We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Issues after moving to UI6  (Read 3866 times)

Offline woofguy

Issues after moving to UI6
« on: March 14, 2014, 10:50:29 am »
Hello all,

Here is my story:
I have already contacted tech support and haven't heard anything back from them (starting to get upset).
I upgraded my VeraLite unit to the new UI6 the other day.
The upgrade appears to have gone fine initially, I have a home.getvera.com account and it detected my VeraLite after the upgrade and allowed me to add it.
Have also downloaded the new MMS-Vera app from the iTunes App Store.

Here are my issues:
I cannot connect to the unit from anywhere outside of my home network and NO iPhone apps will work with it.
If I am at work for example and go to home.getvera.com and login, it lists my device I click on the connect button and it shows that it is trying to connect to my device.
Once it "Connects" I get the old MIOS style message saying it's trying to find my device and then the attached error screen comes up.
clicking retry and such does not help at all, same issue. if I am on my home network everything works fine connecting.
This always worked without issue BEFORE the latest upgrade.

Additionally, I cannot get any "IOS Apps" to work with my device.
The "old" vera app doesn't see it anymore, MMS-Vera won't let me login (says my UID and Password are wrong, works fine on the website) and VeraMate (which now supports UI6) will not login to my VeraLite after the upgrade.

This is a HUGE HUGE HUGE problem for me and I cannot have my home "dark" for much longer. If someone either from Vera, inc. or these forums cannot help me soon, I'm going to have to switch my home controller to another brand with better support.
Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. thanks to all in advance.

Offline sjolshagen

Re: Issues after moving to UI6
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:33:59 pm »
If you had scrolled to the bottom of the main forum page, you would have seen that there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to UI6 and that most of the recommendations are to NOT upgrade as it's a) genuinely beta quality, b) an interim bridging release to Ui7 (probably), c) upgrading will render all existing remote apps (sort of, I think) unusable as the architecture to remotely connect to a unit is materially different in UI6 and beyond, d) a bunch of plugins had problems with UI6 as well.

Basically, unless you're a developer getting ready to upgrade your software to support UI6/UI7 and beyond, you should probably stay away from the hairy beats that may be UI6.

The same forum has instructions on how to downgrade again as well.
Vera3/UI5 @ v1.5.622

Offline BulldogLowell

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:57:53 pm »
that being said, and a lot of us agree with you @sjolshagen, but it does seem that this happens to way too many people and particularly those who are newer to Vera.

Should I be responsible to have read in advance all of the OSX forums before I bought a new mac and installed what I thought was the latest OS?

MCV should have a quick disclaimer outlining that the 1.6.641 version is indeed in beta and you will likely experience compatibility issues if you upgrade.

I upgraded on of my vera lites, and never saw anything like that.

and agree, @woofguy should go back to UI5 ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:17:01 pm by Bulldoglowell »

Offline woofguy

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 04:14:18 pm »
Can someone point out the link on How to Revert to the old firmware?
I cannot seem to find it?

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member

Offline woofguy

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 06:51:53 pm »
Thanks @brientim

Offline joecumb

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 09:57:36 am »
I'm one of those newby's. I am working with the Vera System as a hobby, and while researching this site to solve a problem i was having i found the like to the upgrade. Thinking this was an official upgrade i went for it. I had some problems, but as a hobby i enjoyed the challenge of fixing it. after a total refresh and reprogramming half of my devices i'm back up.

If I was an experienced developer or installed these systems professionally i would be very angry.

The IPhone app does work, but you have to logout and back in every time you want to use it. The Prowl functionality still works great, and for that i am glad.

I like the open functionality of the system, and probably would have upgraded to beta, but there was no warning when i upgraded.

Joe

Offline recurry

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:17:11 pm »
If you had scrolled to the bottom of the main forum page, you would have seen that there is a whole sub-forum dedicated to UI6 and that most of the recommendations are to NOT upgrade as it's a) genuinely beta quality, b) an interim bridging release to Ui7 (probably), c) upgrading will render all existing remote apps (sort of, I think) unusable as the architecture to remotely connect to a unit is materially different in UI6 and beyond, d) a bunch of plugins had problems with UI6 as well.

Basically, unless you're a developer getting ready to upgrade your software to support UI6/UI7 and beyond, you should probably stay away from the hairy beats that may be UI6.

The same forum has instructions on how to downgrade again as well.

Well, that's super. If that's the case then WHY is that what the "end-user" site upgrades you to automatically when you go to the firmware upgrade link on the main, consumer exposed website page? One would assume that developers marketing their product to non-technical ( or even semi-tech) consumers would only link to stable releases of the code on the "upgrade" link on the mainpage of their website with no warning that's it unstable, beta, alpha, or any comments whatsoever. It's pretty clear this UI6 code is a disaster. It killed most of my devices, my current micasa account wouldn't even talk to it and I have to open up a new account just to talk to it and a whole bunch of stuff just doesn't work. This should never have been linked to the primary firmware upgrade link on the main page.

So now I need to downgrade and frankly, the docs are a mess. Been searching for an hour just to find the firmware images and still haven't found them. I used to design embedded systems for a living and still do some work at it and I just chuckle when I see the main micasa page saying this thing is targeted for consumers.

Seriously, I have no wish to engage in bashing anyone but your tone toward the OP was quite unjustified given the above situation. The only person who you should be bashing here is whoever put this version up on the main firmware upgrade link implying it was released code.

Offline jimpapa

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 12:45:12 pm »
that being said, and a lot of us agree with you @sjolshagen, but it does seem that this happens to way too many people and particularly those who are newer to Vera.

Should I be responsible to have read in advance all of the OSX forums before I bought a new mac and installed what I thought was the latest OS?

MCV should have a quick disclaimer outlining that the 1.6.641 version is indeed in beta and you will likely experience compatibility issues if you upgrade.

I upgraded on of my vera lites, and never saw anything like that.

and agree, @woofguy should go back to UI5 ;)

Micasaverde... you are no Apple Inc. !

(Yes, this is tongue and cheek, and for anyone who did not get it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator,_you're_no_Jack_Kennedy )