We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: integrating existing Ceiling Remote Fans/Lights  (Read 8644 times)

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
Re: integrating existing Ceiling Remote Fans/Lights
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 02:44:52 am »
Make sure that whatever Zwave device you fit can handle inductive loads. Most dimmers will die very quickly and you could even end up with a fire at worst case.

Currently its only Leviton that seems to make a fan controler that I know of.

Obviously if the Aeon modules specify they are OK with inductive loads (?) then you are OK. Relay type devices work if you aren't worried about fan speed.

Per my earlier post, if I couldn't fit a dual gang box, then I'd be inclined to do this by hiding the Leviton module above the fan, and then using a Leviton 4 button plus local load controler in the single gang.

Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline Jasonejc

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 05:08:24 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I'll let you know when I figure this out.

Offline fabstar81

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 06:39:14 am »
Easiest is to indeed solder some wires to the remote and let them be handled by a 2x1,5 kWh relay of fibaro. The thing with learning the RF signals is that it could be a protected signal.
Try searching for Somfy remote and fibaro. A lot of experiments with soldered fibaro switches on RF remotes.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Offline SM2k

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 09:27:44 am »
The thing with learning the RF signals is that it could be a protected signal.

You certainly have a point there. I still have yet to receive the dongle (ground mail from overseas plus customs), so I can't deliver any results with regard to learning RF signals. That said the remotes I'm dealing with have the usual 4-dip-switches-that-must-match thing going on, so in this use case I'm pretty sure there's nothing special about their codes.

The dongle itself is dirt cheap. I spent $12 on it. Even if this endeavor is a colossal failure, it's still well worth it from a learning perspective.

Offline rickybello

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 03:33:01 am »
Hopefully you keep us posted, I also have a Hampton Bay module and will live to seeing something working

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Offline fullauto

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 11:01:19 pm »
Make sure that whatever Zwave device you fit can handle inductive loads. Most dimmers will die very quickly and you could even end up with a fire at worst case.

So a GE 45609 (basic on/off with no dim) would be suitable as a wall switch if just using pull chains for fan speed and light?  I know this is very old school but I am leaning this way as the path of least resistance now and wanted to make sure it is suitable since the room I have in mind has the only ceiling fan I need to plan for.

Any other common mechanical scenarios to watch out for inductive load?  I ask because I couldn't think of any other in our house (I'm not managing any major appliances with zwave).

Offline SM2k

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 02:52:59 pm »
My RTL2832U dongle arrived yesterday, and I'm happy to report it works like a champ. As it turns out my fan remote (and quite possibly all consumer fan remotes) uses ASK, so it's just a series of pulses at the carrier frequency--not unlink IR signals from a remote control. All I needed to do was write a small program to translate the IQ sample data from the RTL2832U driver into a series of timings, which I then sent to @RexBecket's KiraRX plugin.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14618.0.html

I taught the KiraRx plugin the codes from my fan remote, and it now generates events every time a button on my fan remote is pressed. Yes, I'm misusing his brilliant plugin in an unexpected way, but why not!? :)

Currently I've got a few bugs in my wrapper program, but once I get those ironed out, I'll post the code.

Offline rickybello

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 03:03:03 pm »
Oh man you will be become officialy "THA MAN"

Offline BulldogLowell

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 03:14:29 pm »
My RTL2832U dongle arrived yesterday, and I'm happy to report it works like a champ. As it turns out my fan remote (and quite possibly all consumer fan remotes) uses ASK, so it's just a series of pulses at the carrier frequency--not unlink IR signals from a remote control. All I needed to do was write a small program to translate the IQ sample data from the RTL2832U driver into a series of timings, which I then sent to @RexBecket's KiraRX plugin.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14618.0.html

I taught the KiraRx plugin the codes from my fan remote, and it now generates events every time a button on my fan remote is pressed. Yes, I'm misusing his brilliant plugin in an unexpected way, but why not!? :)

Currently I've got a few bugs in my wrapper program, but once I get those ironed out, I'll post the code.

great!

Offline SM2k

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 02:22:17 pm »
Well, in a complete reversal of my previous statement, the RTL2832U isn't "working like a champ". As I have continued to test, my dongle unfortunately seems to have become quite unstable. Most of the time I end up with too much line-noise to get a readable signal. Every once in a while I manage to get things stable enough for a test environment and it works well enough, but the minute I reload the driver program, things fall apart and I spend ten minutes coaxing things to work again.

As much variance as I've experienced, I wouldn't recommend this as a good generalized approach. Time to break out the soldering iron. :)