Author Topic: DimmableLED light circuit and sketch (used for Kitchen Cabinet Lighting)  (Read 31975 times)

Offline blacey

I was looking at this enclosure for my gateway

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10088

I was planning on an Ethernet gateway instead of a USB, but I don't know if @hek's sketch will support the shield that I want to buy.  I don't want to have to do a bunch of messing around with the enclosure but want it to look tidy, but I can't find a 'board ready' enclosure for the Nano, and it appears that it is the only board that supports the USB gateway, and this is the only 'board ready' enclosure I can find for the UNO, and it works with a shield that I am unsure the sketch will support.   ???

Is the button for inclusion?

MySensors currently supports two Ethernet shields - you can find more information here - http://www.mysensors.org/build/vera#building-an-ethernet-connected-gateway

I have a Vera 3 so I opted for a USB gateway because that was all we originally supported.  Thanks to the community help, we can now support two Ethernet shields.  If you build an Ethernet gateway, you can use an Arduino Mini because you won't need the built-in USB that the Nano provides.

You should checkout the MySensors Store http://www.mysensors.org/store/ - contains a number of useful links and if you click through, it helps to fund our community-sponsored operation.

Yes, the button is for inclusion.

Thanks,
Bruce
Three Vera-3 (Home, Seasonal 1 & 2) - Firmware: 1.5.622,   Zwave: 3.20 L:1
One Vera-Edge (Dependent) - Firmware: 1.7.1707, Zwave: 4.5 L:1

Offline Vodden

You should checkout the MySensors Store http://www.mysensors.org/store/ - contains a number of useful links and if you click through, it helps to fund our community-sponsored operation.

I am purchasing everything thru the mysensors.org store, with the single exception of the enclosure.  I am going to make the one Ethernet shield work for me in that enclosure just to be sure I am 100% supported. 

I've probably spent 8 hours between the Arduino threads on MCV and the mysensors.org website in the past 2 days, the support is incredible!

Kudos

Vera 3 v1.5.622, Sharp Aquos, DSC 1864, EVL-3, (2) iPhone 6, Kwikset 912, Kwikset 910, (2) Linear WT00Z-1, (2) Linear WS15Z-1, (2) Linear WD500Z-1, (2) Evolve LTM-5, (8.) Aeotec micro-dimmer,  (3) Aeotec micro-switch, (1) Cooper Aspire RF9500

Offline blacey

I am purchasing everything thru the mysensors.org store, with the single exception of the enclosure.

THANKS!  We appreciate any help we can get.

Offline Vodden

UPDATE:

I have finally purchased everything I need for this little adventure.  Plus a bunch of surplus that I'm sure I will use up on future projects, all for under $100!  Easily enough kit to build 6 child boards and one gateway.  I changed my mind on a few things, I decided to use the Nano for a gateway after looking at your post.  It looks pro as well.  I may have pulled the trigger a little too soon on the radio voltage regulator, purchasing 5-AMS1117 units, but after checking the spec sheet may not work too well with a 12V input, so I spent another $6 on the LE33ACZ units you opted for.  I'm guessing I won't have everything until mid May, but I've got plenty of installing to do until then.

Will keep you posted!
Vera 3 v1.5.622, Sharp Aquos, DSC 1864, EVL-3, (2) iPhone 6, Kwikset 912, Kwikset 910, (2) Linear WT00Z-1, (2) Linear WS15Z-1, (2) Linear WD500Z-1, (2) Evolve LTM-5, (8.) Aeotec micro-dimmer,  (3) Aeotec micro-switch, (1) Cooper Aspire RF9500

Offline rosskinard

I'm waiting for the fabrication and delivery of some circuits I put together for Nano and Mini Pro based sensors...one of which is a RGBW board...which with the sketches on here could be used as RGBW or 4 dimmer channels for any single color strips.

I'll post pics of the boards, both raw form and with components soldered on. They should be done at the fab around Apr 20, then shipped to me. Then I'll put them to a test with my system.

I made a power board that will take 12VDC in and has the 12V pass through for the LED strips and also has 5V and 3.3V outputs too.

The RGBW board also breaks out the remaining two digital pins (D7 and D8) so you could add sensors like motion or magnetic switches to control the lights.

the RGB strip and the White strip are screw terminals...

Offline blacey

I'm waiting for the fabrication and delivery of some circuits I put together for Nano and Mini Pro based sensors...one of which is a RGBW board...which with the sketches on here could be used as RGBW or 4 dimmer channels for any single color strips.

