We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Difference / Reviews of Evolve LOM-15 and Enerwave ZW15R  (Read 2959 times)

Offline johnes

Offline johnes

Re: Difference / Reviews of Evolve LOM-15 and Enerwave ZW15R
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 04:05:44 am »
Doh! Looks like the Evolve are not tamper resistant...

Offline tomtcom

• Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 03:19:02 pm »
Came across this post. I'm looking into the Evolve and here's my 2 cents versus these 2.

While one is tamper resistant, the necessity for me of purchasing the Evolve model is because it supports the command class scene and security compatible which in zwave terms is called beam command.

So, if you have one of the locks like Qwikset and you are just a bit far away from your controlling unit like a VeraLite, you might have a reliability issue with opening/closing the lock. This is because this lock must transmit encryption keys. A standard zwave device that says it is a "repeater" is uniquely different than being a repeater that supports command class/security compatible/beam. So the repeaters can't send the encryption traffic thus requiring the command class to increase the range.

Offline dzmiller

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 05:42:36 pm »
Don't know about the receptacle, but the enerwave line is pretty much like GE but with instant status on the switches. I have their scene controller, which seems reasonably well made. But there are no set up variables at all. It seems with enerwave there's no functionality beyond what is explicitly stated in its features.
I don't see much reason to buy the enerwave receptacles based on price, but some of the other devices in that line are interesting. Especially as an alternative to ge switches and scene controller. Like GE, no neutral on the enerwave dimmer, which is  a minus if neutral is available.

Offline catchingthezwaves

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 09:59:22 am »
I have a few things to add to this discussion,  I don't have security set up yet, i'm waiting on a hidden door window sensor like the aeotec that is available in the EU market.  So i have no need for beaming.  Fut as far as the enerwave stuff...

1.  The enerwave line, as DZmiller states is quite similar to GE except that the switches include instant status (both dimmer and on/off) so they can be used to trigger other things.
2.  Contrary to DZmillers post, The dimmers do have a neutral wire connection.  I have one installed.  This opens them up for use with dimmable leds and the like.
3.  The scene controllers work reasonably well once paired, though inclusion seems harder than expected.
4.  The form factor of the switches isn't my favorite, the air gap switch is a little too conspicuous, easy to turn off.
5.  The  dimmers ' form factor is a little quirky as well, they have raised arrows on the top and bottom of the switch.  Grubby hands leave dirt on them easier than a smooth surface.
6.  The color of the switches is different than the GE and cooper whites that i have installed, not much but in a field of 3 switches I can tell.

With all that said i think they are better and more robut than GE, I dont have experience with the Evolve.