Author Topic: Nest plugin v1.4 submitted to apps.mios.com  (Read 11792 times)

Offline watou

Re: Nest plugin v1.4 submitted to apps.mios.com
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 01:21:29 pm »
I tried this fix to no avail.  It's not a huge deal (for me) but it'd be nice to have that status/control back to the mobile app.

What exactly drove this change?  I'm sure it was reasonable......

I think the plugin needs to poll once, and you might have to then restart Vera from the UI, and perhaps even refresh the UI.

My best understanding of the reasons users wanted the home/away device to be recategorised as an HVAC device is, in UI5 amongst all of your power switches, there was a switch device to set the thermostat to "away" mode, and it was odd, and it made more sense to call it an HVAC device, since it is.  It seemed to bother some users enough to request the change.

Edit: Ask the mobile app makers to make a small change to accommodate this.  I won't change it back, so it's not a moving target.

Offline veramate

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 01:29:40 pm »
Just a quick note from me, for any that are using VeraMate - @dinochronos has raised it to my attention :)  I'll be queuing up a new release in the next couple days, so will have a fix out for this towards the end of next week...
VeraMate for iOS - simple, customisable, Vera control.  http://www.veramate.com
Apple Watch, Voice Control, GeoFencing, iBeacons, Today Widget, UI5/6/7 support, Alerts.

Online tbully

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 01:54:13 pm »
Thanks Veramate.  I plan on checking out your app soon.

A reboot took care of my issue for now.  The switch now shows up instead of a second t-stat control in "Vera Mobile".

Offline dinochronos

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 10:41:09 pm »
I use the Veramate app for my iPhone and the developer was great in fixing the change to now working correctly, there may be other apps for which developers have updated to work correctly, now the home away is much more relevant this way rather than looking like a slight switch. I know that the Veralite app does not handle the home away very well currently with the recent change

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 02:55:58 pm »
Hi

Firstly I just wanted to share that I've finally jumped on the Nest Thermostat bandwagon and I love it so far . I've watched with envy for quite a while.

Some quick questions/suggestions if I may about the plugin

Does the Nest Api allow you to see/report motion (as used to turn it on)?
Living in the UK, the AC / cool is not going to be used, would you consider adding a reduced device .json for those wanting heat only?
The iPhone tracker app, seems to hide the password (******)  in the Vera UI - are you looking to do something similar for nest?
As I understand every device on the UI, uses memory, why did you seperate the login/poll device from either the thermostat or humidity device?

None of the above is meant to take anything away from such a great plugin.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:57:42 pm by parkerc »

Offline watou

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 04:16:28 pm »
Does the Nest Api allow you to see/report motion (as used to turn it on)?

I have never seen any evidence of the proximity sensor being exposed programmatically, but the official Nest API is supposedly due out soon, so there is a possibility.  I think the possibility is next to nil, but it remains to be seen for certain.  If you always left your house in auto-away mode, you could synthesise a sort of crude motion detection device from when the home/away device transitions from away to home.  (Ultimately it probably wouldn't work very well compared to a proper PIR Z-Wave motion detector.)

Living in the UK, the AC / cool is not going to be used, would you consider adding a reduced device .json for those wanting heat only?

I would like to wait to see what is documented in the official API on the difference between UK and North American thermostats.  I think the 2.x plugin would probably mimic whatever UI differences show in the native mobile apps.

The iPhone tracker app, seems to hide the password (******)  in the Vera UI - are you looking to do something similar for nest?

Luckily the official Nest API will use OAuth 2.0, which means the plugin will never need to have your nest.com username and password at all.  Since we are supposed to be close to the new API's release, I would prefer to wait for that.

As I understand every device on the UI, uses memory, why did you seperate the login/poll device from either the thermostat or humidity device?

A nest.com account (main device) is set up to have one or more structures (houses, buildings) that each contain up to 10 thermostats (and 18 smoke/CO detectors).  The "house" devices needed easy home and away switch buttons that affect all thermostats in the house.  Since the physical thermostat also contains a humidity sensor and humidistat functions, it made sense to have a separate Vera device to show current relative humidity, and future UI space to have wet and dry target setpoints.  So the plugin is factored to match the way Nest Labs factored the devices.

watou

Offline RLKinMD

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 08:42:51 am »
watou,

The Vera Lite does not seem to recognize the Away state anymore. This seemed to start happening when I first installed a Nest Protect and enabled the Protect to tell the thermostat about motion. Anyway, I disabled that feature of the Nest Protect a few days ago, and still, the Vera Lite does not seem to know the Home/Away state anymore.