Ross, that PCB design is wweet!   :) :) :)

Offline hek

Awesome!

Offline rosskinard

Here's a 4-channel LED control board layout for existing setups...this one doesn't house the Arduino + WiFi nor does it have the power regulators...

6 pins for input: 4 channels (RGBW) and 2 power (12V and GND)

Compact board taking 4 MOSFETS, 4 of the 2-screw terminals, 8 resistors and 6 header pins (group of 4 and 2)

I haven't ordered any prototypes of these yet...will cost $8 to get 3 boards made, then the cost of the parts.

Approx 1.35" x 1.35" (34mm x 34mm)

Offline gregl

Really nice Ross!

Offline Vodden

This forum never ceases to amaze me!

Custom PCB for this project alone?  WOW!

I'm guessing that Ross should have ordered more than 4, he could probably be taking orders for them right now...

They would also be effective for one color LED applications too, so I would take 6 of them right now if they were for sale  ;D

Uber cool.

Nice work @rosskinard

Offline Vodden

@hek

So when do we start a custom PCB design thread?!?

I just snooped around the internet a bit and I didn't realize how ridiculously affordable custom PCB's are.  Also found a site with free design software.

Thanks for planting the seed @rosskinard!  I have no idea what I'm doing with this kind of stuff, but I can tell I'm going to be spending lots of time on it now. 

Offline SirMeili

Here's a 4-channel LED control board layout for existing setups...this one doesn't house the Arduino + WiFi nor does it have the power regulators...

6 pins for input: 4 channels (RGBW) and 2 power (12V and GND)

Compact board taking 4 MOSFETS, 4 of the 2-screw terminals, 8 resistors and 6 header pins (group of 4 and 2)

I haven't ordered any prototypes of these yet...will cost $8 to get 3 boards made, then the cost of the parts.

Approx 1.35" x 1.35" (34mm x 34mm)

I'm just curious if you'd be willing to have the boards made and sell them or if you could release the layout so others could have the board made. I am very interested in doing a RGBW for behind my bathroom mirrors as accent light (and for some other "information by color" features, like weather forecasting and outside temp).

I'm not sure how good my soldering skills are, but I'm sure if I could get a few boards I could figure it out.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline rosskinard

Thanks all

These designs are pretty much done around my own wants/needs of this project, but I'm trying to make them usable for others should they be interested.

If they work properly, I'll set them as shared designs on the prototyping site and give you guys links so you can select and order them. The site I'm using charges $5 per square inch of PCB space and that gives you 3 copies of the design also...I got the link from one of the Lady Ada reference pages.

It's a shared/panelized fab setup...so you submit your request and once they have enough orders to fill a panel, they send it off to build.

I use Eagle Pro for the PCB creation and this site allows me to upload the full BRD file for processing...I don't have to fool with using the CAM processor to generate all the outline/pad/mask/drill files needed.

http://oshpark.com

Selling them is a tempting thing since I'd use it to fuel even more tinkering, but if it wasn't for everyone here giving their time and effort freely then these PCB ideas never would exist in the first place...so it's only right to give back to the community.

Here's a list of some of the other PCB designs I've been tinkering with:
Powered Mini Pro sensor board - DC input jack for 7V-20V input, regulated down to 5V and 3.3V for the Arduino and RF card. 6 digital pins and 8 analog pins, each with a GND and 5V pin to power a sensor
Compact Nano-based sensor board - 2-pin right angle header for +5V and GND. RF card slot. Header pin row with all 8 analog and 6 digital, but only a single 5V/GND combo for sensors. (Done since the power comes from the Nano and needs to keep the draw low.)
Compact Power Regulator board - no-DC jack...just 2 wire points in. Output wire points for GND, 5V and 3.3V.
Nano Gateway board - Setup for a Nano, RF card, Inclusion button and 3 LEDs. Hopefully I got the spacing close enough so people with the full antenna version of the RF card can use it too. I don't have that card so I couldn't design the board dimensions around it. If it doesn't work, maybe a Rev 2 could be made. If I ever pick up the Ethernet component I might design one to support that instead of the Nano/USB config so options exist.

Offline hek

@rosskinard

Would be great if you could share the PCB designs at forum.mysensors.org also (when you've had time to verify them).

Thanks
Henrik

Offline Vodden

@ rosskinard

I think there would be a lot of interest in the gateway card you have planned as well.  I would definitely be interested in one of those too!