Author Topic: A lighting sadface :(  (Read 3867 times)

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: A lighting sadface :(
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 07:18:42 am »
There was a white wire in the box, so I put that on neutral,
[...]
Also, am I supposed to connect to both white wires, or is it okay to just be connected to one and have the other one capped off?
So you found 1 or 2 white wires in the box? If 2, were they just connected together with a nut on them?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 10:26:48 am »
@AtariBaby - You don't say which switch you are using, this post will assume the GE/Jasco 45609 On/Off Switch.

1. You must positively identify the wires. You cannot simply guess or try to match the locations on the switches. The switches are very different. You must know what each wire is and you must wire the new switch according to the instructions.

2. In the case of a fluorescent light, the 45609 should work equally well as the Evolve equivalent.

3. The White wires sound like the typical Neutral bundle found in most modern gang boxes. However, you must positively identify them as such. You cannot assume that all whites are neutrals.

IF the two whites are indeed neutrals, as I suspect, you will need to add a short third white wire from your switch to the neutral bundle. Three whites together in a wire nutted bundle.

Attached is a diagram. (Diagram does not show ground from light.)

Offline AtariBaby

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 07:47:48 pm »
You're a godsend sir. At least now i understand what those wires do! How do I positively identify? With some kind of meter?

I was only connected to one of two whites bundled together. Will try to join them all.

Based on my successful switch on the other side of the wall I surmised the unused white was neutral.

If I attach the blacks to line and load one way, I got LED "off" light lit.  If I do them the other way, no LED at all.

Offline AtariBaby

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:15 pm »
Also yes that's the switch.

Yes bundled together with nut.

Thank you both for asking.

Offline AtariBaby

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 10:16:02 pm »
Success! It was because I left one neutral wire out of the equation, the one that goes to the light! Tyvm

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 10:39:06 pm »
Excellent! Precisely what we were getting at. Safely. I think. :)

Offline AtariBaby

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 12:35:50 am »

Oh, and the hood light was a success, too! If not for z-waver's clear diagram and deliberate instructions, I would surely have spliced things incorrectly. I'll post some pictures and/or video later.

I was also able to see on the Aeontec instructions which was the "on" part to the switch (it was the outside of the three screws).

And because I read the Amazon reviews that a lot of people instantly stripped the tiny screws in the microswitch, and thanks to me working with lots and lots of tiny screws, I was very careful about firmly seating all the wires into the microswitch. Got them good and tight without stripping.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:39:51 am by AtariBaby »

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 06:13:32 am »
Nice! Yes, things are pretty tight with the Aeotecs; the terminals aren't very deep either, so can be tricky indeed to get the wires firmly seated and not strip the screws.