We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: How are you implementing Geofencing into your home automation?  (Read 25761 times)

Offline Ramiii

Re: How are you implementing Geofencing into your home automation?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 09:53:04 am »
@jpete7683

No , i'm outside now

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 09:54:34 am »
@jpete7683

No , i'm outside now

Can you go to the app store and check your updates to make sure you have v1.1 installed?  A lot of time when you reinstall from the app store and you haven't backed up your device it installs the old version.
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 10:00:53 am »
@jpete7683

No , i'm outside now

Can you go to the app store and check your updates to make sure you have v1.1 installed?  A lot of time when you reinstall from the app store and you haven't backed up your device it installs the old version.

Also if you are able to populate all connection information and cause it to not crash you can go to the about screen and see what version of iViri the device is running.
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline Ramiii

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 10:03:32 am »
@jpete7683 @shmixx

Now it's working , It was v1.1 , i was testing with fwd1.mios.com and fwd7.mios.com but it only worked with fwd8.mios.com , i have no idea why .

Work VS is now working fine , i tested it while i'm here wt work .

Thanks guys

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 10:10:17 am »
@jpete7683 @shmixx

Now it's working , It was v1.1 , i was testing with fwd1.mios.com and fwd7.mios.com but it only worked with fwd8.mios.com , i have no idea why .

Thanks guys

Thanks for the update, but that bothers me that v1.1 was still crashing for you.  With v1.2 I am going to completely re-work the initial setup of the app.  I will allow it to still be changed under the settings page but I will add in the ability to have a step by step connection setup wizard.  I am sorry for the inconvenience of this issue, as some reviews of the app have called it "Junk Junk - Cannot believe apple allows this app.  Totally junk", which since I am not really making a profit from this app almost makes me want to pull it from the app store.  I thought I was providing people with some additional functionality but it seems that there are people not very happy about iViri and the issues it has had, which I will say I am 100% sorry for any crashes or issues that any one has had happen and I am working hard to get them all resolved.

Offline bobnatale

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 10:17:01 am »
I'd challenge anyone if you've already spent $5+ on apps/plugins, why not try this one. It's a small cost to gain a large amount of usability.

And for anyones edification, no I don't help create the app or gain any profit from it. I've worked on it with jpete as a beta tester and continue to provide feedback like everyone else. I've just found enough value that it's worth illustrating my positive experience so others can gain the same, and a deserving dev can receive the accolades for their product.

I definitely second this sentiment.  This is a pretty slick app for a very reasonable price, that has the potential to develop in to something really awesome.  (I am in no way affiliated with jpete.  Not even a beta tester lol)

p.s. jpete: I have a hosting account that I don't use much. PM me if you think you could use some bandwidth from there.  Maybe even just for testing or whatever

Offline Ramiii

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 10:57:12 am »
@jpete7683 @shmixx

Thanks guys

Thanks for the update, but that bothers me that v1.1 was still crashing for you.  With v1.2 I am going to completely re-work the initial setup of the app.  I will allow it to still be changed under the settings page but I will add in the ability to have a step by step connection setup wizard.  I am sorry for the inconvenience of this issue, as some reviews of the app have called it "Junk Junk - Cannot believe apple allows this app.  Totally junk", which since I am not really making a profit from this app almost makes me want to pull it from the app store.  I thought I was providing people with some additional functionality but it seems that there are people not very happy about iViri and the issues it has had, which I will say I am 100% sorry for any crashes or issues that any one has had happen and I am working hard to get them all resolved.

I understand that could be a little frustrating for users who buy the app and then discover that it's crashing and it's even more frustrating for you that your efforts are not appreciated , Problem is people don't differentiate between an independent developer and a corporate , even her at the forums some people attacked  RTS for selling PLEG licensees after all his efforts for the past years .

Don't let them get you , App concept is great but it needs some extra work , lots of apps started like this then picked up later with users feedback . and it's very good for it's price , iVera was 30$ for god's sake .

Keep on working on it man and good luck

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 11:06:34 am »
Thanks for the comments @Ramiii and @bobnatale.... I have taken the iOS 7.1 update and it appears that we can now kill off the app and its region monitoring and geofences will still work.  I am going to test this out today but I think apple made a change in the code to appease a bigger software maker.

Offline cubs2b23

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 11:19:01 am »
I have taken the iOS 7.1 update and it appears that we can now kill off the app and its region monitoring and geofences will still work.

I had noticed this in the past few days but since I upgraded to 7.1 prior to installing iViri I just assumed that was how geofences always worked.  But I noticed last night with my wife's phone (iOS 7.0) that if I killed the app it killed the geofence.  So it is definitely something new with 7.1

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 11:26:31 am »
I have taken the iOS 7.1 update and it appears that we can now kill off the app and its region monitoring and geofences will still work.

I had noticed this in the past few days but since I upgraded to 7.1 prior to installing iViri I just assumed that was how geofences always worked.  But I noticed last night with my wife's phone (iOS 7.0) that if I killed the app it killed the geofence.  So it is definitely something new with 7.1

Here is the article [1] I had read weeks ago but hadn't tested it out to know for sure if it happened.  Are there apps that people would rather use than iViri?  Would it be better for iViri to release a separate app that just does geofencing and iBeacons?  Basically get rid of Vera control with the app and create a second app that just does the geofencing stuff and ibeacons stuff?

