Author Topic: UI6 1.6.641 public beta for Vera 3/3lite (not official MCV announce)  (Read 42972 times)

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: UI6 1.6.641
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 07:42:03 am »
Sure, but that's an MCV app (for iOS and Android).

I think @garrettwp's point was that MCV has not yet communicated the interface for the new authentication system to 3rd-party control point developers (i.e. all apps that are not an MCV app), so these apps won't interface with UI6 remotely, without an update.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:45:13 am by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline AndreasE

Re: UI6 1.6.641 public beta for Vera 2/3/3lite
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 08:04:28 am »
I made the big mistake of installing the new firmware and upgrading to UI6 for my Vera Lite. It is a bit like I've been teleported to the Windows 95-days. The new interface is indeed good looking but poorly functioning and in many respect hard to understand.

1) I'm new to the Vera world and also a bit gullible, so I installed the new firmware without further notice. All my old settings and devices were suddenly gone. A modern system shouldn't do such thing, even DLink has passed this kind of behaviour years ago. Feels very much like Windows 95.

2) The old cp.mios.com/login.php does let you login. However, if you connect that way you get a "Unable to communicate with your unit." Using home.getvera.com/users/login, I'm able to login. Of course with a different user and password. Also, I'll have to use "special characters" in my password, so that I'm not able to use any of my very hard to guess machine generated passwords I'm used to. After some teeth grinding over that stupid stupidity, and after logging in, I'm able to communicate with my unit. The different logins to the same system is confusing and annoying, and "special characters" is also annoying.

3) The new interface is fine and shiny but with clear Alzheimer's disease problems. Thus, after entering my city three times, UI6 finally shows me the weather outside my window.

4) After including my lost devices again, I get some nice modern views of my sensors. I find my self thinking nasty thoughts about changing one of my devices settings. Of course, only in bizarro world would a man think that pressing settings under your device would take you to the settings for the device. Also, only in bizarro world would a man go to My System/Devices and press Edit to edit your settings. In the real Vera world, to edit your device settings you must go to My System/Settings to find ... nothing! You must press Advanced Settings under Settings, or Advanced Settings on any page. Confused? I am too. Very Windows 95-clunky.

5) After finally realising that Advanced Settings is the proper way to edit not so advanced settings for your devices, I do indeed press Advanced Settings. Suddenly I'm in a Back to the future-sequence, because the new shiny UI6 is no more, because now I'm redirected to the old UI5. Here I can press Devices and se my devices and press the wrench just like I'm used to. At the top, I have the possibility to go back to the new shiny useless UI6. Thank you, Windows 95.

6) With UI5, I was able to use the cp.mios.com/phone on my android. I liked it, it worked. It does not work after installing UI6. Why? I don't know, no information anywhere (I think). I contacted support, they informed me that the phone version doesn't work with UI6. Isn't it wonderful when support confirms what you already know?

7) After using this new UI6 I'm convinced that it SUCKS! So I decide to revert to factory settings, which in practice does not revert to factory settings. The firmware is the new one and I'm still in UI6, the only noticable difference is that my z-wave devices of course are gone. I google for some time just to realise that the old firmware and UI5 can't be found. Ahh, Windows 95-style.

Excuse me.

It might be that I'm utterly ignorant and a complete newbie, but I don't find UI6 to be anything but an unstable horror that give me palpitations. It is beyond my mental capabilities to understand why someone would release this horror UI without a easy way to revert to a usable one. Minding that this the year of 2014, the very year that man can control his home remotely using Z-wave, I can't understand it.   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:20:54 am by AndreasE »

Offline Johan71

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 08:09:29 am »
I made the big mistake of installing the new firmware and upgrading to UI6 for my Vera Lite. It is a bit like I've been teleported to Windows 95-days. The new interface is indeed good looking but poorly functioning and many respect hard to understand.

