We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Any way to limit dimmer level at certain time?  (Read 7605 times)

Offline jolerius

Any way to limit dimmer level at certain time?
« on: January 30, 2014, 04:27:59 am »
I want to know if there is a way to limit a fibaro dimmer so that it will only dim to a specific level.

For example when i get up in the morning i want the light limited to ex 30%. And on the evening i want it to turn on to 100%. I know i can get full strenght with a doubble click on the wallswitch. But then it will be full next time i click it too.
So how can i via the wallswitch turn on the lamp to a certain level based on ex time of day????

Skickat fr?n min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

Offline jolerius

Re: Any way to limit dimmer level at certain time?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:56:40 am »
Bump

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:33:21 am »
This can be done via lua code or pleg. This will only work reliably if the switch supports instant status. This will be needed to tell Vera when you hit the switch to adjust the light to the setting you have set up. However you will run into the issue of the light going up and than down to the level set for that time.

- Garrett

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:44:55 am »
I want to know if there is a way to limit a fibaro dimmer so that it will only dim to a specific level.

Cross-referencing the earlier Fibaro-specific thread (that you also posted in).

In general, there is no way of pre-setting the dim level. You'd have to go with something like @garrettwp described.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:47:42 am by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline jolerius

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:25:57 am »
Isnt there anyway to set a specific parameter via lua or PLEG?? in that way i can set max dimmer level through schematics and lua/pleg

Offline jolerius

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:29:23 am »
I found a solution, but not a pemanemt one. The solution is to make a scene that sets specific dimmer to xx level and then turns it off again. In that way i get what i want. A little annoying with blinking lights in the evening/morning. But thats the only solution i got right now

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 11:25:09 am »
In general, there is no way of pre-setting the dim level. You'd have to go with something like @garrettwp described.

Out of curiosity, is this a limitation of Z-wave or a limitation of the Vera? I find this kind of odd that z-wave has no way of setting a dim level with the switch off (something my switches let me do manually at the switch itself with it off (Leviton)).
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 12:03:05 pm »
Even if this is possible, it would be manufacturer specific. I do not know of any dimmer that allows this.

- Garrett

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 12:14:31 pm »
That's a bit of a let down. I was hoping it was a Vera limitation. It seems quite logical to be able to set the dim level without turning the device one. However, I guess at the same time, a lot of these devices were made to work with remotes or wall controllers instead of a system like Vera (that is my assumption, and I could be wrong).

I've tried all the different ways of setting the dim level at certain times, and most of them pretty much make the system look amateurish to me (blinking lights, etc). I am eventually going to move to wired motion sensors and I think once that is done, I will actually not need switches all that much (for the most part). I am also looking on using Android tablets with charging wall mounts to replace most of the switches in most of the rooms. This will mean I can set up screens to use scenes instead of "Switches" and those scenes can be based on time of day.

Another option would be to go the way that a lot of Lutron RA systems are set up (or so I've read). Put all the switches in a central location and just use wall controllers for the lights. This is of course less than optimal in an existing home where you don't want to completely rewire it.

VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)

Offline Ds514

• Because automatic.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 02:38:19 pm »
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,17416.msg145648.html#msg145648

The current variety of Insteon dimmers have this functionality built in and there are currently several methods of integration with the Vera. In my opinion, the best such method is the ISY Plugin discussed in the Insteon board.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 04:25:30 pm »
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,17416.msg145648.html#msg145648

The current variety of Insteon dimmers have this functionality built in and there are currently several methods of integration with the Vera. In my opinion, the best such method is the ISY Plugin discussed in the Insteon board.

I wish I had know that before going z-wave. Seems like such a no-brainer for home automation!!

Offline Ds514

• Because automatic.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 04:33:01 pm »
Not too late. I am finding that the ISY and the Vera together are an excellent combination. Some things that the ISY does not do well, the Vera (principally through its community) excels at, and vice versa. I would not want either on its own at this point.

The problem is whatever investment into Z-wave switches you have. Fortunately for me I had a 50/50 mix as I initially bought into MCV's claims about Insteon compatibility.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 05:20:37 pm »
I have about 6 dimmers (combination of VRE06s and VRI06s) already in use in combination with about 3 or 4 lamp modules. I see Insteon use the same paddle style, which makes me happy. The only thing is I'm not sure I like is the style of dimming, but that may just take some getting used to. I could also probably sell some of the leviton dimmers in replacement for Insteon and still not have lost that much money. I will have to investigate this further and see if it's worth pursuing. Thanks @Ds514 for the suggestion. I was already thinking of doing fanLincs, so I will investigate the ISY. I will have to start another thread (For me) when I am ready to purchase.

edit: it appears they are not the same. The shadow in the images I found made me think it pops out at the bottom like the Leviton ones, but it doesn't, it's flat like the Lutron dimmers. I find a lot of people are confused by the flat ones (I used to use the no HA Lutron dimmers). They never know how to turn them on. With the leviton ones, they know to press the part that sticks out.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:41:36 pm by SirMeili »

Offline Ds514

• Because automatic.
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 06:51:42 pm »
Yes, they are quite flat. However, up is on and down is off, which is the universal protocol. The Levitons do not follow that protocol and that always bothered me about them. This distinction also increases the options for control and automation (e.g., even if the switch is off, I have set most rooms to pause the corresponding Sonos if a "fast off" or double tap off is sent). Add to this that they know if they are pressed on/off vs. controlled on/off and the argument gets quite compelling. This is just the dimmers and switches.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:43:53 pm by Ds514 »

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 07:50:50 am »
Out of curiosity, is this a limitation of Z-wave or a limitation of the Vera? I find this kind of odd that z-wave has no way of setting a dim level with the switch off (something my switches let me do manually at the switch itself with it off (Leviton)).
As @garrettwp said, it's not a Vera limitation. Z-Wave devices could implement something that is device-specific (like the Fibaro's?), but it would have been really nice if this was fixed in the Z-Wave command class for dimming (so all dimmers would have to support it), but I have no evidence that something like that exists.
Dezwaved at the moment...