Author Topic: Nest owners opinions  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Ron N

• Love my Vera Plus & Alexa
Re: Nest owners opinions
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 04:35:36 pm »
To chime in on this I have to add.... I upgraded to the NEST from a pretty good trane z wave controlled unit. I just love the NEST! It's easy to use and set up was all of 15min including screwing it to the wall.

I have already noticed that the NEST has saved me money in a short time on my bill... 6 weeks having it and I already half paid for.... hehehe here in the desert that's a big plus with 120 degree heat about to start.

I also made the change to Vera3 from Nexia, both to save on yearly fee's and so Nest would be in the dashboard all together. Nest has it's own mobile app but it is also on the dash board app. But just to throw in a goodie!!! I wanted to up grade to the nest  because I am a big big fan of the Ivee clock and now with Ivee Sleek I can just walk into the house and say "Turn up the air" and the Nest will adjust as well as many other things.

I have had no problems with the nest as of yet and was worth the big bucks to get it too.... Thanks to Tax refunds....LOL

Smiles
Ron

Offline intveltr

• Beta Testers
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 07:15:04 pm »
You get a tax refund on smart thermostats?  Nice.  :)
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline TC1

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 08:39:10 pm »
You get a tax refund on smart thermostats?  Nice.  :)

Actually, certain U.S. states/regions have rebates when the homeowner increases utility efficiency. I have a $50 check sitting on my desk here for installing z-wave thermostats. Doesn't matter that they were z-wave, just that they were programmable.

Offline jimpapa

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 09:39:17 pm »
120 degree's.  We have just been hit with over a foot of snow.

So my saving is obviously in Natural Gas... Trade places anyone ?  ::)

Offline aaronsquire

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 01:46:28 pm »
We have a 3900 sq ft home and one Nest Thermostat. What I love about the Nest is how well it tracks your usage. We've reduced our heat and AC run time by almost half and are keeping the temperature at better comfort levels than before. We didn't let ours learn, we setup a schedule, notifications, and watched our usage reports. Mostly it's automated now and automatically goes to away when we leave and knows when we get home. But we control our Nest via the nest app also. What's nice is it's connected to Vera and we have it set to send us notifications every time it goes from home to away or when it starts pre-heating. Say it starts preheating and i remember I'm not coming home i can shut it off and turn it back on when I start to head home and home is heated or cooled by time i get there. I was skeptical about buying the Nest as well because of price. But the features and how attractive it looks on the wall made it worth it. It's nice to still be able to walk up to it and change it on the fly. Glad we went with Nest.
Thanks!

guest15496

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 02:11:46 pm »
We have a ~3500 sq ft home with two HVAC systems, and we have two Nests. I am pleased with the Nest units and the Vera plugin. I have them integrated with coming/going Vera scenes and DSC alarms. My wife and I both use the Android app regularly.

We do not use and have turned off the presence detection/auto-away. I had problems with the Nest and hidden SSIDs.

Right now I am holding off on the Protects as the story is a bit different there and I do not need another CO detector right now. I may need to add one next year, I will re-consider the Protect then. The value-add and integration assessments of the Protects from others on this thread more learned than I make me comfortable with waiting for now.

The Nest does not have a "hold this temp" function that most cheap thermostats do, this is a known issue that is the only thing that my wife has complained about.

Offline TheGadgetGuy

• Technology Guru
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 09:14:13 pm »
I agree that the absence of a "Hold" feature is the biggest annoyance regarding the Nest.  I cannot imagine how the Nest designers don't see the usefulness of being able to maintain a set temperature when having guests over for dinner, for example? 
"Lots of Z wave switches by various companies", 8 Panasonic IP cameras, 4 Schlage locks, 2 Kwikset locks, 3 Z-wave thermometers, 2 5 button Cooper scene controllers, etc.

Offline silencery

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 09:54:18 pm »
For people with multiple Nest tstats, how do you handle the problem of Nest's occupancy being applied to the entire house rather than each room?

For example, say we have two Nests, one controlling upstairs and one downstairs.  Even if our family members spend most (but not all) of our time downstairs, the upstairs Nest will still turn on the HVAC even though no one is in the upstairs zone since each Nest does not sense occupancy independently.

Nest's solution is to create two separate zones (houses), but surely there's gotta be a better way?

Offline mda

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 11:08:39 pm »
I have each nest in its own "location" as Nest support suggested. Vera sets both to Away or Home based on my alarm settings (need a few seconds delay between calls to the nest in those scenes) and upstairs sets itself to auto-away during the day even when the downstairs is still occupied. Seems silly I know, but no real downside to this setup that I have noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline silencery

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 03:21:50 pm »
Mda,

Thanks for that note.  If you set it up this way, does that mean the vera Nest plugin shows two occupancy sensors?

I guess it would be kinda cool if it worked that way :)

Offline Ron N

• Love my Vera Plus & Alexa
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 12:49:14 am »

The Nest does not have a "hold this temp" function that most cheap thermostats do, this is a known issue that is the only thing that my wife has complained about.

It doesn't need a hold button, it's a safe guard! If you want it to stay at a temp go to schedules set the temp you want and erase the rest of the temp sets for that day [or days] and it well remain on the temp you set. The safe guard is that if you forget to un-hold the temp [like on other thermostat-units] it well resume normal at the next temp change down the line on the schedule. If you leave the house, it well keep the last temp and sleep, it will reset auto to the next temp reading when it knows people are around. That's why it's a smart thermostat.......

Hope that helps...
smiles
Ron

Offline kyb2012

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 09:29:32 pm »
I have the Nest Tstat.  It looks great.  But like others have said, I think that the main feature that it has is the auto-away feature to help conserve energy.  But what I do now is have Vera set the Nest to away when I arm the alarm or my phone locator detects that I am out of the house.  Hence, I could have used a cheaper Tstat with Vera.