Author Topic: UI6 & Thermostats  (Read 2696 times)

rosskinard

UI6 & Thermostats
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:27:00 am »
Is it just me, or does UI6 feel like a step backwards with thermostats?

Don't get me wrong...I kinda dig the new UI and the concepts being put into it for the future, but with my Trane thermostats it's causing problems.

I know the system needs work to deal with the ?F and ?C now...this has caused my scheduled scenes to all be rendered useless. Being in the US my system was set to ?F and in the UI6 webpage it shows as F.  Problem is it seems to be transmitting the ?F setting as a ?C number to the thermostat.

Telling the interface to set it at 72?F looks like it sends the command 72?C to the thermostat...the system never does anything.

But if I tell it 22?F then the thermostat does register the change to 72?F. Likewise if I say 24?F the thermostat goes to 75?F. So the system is not converting the numeric value properly.

AND I do not see a way to set the Cool and Heat points separately like the Trane does.

So before this is released as final, I hope the Vera team somehow gets this feedback and works to correct it. Not sure any other way to submit it since I am not a beta tester...but I do want to help them deliver the best product possible.

svaleb

Re: UI6 & Thermostats
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 08:17:43 am »
My danfoss thermostats is lost in the ui6.
Only one is polled, and setting temp. is a gambel.
I have reset them and configured and some finds there neighbors and them loose contact.
CE

rosskinard

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 11:03:50 pm »
So nobody else is having trouble with thermostats in UI6?

I've had to remove all Zwave schedules for the thermostats since they don't work correctly anymore.

No way in the new UI (or in Advanced Mode's psuedo-UI5 world) to adjust the Cool SetPoint...all adjustments are the single temp that affects the Heat SetPoint.

With the temp changing so radically here in TX this makes life interesting. Two days ago it was 75 degrees outside and as I type this it is 30 degrees.

My ideal scenario that I hope to achieve with an Arduino temp sensor externally and something like the PLEG is to set a single temperature target in the house and have the system determine if Heating or Cooling is needed and adapt accordingly.

If I set it to 72 degrees and it is 50 degrees outside, then I want the Heat SetPoint to be 72 and for the house to be kept at that temp.
If it is 85 degrees outside I want the Cool SetPoint to be 72 and again I want the house kept at that temp.

It seems to me with the new UI6 layout that they are trying to get the single temperature setting in place and make the system do all the work of making it right.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for now I'd appreciate it.

Thermostats are Trane TZEMT400BB3 models...one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Single HVAC system with dual-zone dampers.

Dick Altavista

• Vera 3, Firmware 1.6.641
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:20:22 pm »
I am experiencing the exact same behaviors, F displaying as temperature UOM but the numbers are in C.  Just logged a support ticket, I'm keeping my fingers crossed as this is driving me nuts.  Alarm.com may be expensive with a lot of command latency but at least it's reliable, I'm not canceling my Z-Wave service with them yet.
Vera Rookie!
Vera 3, Firmware 1.6.641

Dick Altavista

• Vera 3, Firmware 1.6.641
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:30:38 am »
This issue was resolved by Vera support, they do a great job.

"After you make sure that temperature format is setup correctly sometimes it is required to manually poll the thermostat in order to update the temperature format."

My issue is resolved, I hope this works for others.
Vera Rookie!
Vera 3, Firmware 1.6.641

SM2k

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 07:57:59 am »
This issue was resolved by Vera support, they do a great job.

"After you make sure that temperature format is setup correctly sometimes it is required to manually poll the thermostat in order to update the temperature format."

My issue is resolved, I hope this works for others.

The basic approach that has worked for others has been to change the Vera's settings to use Celcius, then save. Then change back to Fahrenheit and save again.

ferl

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 01:42:12 pm »
I also ran into the Fahrenheit/Celsius problem but was able to resolve it by toggling the units a couple of times.

