We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Nest owners opinions  (Read 7276 times)

Offline wichie13

Nest owners opinions
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:00:41 am »
Want any nest owners to give their opinion, I already bought a very basisc cheaper tstat and didn't realize someone had integrated the nest. I like the look of it how is the functionality. My basis one is well a lot more basic then I thought it would be.

Thanks

I have the CI-300e

Offline Ds514

• Because automatic.
Re: Nest owners opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:58:55 am »
Overall, I like the Nest. I just bought a second one. The software behind it has been improved significantly since its original implementation. There is a good chance that improvements will continue to arrive. I like being able to include it as a trigger in automation functions. The look can't be beat.

My only complaint lately is that their auto-away feature, which I believe is a big part of their pitch to get power company partners in the US, has been getting increasingly aggressive over time. I have had situations where it has slipped into away mode just because the family was not visible while sitting down to eat a meal. As my system then uses this to trigger modifications to the lighting in the house, this is particularly frustrating to me; it may be unnoticeable to others. As I install the second unit, the auto-away learning will be reset (as I am changing the principal unit); we'll see what happens. On the converse side, it is nice to know that I never need to remember to set the thermostat to away (the opposite if anything).

Offline watou

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:03:57 am »
My only complaint lately is that their auto-away feature, which I believe is a big part of their pitch to get power company partners in the US, has been getting increasingly aggressive over time. I have had situations where it has slipped into away mode just because the family was not visible while sitting down to eat a meal.

It also seemed to me that auto-away was becoming more aggressive, but it's not a scientific observation.  I think I saw that adding Nest Protect smoke/CO alarms augments the thermostat's ability to determine if the house in unoccupied.  Not that spending more money is the best answer, but just FYI.

watou

Offline Ds514

• Because automatic.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 09:06:29 am »
Yes, the additional motion sensors in the Protect will aid in preventing this problem. I did consider getting some of these, but opted towards something else in the end.

Offline knewmania

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 11:46:56 am »
I own both the Nest Tstat and Protect. I am a big fan of them both. The Tstat is rich with features (auto away, humidity, motion sensing, etc). It even reminds me to change the furnace filter (not that I really need another thing reminding me that I forgot something).

I like how the Protect integrates with the Tstat and provides better Auto Away sensing as well. They are definitely conversation starters. I had one person visit the house and thought the thermostat was a camera. :-)

My only complaint is that the Protect doesn't support Hidden SSIDs. Not a big deal, but a pet peeve of mine.
Vera 2. UI 1.5.622 / Vera 3. UI 1.7.760

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 01:10:15 pm »
I have Nest Thermostat v1's, as well as a bunch of Nest Protects.  The TStats are great, they're the first one that my wife will actually use - both at the wall, and via the iPhone interface.

A well programmed TStat can get similar energy savings as the Nest, esp if you combine it with a reliable Home/Away mechanism (I use my Alarm).  As a result, advanced users likely won't see a significant difference there, but I suspect "normal" users will see a big savings - in addition to the overall usability improvement.

I would definitely buy Nest TStats again if I moved to another house.

The Nest Protects are interesting, but probably not something you'll truly appreciate until you have a fire (or significant smoke and/or CO), so they don't have the same impact as the TStats did.  I like the night-light, but I have 10ft ceilings so it's not all that effective.

My Protects are hardwired, but they cannot integrate/blend existing hardwired Smokes, so you need to replace them "all".  I have 6x of these, so it becomes an expensive proposition.

I wouldn't buy the Protects again, at least not until there is more [event-based] automation capability available. 

Nest could use the Protects for presence detection if Nest ever wanted to add "Alarm system" capability, or using them to control Lighting if they go that route....  Time will tell where they go with this.

Offline wichie13

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 01:23:50 pm »
I see that people mention they have more then one. I only have one tstat in my house, its 1900 sqft would I want more then one, or do all you guys have massive homes?

;D

Offline TC1

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 01:27:52 pm »
I see that people mention they have more then one. I only have one tstat in my house, its 1900 sqft would I want more then one, or do all you guys have massive homes?

;D

Not sure if this was joke or not, but basically size of house normally has nothing to do with it, it depends on how many separate HVAC zones you have to control. I have a very small house at 1500 sqft, but it's two floors and two separate hydronic heat zones. Hence two zwave tstats.

For example, if you have one zone and a large house, one could just add temperature sensors for individual rooms that would get averaged together either at the tstat or the HA controller. No need to buy additional tstats.