1) I'm new to the Vera world and also a bit gullible, so I installed the new firmware without further notice. All my old settings and devices were suddenly gone. A modern system shouldn't do such thing, even DLink has passed this kind of behaviour years ago. Feels very much like Windows 95.

2) The old cp.mios.com/login.php does let you login. However, if you connect that way you get a "Unable to communicate with your unit." Using home.getvera.com/users/login, I'm able to login. Of course with a different user and password. Also, I'll have to use "special characters" in my password, so that I'm not able to use any of my very hard to guess machine generated passwords I'm used to. With that stupid stupidity in mind, after logging in I'm able to communicate with my unit. The different logins to the same system is confusing and annoying, and "special characters" is also annoying.

3) The new interface is fine and shiny but with clear Alzheimer's disease problems. Thus, after entering my city three times, it finally shows me the weather outside my window.

4) After including my lost devices again I get som nice modern views of my sensors. I find my self thinking nasty thoughts about changing one of my devices settings. Of course, only in bizarro world would a man think that pressing settings under your device would take you to the settings for the device. Also, only in bizarro world would a man go to My System/Devices and press Edit to edit your settings. In the real Vera world, to edit your device settings you must go to My System/Settings to find ... nothing! You must press Advanced Settings under Settings, or Advanced Settings on any page. Confused? I am to. Very Windows 95-clunky.

5) After finally realising that Advanced Settings is the proper way to edit not so advanced settings for your devices, I do indeed press Advanced Settings. Suddenly I'm in a Back to the future-sequence, because the new shiny UI6 is no more, because now I'm redirected to the old UI5. Here I can press Devices and se my devices and press the wrench just like I'm used to. At the top I have the possibility to go back to the new shiny useless UI6. Thank you, Windows 95.

6) After using this new UI6 I'm convinced that it SUCKS! So I decide to revert to factory settings, which in practice does not revert to factory settings. The firmware is the new one and I'm still in UI6, the only noticable difference is that my z-wave devices of course is gone. I google for some time just to realise that the old firmware and UI5 can't be found. Ahh, Windows 95-style.

Excuse me.

It might be that I'm utterly ignorant and a complete newbie, but I don't find UI6 to be anything but an unstable horror that give me palpitations. It is beyond my mental capabilities to understand why someone would release this horror UI without a easy way to revert to a usable one. Minding that this the year of 2014, the very year that man can control his home remotely using Z-wave, I can't understand it.   

+10000

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline flyveleder

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 08:14:19 am »
I just learned that 1/3 of all private PC's are running Windows XP ... I wonder how many still running Win95 :-)

WIN95 FTW!

Offline koburg

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 09:26:12 am »
Please change the title of this post. This is not a public version of the firmware. Until MCV announces the firmware, there is no public beta of the new firmware and you are on your own if you decide to upgrade. You will NOT receive any support from the Community or MCV!

- Garrett

Since it look likes you are some kind of staff from MCV or at least beta tester. then can you please tell MCV that they need to make some special secure site to test
the non public beta firmwares. Since it so easy to find the firmware, and AT LEAST warn that this firmware IS NOT FOR PUBLIC!. and maybe some kind of agreement about you will not get support etc etc etc.

there is a ton of ways to make beta releases secret also like only make them as download file for beta testers. etc. etc.

and maybe lock this beta forum so normal users not can make new topics in this beta department.

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 10:13:36 am »
Please change the title of this post. This is not a public version of the firmware. Until MCV announces the firmware, there is no public beta of the new firmware and you are on your own if you decide to upgrade. You will NOT receive any support from the Community or MCV!

- Garrett

Are you even familiar with the upgrade situation?

I logged in using home.getvera.com/users/login and the first info I got was that there was a new firmware available and a question if wanted to upgrade. Of course, since I believe that the information you provide is correct and useful, I answered yes and put myself in your pile of UI6 crap without a chance to back.

I did not actively seek a new firmware and a new UI, you provided it without information. A statement like "You will NOT receive any support from the Community or MCV!" makes you look like a ruthless gangster pimp.

