We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: DimmableLED light circuit and sketch (used for Kitchen Cabinet Lighting)  (Read 33321 times)

Offline rosskinard

If I recall some reading, a full 5m RGB strip consumes around 6A and full brightness of all 3 channels...so capping out around 2A per color channel if you average that way, but of course the diff colors will have slightly different consumption.

I could see a single white LED strip getting by at 1.x amps at full...

Maybe put an ammeter inline with the strip and check to see if it measures the same as your chip does and tweak the sketch to report approx the same?

Nice to know those little chips can handle a full strip with no real heat...bodes well for some compact controls. I wonder if those same types are used in the IR "controllers" that ship with those basic RGB strips where they programmed in 44 color sets and all. Once I get mine converted to Vera controlled I'll crack one open and look. They are rated to drive almost 2 full 5m strips before risking a burnout on the controller.

What is the part # on your voltage measuring chip? Might look at incorporating it into some SMD concepts I've got about half completed.

Offline blacey

What is the part # on your voltage measuring chip? Might look at incorporating it into some SMD concepts I've got about half completed.

Hi Ross, I am using an ACS713 to measure the current and a voltage divider to measure the voltage.  I am considering using a lower-cost low-side current sensor that doesn't require 5 VDC to drive it but that is still just a notion at this point (i.e. no part number).

Best,
Bruce

P.S. Sorry for the delayed response - I landed in London after an 11 hour flight from San Francisco.
Three Vera-3 (Home, Seasonal 1 & 2) - Firmware: 1.5.622,   Zwave: 3.20 L:1
One Vera-Edge (Dependent) - Firmware: 1.7.1707, Zwave: 4.5 L:1

Offline blacey

Ross, I made my last post when I was suffering a bit of jet lag so to speak but here are a couple of other points that I didn't address.

• I took inline multimeter current readings for the short test strips at different brightnesses so I have those as references for calibrating my arithmetic but clearly a larger load reference (e.g. 5M strip) is warranted however I won't be able to do that until I return home.
  • If you are considering SMD designs, I just built a reflow oven from a $30 4-slice Black & Decker toaster oven that works great.  There is a lot of information on the Internet to do this but I can share what I did for those who are interested.  As you noted above, your through-hole designs will be easier for a broader set of hobbyists on this site

Best,
Bruce
Three Vera-3 (Home, Seasonal 1 & 2) - Firmware: 1.5.622,   Zwave: 3.20 L:1
One Vera-Edge (Dependent) - Firmware: 1.7.1707, Zwave: 4.5 L:1

Offline Jasonejc

great thread.. I've started building a gateway and 4 channel LED driver.  I'm sure I'll need some help as others had.

Has anyone looked at this product and any thoughts on it?  Seems like we're building something very similar.

http://dimming-led-driver.com/english/product/LED-WiFi-Controller-104.html

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
great thread.. I've started building a gateway and 4 channel LED driver.  I'm sure I'll need some help as others had.

Has anyone looked at this product and any thoughts on it?  Seems like we're building something very similar.

http://dimming-led-driver.com/english/product/LED-WiFi-Controller-104.html

That product is the same as the "Milight" that I use currently. There is already a plugin in the Vera App Market.  50.00 gets you a remote and master and a slave for RGBW setup.
I never bought a remote I use Vera and or my phone to control. There is a "Milight" app for Android or apple or you use the Vera app of your choice.  Without the remote and master and slave is 38.99 so its very cheap and works well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WiFi-2-4G-RF-Touch-Remote-wireless-Phone-MiLight-RGBW-RGB-led-Controller-Dimmer-/310931657473?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&var=&hash=item4864f89301

EDIT: that unit looks like it does control more then 4 different zones light but 30.00 for another master is probley still cheaper then the kit your posted.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:55:36 am by integlikewhoa »

Offline hightop32

oh internet.  i love when i need a solution and one is already available!
blacey thanks for the good work tying this stuff together nicely!  very awesome.

only thing i would like to add... a sound detecting circuit so i could pulse a 'dumb' LED strip with music with the ability to send a distinct command to the arduino to enable/disable the pulsing.

i think if i put some time at it i can pull it off without much too add to the arduino and existing sketch.  maybe i could make it an addon?

Offline Jasonejc

I got my gateway and test device working today.. amazing how easy it is.. thanks for all the work Hek, Bruce, and all others.  I have the LED dimmer on 2 channels, have 2 two to go.  Per my last post on this thread, there are really great off the self solutions for this so not exactly sure why I'm doing this but it's great brain food and I'm having tons of fun learning.

Thanks again and thanks in advance for the 100s of questions I'm sure to ask in the coming weeks.

Offline C4Vette

@blacey
Any chance you will alter the sketch for 1.4 libraries? I've tried myself but I understand too little about the code.

Ed
VeraLite UI7 1.7.649
Fan of: PLEG, DataYours, dutchSmartMeter, MySensors

Offline deardsy

Re: DimmableLED light circuit and sketch (used for Kitchen Cabinet Lighting)
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2015, 12:10:26 am »
@blacey
Any chance you will alter the sketch for 1.4 libraries? I've tried myself but I understand too little about the code.

Ed

Also interested here in getting at least 3 channels for a RGB strip going on one sensor with 1.4 libraries. I tried, but also don't fully understand the code.
@blacey would you be able to shed some light? Or maybe post an example sketch :D

Offline LeChuck

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2015, 05:43:45 am »
I was also interested in a rgb sketch.
Best with WS2812B Neopixels.
Could you explain how i could work with 3 Dimmers (1 per Channel). The rest i could bring into the projekt.
Only needed a sketch with 3 V/S_Dimmer Parameters.

Cheers,

Mark

Offline korttoma

« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2015, 07:21:16 am »
Here is my sketch for RGBW LED strip based on MySensors Lib v 1.4.1
It is not based on blaceys sketch but maybe it can be of help anyway

https://codebender.cc/sketch:44740
- Tomas

Offline xtrex

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2015, 07:41:43 am »
Thank you very much for sharing your sketch! Works like a charm.

Offline petewill

• Beta Testers
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2015, 04:38:43 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I posted this already over at the MySensors.org forum but I thought I'd post here too in case there are some Vera users who aren't on MySensors yet.  Anyway, I made a video on how I put all this together if anyone is interested. Here is the link: http://youtu.be/jblaMddRDpc

Thanks,

Pete
My "How To" home automation video channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_Evyh5PQALx4m4CQuxqkA

Offline a-lurker

vosmont has a made great plugin for controlling rgb and warm/cool white lights or strips that will drive dimmer devices. So if you have say three Vera dimmer devices for the RGB control; then you just enter the device ids and you can then use a color wheel to operate them.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,32613.msg238610.html#msg238610

Offline petewill

• Beta Testers
vosmont has a made great plugin for controlling rgb and warm/cool white lights or strips that will drive dimmer devices. So if you have say three Vera dimmer devices for the RGB control; then you just enter the device ids and you can then use a color wheel to operate them.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,32613.msg238610.html#msg238610

Cool, thanks for sharing.  I haven't made a rgb dimmer yet but when I do this will be a good option.
My "How To" home automation video channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_Evyh5PQALx4m4CQuxqkA