Offline wichie13

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 01:39:43 pm »
Sorry not a joke I only have one spot for a tstat and covers the whole house. Some motion sensors do temp as well I thought I readf, is this correct? I am a noob at HA but with help here I am learning fast.

Thanks

Offline TC1

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 02:30:19 pm »
That is correct, some devices like motion sensors are in fact multi-devices, measuring let's say motion, light and temp. The attractiveness of these devices is that you are not hanging multiple sensors in one room.

So one could use the readings from these extra temp sensors and average them together with the tstat reading in your HA controller, then use that average to control your tstat setpoints. All kinds of possibilities, just depends on what you goal is.

-TC

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 02:42:06 pm »
Echoing @guessed reply. Nest are beautiful.  Protects haven't added any perceived value.   

I don't know if the Nest to Protect temp sensing is even working with the latest firmware I got upgraded too...or using Protects motion to control the home/away more reliably (hopefully at least that is working...but no visibility).   Also, I haven't seen any increase in the temperature hot/cold area of the home improvements using the Protects temp sensors.

I do like the subtle night light of the Protect...but not worth $500 for the 4 purchased IMHO.  If I also new they had to be replaced every few years, I would again went for a cheaper option.

However, if I did it again, I would go with a straight Z-Wave CO2/Fire alarm because of the native integration/trip/alerting latency down to turn on the lights.  Also, I'm comforted that my data is not going to a company that derives 99% of it's money from ad revenue when Nest was acquired by Google.
WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker

Offline BulldogLowell

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 02:46:27 pm »
Echoing @guessed reply. Nest are beautiful.  Protects haven't added any perceived value.   

I don't know if the Nest to Protect temp sensing is even working with the latest firmware I got upgraded too...or using Protects motion to control the home/away more reliably (hopefully at least that is working...but no visibility).   Also, I haven't seen any increase in the temperature hot/cold area of the home improvements using the Protects temp sensors.

I do like the subtle night light of the Protect...but not worth $500 for the 4 purchased IMHO.  If I also new they had to be replaced every few years, I would again went for a cheaper option.

However, if I did it again, I would go with a straight Z-Wave CO2/Fire alarm because of the native integration/trip/alerting latency down to turn on the lights.  Also, I'm comforted that my data is not going to a company that derives 99% of it's money from ad revenue when Nest was acquired by Google.

right... "I noticed it's cold in your house... wanna buy a snuggie?"  or "you were out late last night... need to buy some Tylenol?"

yuck

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 02:52:24 pm »
From Google's perspective, it's a pretty interesting data feed to get hyper accurate ads that resonate with people.  Google DNS (8.8.8.8) does this by capturing the whole houses (by public IP) web traffic based on all your web browser DNS requests.  They could probably even tell what company you work for if you check your work email at home or use a Google Apps product.  It's now BYOA...bring your own ad to work :)

The potential for their un-opt out friendly unified privacy policy very, very creepy.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:56:38 pm by AgileHumor »
WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker

Offline TheGadgetGuy

• Technology Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 03:27:07 pm »
I also have Nest T-stats and Protects, and really really like them.

In my home,  I have two 2nd gen Nests and 2 hardwired Protects.  I agree that the Protects are expensive for the usefulness they provide, and most likely won't be installing any more.  That being said, I like the look of the Protects, and the fact that they assist in determining presence in the house is beneficial to the operation of the t-stats.  I also installed 3 Nest T-stats in my motorhome, and absolutely love the ability to monitor and adjust the interior temperature while not inside.  I expect to be installing at least one Protect in the motorhome this spring.  I can justify the expense more easily there, because of the higher possibility of a motorhome fire, and the need to 'know about it' remotely.

The Nests have made energy savings and remote temperature monitoring significantly easier and 'classer' than before.  Light years ahead of the Trane Z-wave T-stats I was using previously.  The auto-away feature works well, but because my family doesn't stick to a set schedule, it takes longer for auto-away to activate.  Oftentimes, I end up manually setting 'away' mode after we have left the house from the app. 

"Lots of Z wave switches by various companies", 8 Panasonic IP cameras, 4 Schlage locks, 2 Kwikset locks, 3 Z-wave thermometers, 2 5 button Cooper scene controllers, etc.

Offline jimpapa

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 03:56:01 pm »
I'm adding protects to our Office.. The Nest T-stat is saving me money without any doubt!.
The protect I will add is just for enhanced presents detection for the T-stat..

Of course... buying that will now blow any money I saved using the Nest T-stat..