[1]
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/02/11/ios-7-1-fix-geolocation-issue/

Offline cubs2b23

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 11:42:16 am »
Well I think that's probably more of an individual decision.  Honestly if you hadn't offered the geofences (and possibly iBeacons) I would have stuck with using Homewave as my sole Vera app.  Right now I still prefer it over iViri as far as mobile control. iViri does offer voice control but it's not something I've decided I need to have right now.  So if iViri or a paired down sibling of iViri is all I have to run in the background for geofences then that suits my personal needs.  But I'm sure others will offer up what they think as well.   Either way I hope you don't admit defeat as I think you've taken the right steps to give Vera iOS users some much needed functionality!

Offline NewfD90

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2014, 06:05:56 pm »
Right now for the v1.2 release I am looking at supporting the Multi-Switch plugin in conjunction with the Virtual Switch, would it benefit anyone if it supported disabling or enabling a PLEG device?  The way you are using your stuff is exactly how I am using it and with PLEG I don't have any of the issues that you are having with the day/night happening, if you want to PM me I could send you my PLEG for this.

That would be awesome.  PM Sent.  Thanks very much!

Offline bucko

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2014, 08:37:14 pm »
I wanted to give this app a try but it is only for IOS 7. Too bad there.

Whats the reason for not being on iOS 7?  Not judging just curious if it is hardware limitations or if you are jail broken, etc..?  We had a running post going longer ago before it went live in the Apple store and there was no comments from anyone to support a release any earlier than iOS 7.0, so if you have a good reason I will be more than happy to re-evaluate that decision and make it backwards compatible.

Yes I am jb'd. But more importantly I use several iPads and iPhones laying around for house control. I have I devices going back to an iPhone 3 and iPad 1 in use. These devices will never use IOS 7. I don't want these devices to look different from each other so family members or guests will not get confused using them. So everything is on 6.1.2.

I am sure a lot of people have jb'd devices they don't want to lose. Also since the demise of SQ Remote, it is not useable on IOS 7. That is a big one.

If you do make it for IOS 6, I will try it.
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline awake33

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2014, 03:01:09 am »
I do this but I use the IPhonePlugin that I wrote and which does not require any Phone app to be loaded  ( http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,59.0.html . truly settings for polling are important to be fined tuned but you can manage to not impact battery too much by "muting" polling at unecessary times. the polling to the phone can be made depending on the distance so you can really fine tune to your particular personal needs and with a bit of PLEG you can even suppress pollings at unnecessary times

Nice plug for the iPhonePlugin :) (no pun intended)..... I actually used the iPhonePlugin for some time which is why I ended up adding this functionality to iViri.  Not only does this not require any fine tuning, it just uses Cell Tower Triangulation and there is zero battery hit and nothing really to worry about or fine tune or have to remember to switch your mute button, etc.  You don't have to wait for a poll to occur so for your home scene to trigger as you walk into the house and make it half way through before your house reacts to your presence.  Instead with iViri the app just reacts to the enter/exit of a geographic region and changes your switch.  On top of that this technology is now being coded one step further to make your environment become aware of your presences by using ibeacons.  This second part is currently under development but it will finally bring to iOS what RFID has been doing and NFC for Android.

I bought and tried your app because I liked the idea of simplifying the process of detecting when my wife or I arrive home. With iPhonelocator I have to use two device plugins for each phone because GPS occasionally reports a momentary jump in location which results in the re-triggering of a scene (Two at home and two at the neighborhood entrance). I Tried to mitigate this with the Ping Sensor plugin, but it is unreliable. Having my garage door automated complicates things due to the fact that it takes 8 seconds to register that it is open. It registers being closed immediately and I refuse to add a second sensor for when it opens because it is impractical.

With the iPhoneLocator plugin I get consistent results regarding when it opens, i.e. it is either just opening as it comes into view or it begins opening shortly after coming into view. The view distance being a mere 50-75 feet.

You specifically mention not having to be halfway through the house before a scene fires upon arriving home while using your app, implying that perhaps that was your experience with iPhoneLocator. With your app I get very inconsistent results mirroring that scenario. I might pull into the drive way and have to wait a whole minute before the garage opens.

So, just to be clear, I am not complaining. I've read your other posts and also understand what a Herculean task it is that you've undertaken here and I applaud you. You have also asked for feedback on the possibility of a Geofence only app. I for one would totally pay again for such functionality, provided that it had the same responsiveness as the iPhonelocator plugin.

Given the constraints that Apple imposes, would it be possible to invoke a more frequent location update once a user is within a designated range of a geofence by beggining to manually poll a user's location? Or by whatever other means necessary to achieve good responsiveness.

Offline shmixx

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2014, 08:41:12 am »
@awake - so I'm confused at first it sounds like you mentioned some issues with iphonelocator combined with ping sensor being reliable. Perhaps I just misread something. Either way, I'd suggest playing around with the distance setting for the geofence in iViri. I too went the route of iphonelocator at one point, but there were a few things that were just too difficult to overcome so I actually have up on it. With iviri I've managed to get pretty consistent results now. I've got mine set to 250 meters and I get a notification my alarm has been disarmed about halfway down my street. Thinking on you're garage door scenario, this would be about the distance needed to have your garage open by the time you get home.

Just my two cents.