We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Voice recognition accuarcy  (Read 2772 times)

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
Voice recognition accuarcy
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:21:17 pm »
I'm interested to here from others like @Brientim on how well voice recognition works for you if you are an English speaker, with a non US accent?

I have to put on a bad accent for it recognize some things, and I'm intrigued if this maybe my particular accent type (Southern UK), or if maybe I just speak funny :)
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline jpete7683

Re: Voice recognition accuarcy
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 05:56:14 pm »
I'm interested to here from others like @Brientim on how well voice recognition works for you if you are an English speaker, with a non US accent?

I have to put on a bad accent for it recognize some things, and I'm intrigued if this maybe my particular accent type (Southern UK), or if maybe I just speak funny :)

Please read the enhancements request for this, as it explains what the issue is with the dialect and why the code is the way it is currently.  Hopefully in the future there is some API that I could use that is maybe online that can do a better job, but right now it is using an offline API to do all of the voice calculations which requires a predefined dictionary and sounding out of words.
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 06:23:09 pm »
I'm aware of  the limitations, I'm just trying to find out what others experiences are with their accents. @Brientim is Australian and his feedback will be intersting.

I'm willing to live with it since this is a common occurrence with any VC software.
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 06:47:53 pm »
Australian accent is now so similar to SoCal... So much TV is US content and hence accents change has happened over time.

I only tested yesterday and I did experience any issues but must say, I have probably adjusted the way I speak as a result of using Siri in the past which did encounter issues understanding me... Just like my wife and kids do.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 01:46:38 am »
Interesting enough when I got home today I decided to try using VC a little more... My wife thinks I crazy already, and talking into the phone to turn on a light I was right beside, for some unknown seems to reinforce this to her.

For the first series of commands worked fine but then after I let the iPhone drift off to sleep for a awhile and woke it up, it would not recognise the same commands or words I used before. Hence she is really think I am going crazy by now and looking for the white jacket with the 6 foot wrap around sleeves.

About a minute or so later, every thing was back to normal and Woking again, so I could then say see I am not crazy and of course iviri stated it did not understand that!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:52:01 am by Brientim »

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 04:02:44 am »
I will take a look at the code to see if there is anything I am doing to cause that or if there is something in the speech engine that cannot be helped.
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 04:28:38 pm »
I will take a look at the code to see if there is anything I am doing to cause that or if there is something in the speech engine that cannot be helped.
It also could be iPhone induced behaviour...

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 04:29:49 pm »
What are your thoughts on iViri?  Is it just another app that missed the mark or do you see some promise with the integration path we are attempting to go down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 04:49:23 pm »
What are your thoughts on iViri?  Is it just another app that missed the mark or do you see some promise with the integration path we are attempting to go down?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually do like it and once the roadmap is clear and the next phases are introduced, it will do well.

As I stated previously, I am a bit more regimented and like predetermined structure; however, my wife is not and only wants functions she uses displayed and therefore other apps are more to her liking...

That being said, the enhanced might include the ability to hide devices in the app and reduce (unstated) noise that is not commonly used but easily available if required.

The second issue to her is layout being dashboard or menu require more actions then others... I think this is just a meter of being used to a particular app already and change can be difficult.

I would also consider adding the link VC via either the top or an predetermined action. This and geo fencing currently separate iViri from the others... MultiSwitch may also enhance geo fencing capability with a single device rather than independent virtual switches.

Noting change should be incremental rather the wholesale at this point because other than the initial connection problems being encountered, and being fixed with your next release, it is stable.