We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Old Home - Existing 2 Wire Switches  (Read 1844 times)

Offline windexh8er

Old Home - Existing 2 Wire Switches
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:33:39 pm »
I've searched and haven't found anything concrete on this (and understand there may be limitations here).  I purchased an older home last summer that was partially renovated electrically.  Many of the remodeled rooms were rewired, however there still exists a considerable amount of old wiring in play where in the switches have two wires.  My question is - with a pigtail, are there any options for Z-Wave switches or dimmers that are reliable with no ground?

I am considering redoing the remainder of the electrical with an electrician to expand the current box and remediate some capacity issues long term, but curious if there's anything I can use in the interim.  I had an older switch next to a newer one that I tried to leverage powering the switch with and still being able to switch the load, however that did not work as I expected.  And in all other cases in the house I don't have this option anyway.

Any help or insight is much appreciated!

Offline cmdrake

Re: Old Home - Existing 2 Wire Switches
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:56:52 pm »
The Leviton VRI06-1LZ works well for controlling incandescent and dimmable cfl / led bulbs. I'm in the same situation (no neutral in switch boxes), and I've been installing these where I want vera controlled switches.

If you have room in the boxes where your lights are actually installed, you can also use something like Aeotec/Aeon's micro switches.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:09:37 pm »
Yes, you do have several choices.

Aeon Labs Micro In-Wall Appliance Switch As @cmdrake states, these can be mounted in the light's junction box, utilizing the neutral there and not requiring a neutral at the switch.

Leviton VRS05-1LZ 5A Incandescent Scene Capable Switch Note 5 Amp max.

Leviton VRI06-1LZ 600W Incandescent Scene Capable Dimmer LED bulbs may be an issue with this dimmer.

GE 45612 In-Wall Dimmer This dimmer does not work well with LED bulbs.

Offline windexh8er

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 12:23:42 pm »
Thank you very much gentlemen!  Any oddities with no ground?  Buzzing, flickering, etc?  I've used GE dimmer switches in the past on the newer wiring and I found them to be pretty bad, however the Evolve switches I have don't exhibit any of that behavior.

Thanks again.  ;D

Update:
The funny thing is I was looking at the VRI06-1LZ on Amazon and forgot I accidentally ordered it with some other things.  Just reading through the install manual it looks like this should be a good fit.  Good thing I forgot to send it back!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:39:47 pm by windexh8er »