However, when I adjust the heating set point it automatically adjusts the cooling set point as well. That was better in UI5 where I was able to set them independently.

Was anyone able to resolve that?

rosskinard

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:32:24 pm »
I went ahead and rolled my system back to UI5 since heating and cooling are too important to be broken like they were. On my system UI6 only would change the Heat SetPoint...there was no way to change the Cool SetPoint except manually at the thermostat itself.

Really wanted to give it a shot, but some aspects of the system were too "dumbed-down" to meet my needs. Here's hoping UI7 addresses these.

It's a bit depressing that other posts in this section were addressed by MCV staff, but this one was never acknowledged nor was there even a "we're aware and working on it."

Oh well....I have too much time and investment in the system to change. Guess we just wait and see what comes next.

ruster34

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 04:57:10 am »
I went ahead and rolled my system back to UI5 since heating and cooling are too important to be broken like they were. On my system UI6 only would change the Heat SetPoint...there was no way to change the Cool SetPoint except manually at the thermostat itself.

Really wanted to give it a shot, but some aspects of the system were too "dumbed-down" to meet my needs. Here's hoping UI7 addresses these.

It's a bit depressing that other posts in this section were addressed by MCV staff, but this one was never acknowledged nor was there even a "we're aware and working on it."

Oh well....I have too much time and investment in the system to change. Guess we just wait and see what comes next.

This is exactly what's happening to me.  I tried removing the device and re-adding but it didn't help.  (Which did not go smoothly but eventually got it off and back on the network)

As a work around, I'm using the ESM and Normal modes as a way to change the temperature overnight and then back to normal for morning.  All of my scenes to change temperature were jacking up everything royally.  I came this morning to find my air conditioner running.  Looked at thermostat, and the cool set point was 60 and heat 57.  This is ridiculous.

How difficult is rolling back to UI5?  I see zero benefit in UI6, maybe I'm missing some big advancement?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:59:58 am by ruster34 »

rosskinard

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 09:00:51 pm »
It wasn't too hard to downgrade...some folks have issues and some don't. I'll consider myself lucky that it worked OK for me.

Basically, go in and backup your settings locally, then under the Firmware Update section use:

http://download.mios.com/rt3662_betafirmware/rt3662_Luup_ui5-1.5.622-en-mios.squashfs

That should pull the UI5 firmware back down to your system...then you can restore from the backup you made.

Search the forums here and you'll see different examples of procedures people have used so far...

PromptCritical

• Sr. Newbie
  • Agent of Entropy
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 01:16:55 pm »
Now that the F/C thing has a workaround, here's another annoying thing in UI6:

The basic interface does not show current temperature, only the modes and setpoint.  You might think it's the 72F on the icon, but that's just the Icon.  I have to go to the Advanced Settings UI to see current temperature.
VeraLite (UI7), Schlage Touchscreen, Honeywell TH8320ZW, GE switches, Aeon Labs 4-in-1 sensors, MIMOlite garage door opener

josjohnson

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 10:31:38 pm »
im getting the same thing with my trane thermo  i like the slick new ui but right  now its not worth the head ache  i guess back to ui5

garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 12:38:43 am »
im getting the same thing with my trane thermo  i like the slick new ui but right  now its not worth the head ache  i guess back to ui5

Please do not double / triple post. It will not get you a faster answer and some cases will cause many of the forum members on this forum to ignore your posts.

- Garrett

josjohnson

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 03:03:19 am »

Please do not double / triple post. It will not get you a faster answer and some cases will cause many of the forum members on this forum to ignore your posts.

- Garrett

I'm sorry if I have upset or offended anyone. I only posted in topics where people where having the same issue , and I did not copy and patse the same exact responce.

shpitz461

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 09:34:48 am »
I'm having a weird one: The temperature reading is in Fahrenheit but the adjustment is in Celsius:

VeraLite, UI6, Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007/U thermostat.

Any idea how to fix?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:46:44 am by shpitz461 »