We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Faster LED updates on VRCS2  (Read 8316 times)

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Faster LED updates on VRCS2
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 03:07:16 pm »
Really, so it works with the Vera off?  Does the scene light still work too?
My local load switches and my scene light changes, with Vera off! I didn't expect that, but I'm very glad for it.

I'm assuming you have "Use Vera Routing turned off"?
No. "Use Vera routing" is checked. I generally have better results with this and I prefer to maintain defaults whenever possible. However, due to Vera automatically choosing a flaky route over the optimal one, I have a manual route set on the VRCS2 that overrides the autoroutes.
Wrench -> Device Options -> Manual Z-Wave route
or
Wrench -> Advanced Settings -> manual route

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 03:43:16 pm »
I'll need to test that when I get home.  That's pretty neat Vera can translate that to a local "program" and run independently. 
WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 11:29:21 am »
My local load switches and my scene light changes, with Vera off!
Did you by any chance power-cycle the VRCS2 after Vera was off?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 01:47:36 pm »
My local load switches and my scene light changes, with Vera off!
Did you by any chance power-cycle the VRCS2 after Vera was off?
After your post I:

Powered off Vera.
Cycled the breaker for the VRCS2.
Pressed a button on the VRCS2.

Results: The local load turns on and the LED indicator comes on immediately. Three to four seconds later, the LED blinks Off and On three or four times and then remains on. Pushing the bitton again, the local load turns off immediately and the LED turns off within a second or so. The switch, LEDs, and local loads, continue to operate normally with the additional LED blinking.

Powering the Vera back on, everything operates as described in previous posts.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 02:05:25 pm »
OK. And continue in that state by powering off Vera again, then try the buttons on the VRCS2. Do the LEDs update?

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 02:05:48 pm »
z-waver, i think it blinks until it talks to all the devices.  It seems like all the logic works with the local load/light, but it blinks while trying to update the Vera device (which is unavailable)...and then times out in 4-5 seconds.
WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 02:19:24 pm »
OK. And continue in that state by powering off Vera again, then try the buttons on the VRCS2. Do the LEDs update?
Unplugging Vera again(without cycling the breaker) the switches and local loads continue to work as desired. LED blinking does occur while Vera is off. The only thing I'm missing while Vera is off, is other devices in the scene that are not directly associated with the VRCS2, which is as it should be.

Take a backup and give it a try. Two positive results alone are not enough to confirm that this is the best way.

z-waver, i think it blinks until it talks to all the devices.  It seems like all the logic works with the local load/light, but it blinks while trying to update the Vera device (which is unavailable)...and then times out in 4-5 seconds.
This seems to be the case.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 08:35:19 pm »
@Z-Waver, @AgileHumor,

Interesting. So, if I read that right, @Z-Waver's comment that it's working even with Vera off, really means that there is some blinking activity, but then the LED state settles where one would expect it? And @AgileHumor is seeing the same thing?

The blinking is expected, somewhat. But that the final state actually reflects the expected state, is surprising.

Vera with 1.5.622, right?

@AgileHumor, in your scene, are you just switching the local load, or other (non-Leviton) stuff too?

@Z-Waver, is the behavior you are seeing any different from what you had before, in terms of the blinking and the final state (i.e. not the speed, that's clear)?

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 10:37:01 pm »
I'm only switching the local load on that video (the dual closet lights) in my example.

I have 2 other VRCS2 i use to control Hue lights on the patio (top button) and BY floodlights (bottom button)...no local load.  Sadly, it wouldn't be a good test case as I have some Luup code tying two bridged Vera's.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:46:07 pm by AgileHumor »

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 09:37:34 am »
Interesting. So, if I read that right, @Z-Waver's comment that it's working even with Vera off, really means that there is some blinking activity, but then the LED state settles where one would expect it? And @AgileHumor is seeing the same thing?

The blinking is expected, somewhat. But that the final state actually reflects the expected state, is surprising.

Vera with 1.5.622, right?

@AgileHumor, in your scene, are you just switching the local load, or other (non-Leviton) stuff too?
Yes,  your reading is correct. The LED switches appropriately immediately. But, a moment or two later is proceeds to blink several times and then finally settles back to the correct indication. Yes, it is Vera 1.5.622.

My scenes switch the local load as well as other non-Leviton devices. Naturally, switching the non-Leviton devices in the scene only works when Vera is On. It is, after all, a Vera scene.

@Z-Waver, is the behavior you are seeing any different from what you had before, in terms of the blinking and the final state (i.e. not the speed, that's clear)?
Frankly, I don't remember what the "Vera-free" blinking was like when I used direct associations. That information might be in one of my old posts, but I don't know. Vera-free operation wasn't something that I tested very much since, even with Vera, the operation was sometimes imperfect and that was my focus. What I do remember of previous Vera-free operation is that the local and other associated nodes would switch but it would enter a blocking state, where the switch would not operate for at least a short time, and occasionally it would block to the point of requiring double taps.

Offline mda

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 05:25:42 pm »
I also just tried @AgileHumor's approach and it seems to be working better than anything else worked ever :) Brilliant !

I will keep my eye on it and see if it survives my nightly heal which includes luup and unix restarts (MCV support is months into debugging that bit of fun with no solution yet, but that's another story).

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 12:50:52 pm »
I'm only switching the local load on that video (the dual closet lights) in my example.
Thanks.

Yes,  your reading is correct. The LED switches appropriately immediately. But, a moment or two later is proceeds to blink several times and then finally settles back to the correct indication.
OK, thanks.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:25:11 pm by oTi@ »

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 12:53:26 pm »
I also just tried @AgileHumor's approach and it seems to be working better than anything else worked ever
Just the speed of the LED updates, or also the accuracy?

Offline mda

Faster LED updates on VRCS2
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 01:01:41 pm »
Both the speed of LED updates and response consistency ( so far it has not become unresponsive or required a double tap - it has been working with one tap to turn on and one tap to turn off ). I will monitor to see if the goodness holds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 01:06:46 pm »
I've gotten some screenshots attached.
Bypassing Vera's scene logic and triggering an LED update off of the scene button seems reasonable when the button is just controlling the local load (as in your dual closet light example), given that scene controller and local load are the same device, and cuts out (at a minimum) the 'slow' instant status updates.

It appears it can lead to inconsistencies in Vera's view of the state of the scene, but that may or may not be important to you. (i.e. Some control points will show the state of scene.)

A more universal application could be to also leave the LEDs under Vera control, and split off the 'manual' LED updates into separate scenes (to assure scene state consistency).

This would allow on/off buttons in the GUI / control points to work, other devices to be included, and proper LED updates, even when devices' states are changed through other controllers and local state changes (but with the usual delay).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:09:52 pm by oTi@ »