Offline koburg

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:29 am »

- Garrett

I logged in using home.getvera.com/users/login and the first info I got was that there was a new firmware available and a question if wanted to upgrade. Of course, since I believe that the information you provide is correct and useful, I answered yes and put myself in your pile of UI6 crap without a chance to back.

I did not actively seek a new firmware and a new UI, you provided it without information. A statement like "You will NOT receive any support from the Community or MCV!" makes you look like a ruthless gangster pimp.

+1 from me

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 10:24:03 am »
To be clear: @garrettwp is not an MCV employee, but a long-time Vera user, beta-tester and developer, with lots of time and effort invested, and endless helpful posts to his name. The quoted one included.

Offline ih8gates

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 10:29:42 am »

- Garrett

Yeah, take it down a notch, Andreas. Garrett's one of us.

Offline koburg

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 10:34:42 am »
Then Maybe it is time to tell MVC direct that they have some issues when releasing beta firmwares. instead of try teaching the users that they don't get help etc.

It is not our fault that MCV is making is so easy to upgrade to a beta firmware we are not able see the difference between beta and normal firmwares...  :(

I have never been using any other hardware units in my time, where it has been so easy to make upgrades whitout notice beta from real.

If I have broken my unit MCV is going to pay me a new!

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 10:37:17 am »
To be clear: @garrettwp is not an MCV employee, but a long-time Vera user, beta-tester and developer, with lots of time and effort invested, and endless helpful posts to his name. The quoted one included.

I completely agree with oTi.

Although, I think "ruthless gangster pimp" has a great ring to it.  ;D  .   

as much as I try, every "public" login/url I have tried does not forward me to a firmware update message. It seems some users are getting the prompt to upgrade while others are not. 
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 10:58:20 am »
Yup, I knew there had to be something beyond Master Member. :)

Right, I have trouble determining the degree of claimed easiness as well. (And things may be in flux / MCV might be changing things in the background).

Granted I don't use the portal that much, but when I do, I go to cpui5.mios.com, or cp.mios.com; was not aware of the getvera.com portal and it didn't work for me with current credentials, to get to UI5 or be offered an upgrade.

Now, there was one report where just logging into cp.mios.com offered the upgrade.

The fact that the firmware is accessible, regardless of how hard it is to obtain it, has been brought up several times by beta board members, @garrettwp included. History is simply repeating itself.

Offline AndreasE

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 11:04:30 am »
as much as I try, every "public" login/url I have tried does not forward me to a firmware update message. It seems some users are getting the prompt to upgrade while others are not.

For me there was no problem as long as I used the cp.mios.com-login. I did even used the check for new firmware function which rendered the info that my firmware was already the latest one. The problem came the first time I logged in using the home.getvera.com/users/login and the page tried and succeeded in assigning my unit. After that I got the infamous question about upgrading to a new firmware and to UI6. As a new user, there was no way for me to understand that this was a beta firmware. Also, it is VERY confusing having two different login pages using different user/password settings to reach the same unit. 

Offline SyCo

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2014, 11:45:27 am »
New to the forum, not new to Vera. I own a Vera Lite.

Last night I've lost communication to my Vera Lite using my iOS and Android third party apps (both). Went to my PC and tried to log into my vera account through my local unit web page... no success. So I went to the vera website (which I very rarely do) and the only thing I saw was "getvera.com". I've tried to logon using my current credentials, but of course that didn't work as stated many times above, so I've created a new account. Then, my unit wanted to upgrade the firmware.. which I did.. and now I'm into that weird/beta firmware without any further "beta" warnings.

It's seems to work somewhat ok. One thing that is not working is that if, when prompted, I "Activate" my unit into my newly created account it doesn't seem to be kept on the servers. Each time I log out then back on it ask to "Activate" it again :(  Any idea on that last point ? And of course if a link is available to download/install the previous UI5 I would be glad to know ?!

Offline Brientim

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2014, 12:27:09 pm »