We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Ceiling fan and light fixture control  (Read 4959 times)

Offline adamstone

Ceiling fan and light fixture control
« on: February 25, 2014, 12:11:28 pm »
Can someone point me to a Z-wave dimmer that can also control the ceiling fan? I want to be able to dim the lights, which can be achieved from a dimmer switch, but is there a device that will also allow me to control the fan as well?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Ceiling fan and light fixture control
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:06:25 am »
The Leviton VRF01-1LZ Scene Capable Quiet Fan Speed Control is the only variable speed Z-Wave device, that I know of, that is specifically designed for fans.

It is possible to use a dimmer for the light and a separate On/Off relay switch for the fan, but you could control the fan's speed only via the pull chain. You would not be able to control the fan's speed via Z-Wave commands.

If you wish to use Insteon devices with the Insteon plugin, you could use a Insteon 2475F FanLinc Insteon Dual-Band Ceiling Fan and Light Controller in conjunction with a Insteon 2413S PowerLinc Modem INSTEON Dual-Band Serial Interface. While not Z-Wave, these would allow you fan speed and light control form Vera.

Offline BulldogLowell

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:47:27 am »
The Leviton VRF01-1LZ Scene Capable Quiet Fan Speed Control is the only variable speed Z-Wave device, that I know of, that is specifically designed for fans.

It is possible to use a dimmer for the light and a separate On/Off relay switch for the fan, but you could control the fan's speed only via the pull chain. You would not be able to control the fan's speed via Z-Wave commands.

If you wish to use Insteon devices with the Insteon plugin, you could use a Insteon 2475F FanLinc Insteon Dual-Band Ceiling Fan and Light Controller in conjunction with a Insteon 2413S PowerLinc Modem INSTEON Dual-Band Serial Interface. While not Z-Wave, these would allow you fan speed and light control form Vera.

Another option would be to use the VRF01-1LZ  and add the Aeon Labs Aeotec DSC19103-ZWUS Z-Wave Micro Smart Switch in the wall to separately control the light.  Just a pricey option... I wouldn't do it in every bedroom, but the Family Room, perhaps.

Offline adamstone

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 02:23:56 pm »
I thought that this might be much to ask. I have a yoga studio that wants to run their lights on the fan in particular, and have the teachers able to dim and brighten the lights at will. The fan control isn't as important, as the fans could come on to pre-set levels when the lights are turned on.

Thanks for the replies

Offline Juggler

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:09:46 pm »
I've actually just done this. Used a combination of the Leviton VRCS2, Aeotec Micro Illuminator (dimmable for light) and Aeotec Micro Switch (fan on/off).

More detailed in this post: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,23536.msg160316.html#msg160316

Offline dbmccallum

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 10:11:59 am »
Why can't you set the fan on high and use a dimmer switch to vary the power to the fan?
Vera Edge (1.7.2406), (56) GE/Jasco ON/OFF switches, (18) GE dimmers, (8 GE Outdoor modules, (4) 4-1 Aeotech Multisensor, (7) 6-1 Aeotech Multisensor, (1) Siren WA105DBZ, (2) Liftmaster Garage Doors,Vera 3 (1.7.830), 2 GE Outdoor Modules,Vera Lite (1.7.902) RTS Bridge, 14 Somphy Blinds, Homewave

Offline waynehead99

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 10:14:01 am »

Why can't you set the fan on high and use a dimmer switch to vary the power to the fan?

Bad idea. Dimmers not made for this. You will burn it out.

Offline dbmccallum

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 10:37:39 am »
Thanks, thought there had to be a reason why no has done it
Vera Edge (1.7.2406), (56) GE/Jasco ON/OFF switches, (18) GE dimmers, (8 GE Outdoor modules, (4) 4-1 Aeotech Multisensor, (7) 6-1 Aeotech Multisensor, (1) Siren WA105DBZ, (2) Liftmaster Garage Doors,Vera 3 (1.7.830), 2 GE Outdoor Modules,Vera Lite (1.7.902) RTS Bridge, 14 Somphy Blinds, Homewave

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 02:31:20 pm »
The way that most dimmers work(TRIAC intended for incandescent bulbs) can cause damage to the fan motor and worse still they can over heat and start a fire.

Use only fan speed controller switches for ceiling fan speed control. AT present, the only Z-Wave one in the U.S. is the Leviton VRF01-1LZ Scene Capable Quiet Fan Speed Control.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 02:43:00 pm »
Can someone point me to a Z-wave dimmer that can also control the ceiling fan? I want to be able to dim the lights, which can be achieved from a dimmer switch, but is there a device that will also allow me to control the fan as well?

We all have ideas, and as said there is one switch made for fan dimming and other switches that are made for on and off (none in one package) lights. So if you have 2 switches on your wall now (one for lights and one for fan) it can be done.

But really we don't know your current setup.

How is your current fan setup? Do you have wall switches controlling it? How many? If it has more then one speed is there
wiring for that or is this currently done with the chain on the fan now?

A little more info and someone can give you a few options if any exist.