NEST Gen2, EVL-3CG, 11 x BR30, 3 x A19 Hue, Media Srv, 18 x ZW4004, 8 x ZW3003, 12 x ZW2002, IP2IR Cache, 2 x DSC24, ZWN-SC7, 4 x PIR-ZWAVE2, DSB05-ZWUS, RS100-HC, ECO-TILT-US, Ribu1C, 3 x GE12721, 2 x Echo, ZW078-A

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 01:30:52 pm »
I'm seriously considering getting a Nest Protect so i'm hoping the APIs will be released soon so you can integrate them into your existing plugin (or maybe create a new one)

Looking at the ability they have to detect motion etc. it would be nice if the APIs opened up more functionality that Co2, smoke and battery.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:51:24 pm by parkerc »

Offline Vol4LifeLC

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 12:42:50 pm »
I am new to  home automation.  One of the first things I wanted to do when I got my veralite is to be able to control my Nest 1.0 thermostat with it.  I have installed the plugin and can see everything related to it but I am having one issue.  Even though my veralite is set to have temperatures in Fahrenheit my Nest shows up in Celsius as far as temperature controls.  Is there an option I'm overlooking somewhere that will allow me to change this to Fahrenheit?

Offline watou

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 11:44:18 am »
I am new to  home automation.  One of the first things I wanted to do when I got my veralite is to be able to control my Nest 1.0 thermostat with it.  I have installed the plugin and can see everything related to it but I am having one issue.  Even though my veralite is set to have temperatures in Fahrenheit my Nest shows up in Celsius as far as temperature controls.  Is there an option I'm overlooking somewhere that will allow me to change this to Fahrenheit?

So you checked under Setup -> Location that your VeraLite is set to Fahrenheit?

I heard mention that some unofficial pre-release of UI6 (the next firmware release) was having issues showing temperature in an unintended temperature scale, but I have no knowledge of UI6 or what changes to existing plugins it will require in order to function correctly (if any).

watou

Offline SM2k

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 12:03:40 pm »
I heard mention that some unofficial pre-release of UI6 (the next firmware release) was having issues showing temperature in an unintended temperature scale, but I have no knowledge of UI6 or what changes to existing plugins it will require in order to function correctly (if any).

I recall the workaround for UI6 being to set the unit to Celcius->save, then set the unit to Fahrenheit-> save. I have not tried as I have no intention of switching until I'm confident I won't run into (m)any upgrade issues.

Offline Vol4LifeLC

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 04:16:20 pm »

I recall the workaround for UI6 being to set the unit to Celcius->save, then set the unit to Fahrenheit-> save. I have not tried as I have no intention of switching until I'm confident I won't run into (m)any upgrade issues.

I checked settings and location and it had fahrenheit listed so I changed it to celsius, saved, changed it back to fahrenheit, saved and now it is showing up properly.  Thanks for the help!  Now it's time to attempt to setup schedules for the Nest through vera.

Offline dinochronos

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 04:47:22 pm »
Watou with the new change to show the Hoe /Away in the HVAC section rather than a light switch i did notice that on obth the IOS apps Vera Mobile App and Veramate apps that now there is not a Home/Away button but that it looks like a second thermostat was added with 0 on the temp etc. No Home/Away feature shows up.

This is also causing the app to freeze communications to the Nest so much so that I have to re-install the plugin, wheras in the UI5 interface the Home/Away button works great.  Let me know if you need further info or are aware of this.

Offline watou

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 05:06:00 pm »
@dinochronos, I was unaware that those iOS apps had reacted to this change in this way, and that's unfortunate.  But I can't say I'm surprised, since it's very tricky for the mobile app developers to have a clear enough view of what's going on in Vera to avoid having to make certain assumptions.

I had informed @garrettwp, the author of the excellent Andriod app AutHomation, and he made a change to his app that adjusted.  I would suggest to you that you inform your app vendor(s) of this new incompatibility, and have them update their apps accordingly.  I only made this change to the plugin after several users voiced their desire for it, and no one objected.

In the meantime, you can back out this change until the apps catch up:
  • install the latest version of the plugin (v1.6)
  • download the matching source file I_Nest1.xml from Github here: https://github.com/watou/vera-nest-thermostat/blob/v1.6/src/I_Nest1.xml
  • using a plain text editor, change lines 507-509 to use category 3 instead of category 5, and
  • upload this file to your Vera under Apps -> Develop Apps -> Luup files, and restart.

This will get you back to the old behaviour.

watou

Offline tbully

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 01:13:13 pm »
@dinochronos, I was unaware that those iOS apps had reacted to this change in this way, and that's unfortunate.  But I can't say I'm surprised, since it's very tricky for the mobile app developers to have a clear enough view of what's going on in Vera to avoid having to make certain assumptions.

I had informed @garrettwp, the author of the excellent Andriod app AutHomation, and he made a change to his app that adjusted.  I would suggest to you that you inform your app vendor(s) of this new incompatibility, and have them update their apps accordingly.  I only made this change to the plugin after several users voiced their desire for it, and no one objected.

In the meantime, you can back out this change until the apps catch up:
  • install the latest version of the plugin (v1.6)
  • download the matching source file I_Nest1.xml from Github here: https://github.com/watou/vera-nest-thermostat/blob/v1.6/src/I_Nest1.xml
  • using a plain text editor, change lines 507-509 to use category 3 instead of category 5, and
  • upload this file to your Vera under Apps -> Develop Apps -> Luup files, and restart.

This will get you back to the old behaviour.

watou

I tried this fix to no avail.  It's not a huge deal (for me) but it'd be nice to have that status/control back to the mobile app.

What exactly drove this change?  I'm sure it was reasonable......