Author Topic: Need for new iOS App  (Read 22264 times)

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
Re: Need for new iOS App
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 02:24:37 pm »
So would 7 and above be okay?
You should add a vote if you can to the thread... or start a new one.
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline Freddan101

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:38 pm »
I am wondering if anyone finds it a problem if we only support iOS 7 and above?  Please respond and let me know if anyone thinks that will be a problem.  Also I will be reaching out soon on this forum to get people to send me their UDID of their device so I can put together an ad-hoc provisioning profile for people to test, but I am not at that stage just yet.  Also if anyone is interested in what it will look like I could post some pictures of what I have so far if people are not willing to wait a month or so.
7 is fine by me. I can assist with testing.

Yes, some screenshots would be nice.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 05:18:12 pm »
I have no issues with IOS 7.

Offline bucko

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 06:23:35 pm »
You should think about going back to at least IOS 6.1.2.

Many people (me included) are jailbroken and will not EVER go to IOS7. THere are other reasons as well to stay away from IOS 7.
So keep in mind a lot of people are hanging at IOS 6xxx.

Other considerations with device compatibility are about the older devices.( iPad 1, 3, 3gs, 4) In my case I have 4 iPads and 2 older iPhones in my house just for HA control. Whatever software I use, needs to work for all of them.
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 11:57:24 am »
I have a hard time justifying one response to support back to iOS 6.  There are a lot of changes to API's between 6 and 7 and the only one using 6 uses jail broken devices which won't pay for the app.  I am a indie developer and I am happy to just write apps for myself and use for my own needs but thought doing something would benefit the greater community, however, I would like to make a little money off of the app for the amount of time I am putting in and hiring a graphic designer to provide all of the artwork needed to make the app eye appealing.  So if the sole reason for me to do iOS 6 support is to accommodate those using jail broken devices I don't think I will put in the extra hours to do so and just keep it iOS 7 only support.  I am not trying to make anyone mad but the feedback that I am getting is from people who would be willing to help me test and also pay for the app and I wouldn't want to support something long term if it was just going to non-paying users who jail break their devices.  If there are non jail broken device users who are staying with iOS 6 for performance reasons please respond and I will consider supporting iOS 6 and above.
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 05:12:43 pm »
I have taken screenshots and reached out to some of you individually to get email addresses to send them too, please PM me your email address if you would like to see screenshots.  Currently there is no artwork and once that artwork is completed it will get applied to the app making it look less dull and more exciting but wanted to show the functionality that is currently in it.
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 02:04:13 am »
Looking good so far, just sent you an email with some ideas :)
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline aldera

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 07:09:48 pm »
I'd be happy to beta test. I have an iPhone5s, iphone5, iPad Air and iPad 3rd gen all running iOS7.

Offline timholmesjr

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2014, 01:34:29 am »
I would be interested in testing as well. I have a iPhone 5 and 5c.  Both running 7

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 04:21:54 pm »
I should be moving to beta testing shortly, just awaiting the app icon and cleaning up some of the debugging code that is no longer needed.  I also made the UI very Apple like in design of the widgets and how they animate.  So far the impression of how quick everything responds has been the best thing I have heard from people I have demo'd the app to and also how clean and organized it is.  The voice control has been recoded and is pretty dang accurate and also it has been changed in a way that a future release (sooner than later) will allow for all voice commands to navigate through the app and control your devices... So you will be able to user Siri to open the app and continue with commands to take over control of a device.

Offline dbmet

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2014, 04:24:56 pm »
Sounds very nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline agoodman82

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 12:52:41 pm »
@jpete7683:

I would also be very interested in beta testing if you need more people. This concept sounds very awesome and just what I thought my HA system was lacking: the perfect mobile app. I have an iPhone 5, an iPhone 5s (both running iOS 7) and a 2nd Gen iPad.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 12:56:21 pm »
Sounds good agoodman.  Is there an email address I can send you screenshots at.  Beta testing will open up shortly and the first release will be on iPhone only, but it won't take much to move it to iPad shortly after.  I am a one man developing crew so I like to release for one device first, work out all of the issues and give support to as many vera devices as possible and then the transition to iPad will be easy.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 12:59:33 pm »
I had a thought around the location services and triggering scene's when the device is away or present.  Since the location services would be a huge chunk of battery usage to run in the background, I could utilize my functions that determine when you are on the network with your vera vs. not on your network and I am wondering if that thread running in the background to trigger stuff wouldn't be much better usage of battery life.  Thoughts?  I know people get a little worried providing their location to apps as you never know what the developer is doing with that information and if it was ever breached someone now has your home address and a hacker could take over your vera.

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 01:18:03 pm »
I guess this overlaps something like the ping sensor plugin and the iPhone locator plugin a bit, but if there is no real hit to battery life (compared with the iPhone locator plugin), then it may well be worth doing.

Not sure whats exposed in the APIs, but there are a lot of these Bluetooth low energy proximity tags available, and that would be also something that would be good to see if it could be utilized.