We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Any way to limit dimmer level at certain time?  (Read 7598 times)

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Any way to limit dimmer level at certain time?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 09:22:17 am »
I only have one insteon dimmer which I bought to test it out and is still in it's box and in storage. When I looked at it the insteon dimmer, it was a paddle style. Not flat like the GE dimmers and not like the Leviton where only the bottom half protrudes.

- Garrett

Offline tbully

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 12:14:34 pm »
Just ranting....    ;D    ......wish I was bringing a solution.

I just ran in to this issue as well.  I wanted to limit the dimmer's upper limit at night so that if someone turns the light on (from the switch) it wouldn't blind the other sleeping.

Insteon is interesting but I'm not sure I want to invest in a new controller/technology at this point.

Offline TC1

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 10:36:42 am »
Just to follow up to this thread, the Leviton dimmers do support programming their dim levels (without turning them on) via Z-wave. But MCV has dropped the ball in supporting these manufacturer specific parameters. Maybe if enough people make noise, I've already sent a PM to MCV over a week ago, but have gotten no response.

-TC

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 12:50:10 pm »
[...] the Leviton dimmers do support programming their dim levels (without turning them on) via Z-wave.
As said on the other thread, I wouldn't mind someone reporting how to do this with Leviton tools. I'm not aware of anything in the Installer Tool, ThinkEssentials, VRC0P, or VRCPG.

There's controls for the (presumably) proprietary Load Sense and LED Timeout features of an outlet, but a dimmer shows nothing special?

Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline TC1

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 03:11:57 pm »
@oTi@ - I've been doing my best trying to track down this info, the only thing I can come up with is the programming options via the device itself:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGetAttachment.jsp?cItemId=d3GVIl7R6KIGABQp1mje.g&label=IBE&appName=IBE&minisite=10251

Based on past forum postings by MCV, it was indicated that the extra features of the Leviton devices would be controllable via Vera.

VRCoP is capable of sending commands to Vizia devices, but you have to know the command structures. Apparently this info is available via a Leviton SDK. Just found some documentation on those commands, but it's obviously not all inclusive.

http://kb.homeauto.com/redirfile.asp?id=530&SID=

I'm willing to admit I cold be wrong here. I guess the only way to truly find out is to open a dialog with Leviton, but who knows whether they will respond to me if I'm not a certified partner or something similar.

-TC

Offline tbully

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 06:28:55 pm »
I plan on bugging Leviton on Monday. I will be dropping about $1.5K on switches and other Leviton hardware shortly. Surely this is a drop in the bucket for them but maybe they will at least give me an honest response. 

Maybe I will contact MCV as well?  Worth my time?

Offline TC1

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 06:42:41 pm »
From 4 years ago -
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,2037.msg12105.html#msg12105

Everyone who has Leviton dimmers should be flooding MCV for an answer to this... will they or won't they provide support for the proprietary features?? Just give us an answer.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 07:58:22 pm »
I just sent an email to info@getvera.com (the only support email I could find). If they actually respond back, I will post here. 4 years later though and I'm guessing this feature is vaporware and will actually never come to the vera (unfortunately) no matte how much I need/want them to.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline Katmai

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 03:55:58 am »
I don't really have an end solution to the problem, but you mentioned basically presetting the dim level before you turn the light on. I believe Leviton and the ones I have (Cooper) let you do this by just pressing the dim toggle up and down to adjust the LEDs on the front. One you have the level you want, turn it on. But I too don't know of a way to have that automatically set except by what you're currently doing by having the scene turn it on then off at the level you want.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 11:12:45 am »
@TC1,

Based on past forum postings by MCV, it was indicated that the extra features of the Leviton devices would be controllable via Vera.
As far as I've been able to determine, that one post is what leads to you believe, but you do not know for a fact (from other sources or own experience), that those features (i.e. the A and B features that can be programmed locally on the device) are programmable through Z-Wave.

Again, that one post, is not necessarily a confirmation and response to those features being available through Z-Wave. That thread is a bit scattered, it does not deal with just the A and B features, folks there already (including folks who are in the Z-Wave 'business', not just end users) seemed to indicate they didn't know of anything.

Also, MCV's posts are rare and often 'tagged on' to some (loosely) related thread. Again, the post is probably of a more generic nature. And a bunch of proprietary stuff has been put into Vera firmware since then. This is related to scene/zone controllers, and their operation in a Vera network, which is a variant of native Leviton behavior.

Then, as said, personally I'm not aware of anything either, in any of the Leviton tools. The Installer Tools, ThinkEssentials and the VRCPG readily expose two features on the outlet, but nothing is there for the dimmers. The VRC0P does not appear to deal with it either, but I haven't tried it again. (The command set can be downloaded from the Leviton website.)

It's not that I wouldn't like this to be controllable through Z-Wave, but given all the info collected so far, I wouldn't call for flooding MCV with emails, but first make sure that what is desired actually is possible. A call to Leviton, as @tbully proposed, might be a good start. I wouldn't bring up Vera, but just ask if the A/B features on the dimmers can be programmed through Z-Wave / what Leviton tools support that / how to do it.
Dezwaved at the moment...