I am using the v1.4 plugin.

Thanks,
Rob
VeraPlus, GE45604 OutdorSwitch, GE45609 switches, Intermtc HA01C receptacles, Evrsprng ST812 FloodDetect & ST814 Temp-HumiditySensor, Aeon SmartSwitch 2ndEd., Foscam FI9821W V2. & FI9805W(2), Schlage BE469WK & NX locks. Apps: PingSensr, Smtp and Push, Nest Tstat & Protcts(3), WebCamDropboxUploader2

Offline watou

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 09:50:35 am »
I am using the v1.4 plugin.

Hi Rob,

You have to upgrade to the latest plugin release (v1.6 presently), as versions prior to that are not going to work any more.  Nest changed two aspects of the connection that require the latest plugin.

watou

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 12:47:42 pm »
@watou - thanks for responding to all my questions/suggestions.

Offline RLKinMD

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 01:39:07 pm »
watou,

Upgraded to v1.6 and Home/Away is working fine.

Thanks,
Rob
VeraPlus, GE45604 OutdorSwitch, GE45609 switches, Intermtc HA01C receptacles, Evrsprng ST812 FloodDetect & ST814 Temp-HumiditySensor, Aeon SmartSwitch 2ndEd., Foscam FI9821W V2. & FI9805W(2), Schlage BE469WK & NX locks. Apps: PingSensr, Smtp and Push, Nest Tstat & Protcts(3), WebCamDropboxUploader2

Offline eldrix4

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 04:50:50 pm »
Is anyone else having issues? I'm able to use the native Nest app, but nothing else that uses the plugin works anymore, without any changes on my end - multiple app, the UI5 interface. I'm wondering if Nest have changed something in their API before publishing that's broken things..?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline eldrix4

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 05:01:42 pm »
Apologies, I upgraded to 1.6 and all is now well. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Pseudomizer

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 04:12:12 am »
I have version 1.4 installed and autoupdate is enabled. If version 1.6 is out why didn't it autoupgrade to 1.6 please?
Vera 3, RFWC5AW, 2 x LFM-20, FS20Z, 3 x YRD220ZW619KWKD, 2 x FI9826W, FI9828P, 2 x NEST Gen2, EVL-3CG, 11 x BR30, 3 x A19 Hue, Media Srv, 18 x ZW4004, 8 x ZW3003, 12 x ZW2002, IP2IR Cache, 2 x DSC24, ZWN-SC7, 4 x PIR-ZWAVE2, DSB05-ZWUS, RS100-HC, ECO-TILT-US, Ribu1C, 3 x GE12721, 2 x Echo, ZW078-A

Offline watou

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 05:03:25 am »
I have version 1.4 installed and autoupdate is enabled. If version 1.6 is out why didn't it autoupgrade to 1.6 please?

Just the other day I learned this from mcvflorin:

[An asterisk near the plugin version] means that the plugin won't auto-update because a specific version was installed and not the "latest version". Only when the "latest version" of a plugin is installed, the plugin will be auto-updated.

For now, try this:

http://YourVeraIPAddress:3480/data_request?id=update_plugin&Plugin=3116

watou

Offline Pseudomizer

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 04:06:59 am »
Thanks a lot. Did the upgrade manually.
Vera 3, RFWC5AW, 2 x LFM-20, FS20Z, 3 x YRD220ZW619KWKD, 2 x FI9826W, FI9828P, 2 x NEST Gen2, EVL-3CG, 11 x BR30, 3 x A19 Hue, Media Srv, 18 x ZW4004, 8 x ZW3003, 12 x ZW2002, IP2IR Cache, 2 x DSC24, ZWN-SC7, 4 x PIR-ZWAVE2, DSB05-ZWUS, RS100-HC, ECO-TILT-US, Ribu1C, 3 x GE12721, 2 x Echo, ZW078-A