Author Topic: iViri Enhancement List  (Read 13167 times)

Offline bgrubb1

• Sr. Newbie
Re: iViri Enhancement List
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 09:28:13 pm »
Just a suggestion :-)
Can you parse the error message "I didn't understand that" to include "you idiot, you don't have a scene that resembles that"
I had "garage lights off" working immediately, but spent 30 minutes yelling "garage lights on" before I realized I didn't have a scene for that :-)

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 11:20:27 pm »
Just a suggestion :-)
Can you parse the error message "I didn't understand that" to include "you idiot, you don't have a scene that resembles that"
I had "garage lights off" working immediately, but spent 30 minutes yelling "garage lights on" before I realized I didn't have a scene for that :-)

Actually not to add insult to injury, but to some extent I do have that int there.  Under the voice control help it will list the supporter devices, their names and the supported action word :)... I guess I could add the scene names there too :)
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline dbmet

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 09:30:52 am »
I have the same problem  trying to run the app on my iPhone 4s. It actually looks like the app is crashing it just disaapears. Then if I go into multitasking I can find the app still running. If I select it from multitasking the app will come up but takes minutes to unfreeze.

I've got iViri running on (3) iPhone 4s and can't seem to keep it running reliably. It seems that if it is open and running for more than several hours it locks up and stops working. The only way to get it going again is to kill it and start over. These phones are all running IOS7.1. The geofencing is awesome when it works but so far it's pretty sporadic. I'm most interested in that feature working reliably. I currently use HomeWave for everything else and will likely continue to do so.

So to touch on a couple of things.  The iPhone 4s specs wise isn't near the power of the devices usesd to test iViri, that being said there is no excuse for the behavior you are seeing, but it does lead me to wonder that since it uses offline voice control ability (processor and memory intense) should I offer the ability to remove voice control from the app via the menu?  Also as a side note with iOS 7.1 you do not need to keep the app open in the background as once that region is monitored the iOS will handle relaunching the app to handle the enterance and exiting of a region, so for that matter have you just tried setting up your geofences and then once it is being monitored kill off the app and observe it's behavior.  Secondly I did set out to offer a cheaper solution that did more than what most apps were thinking about for the Vera, with that said should I eliminate geofences from iViri and just create a standalone app?  Would people be interested in purchasing something like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 09:34:34 am »
I have the same problem  trying to run the app on my iPhone 4s. It actually looks like the app is crashing it just disaapears. Then if I go into multitasking I can find the app still running. If I select it from multitasking the app will come up but takes minutes to unfreeze.

So when the app comes from a background state to the foreground there are a couple of things that occur that cause it to appear frozen for less than a minute or so.  Without getting into much detail these are resolved in v1.2, along with the speed that the app launches, much faster in v1.2.  To my earlier point, if it is crashing, would it make much sense to allow users to disable the offline dictionary and voice control since this is always running in the background it can cause some overhead on CPU and memory?
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline dbmet

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 09:39:41 am »
Yup I would think if the user could toggle those on or off would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:09 am »

So I just went through some crash analytics and noticed where crashes are occurring for the iPhone 4s users.  I have a question for the iPhone 4s users, are you able to use the devices when you are away from home?  i.e. not on the same network as the Vera?

Offline beerguy

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 01:40:34 pm »
By use the devices do you mean turn lights on/off, toggle virtual switches, etc? If so, then yes, I believe that I've been able to do this remotely. As I'm really only using iviri for its geofencing it would be great to have the option to turn off voice control and any other functions that might speed things up. I've let the app sit for over 5 mins to see if it would come back to life but no go.

Offline thewizardofoz

• Vera 3
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 02:11:15 pm »
Can iViri support the Honeywell Ademco AD2USB plugin?   Also can iviri access a DVR for security cameras based on an IP address to the DVR?
Vera 3 UI5  with 2 slave Vera 3s and 1 slave VeraLite all connected by CAT6.  Running about 130 devices and 8 Plug-ins including PLEG

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 02:20:41 pm »
By use the devices do you mean turn lights on/off, toggle virtual switches, etc? If so, then yes, I believe that I've been able to do this remotely. As I'm really only using iviri for its geofencing it would be great to have the option to turn off voice control and any other functions that might speed things up. I've let the app sit for over 5 mins to see if it would come back to life but no go.

So I have asked this before but haven't had an answer to it yet.  Would it be better for me to create a separate app that focuses solely on Geofencing?  Strip the rest of the functionality out of the app and allow users to configure the URL to work appropriately with their Vera.  Basically a standalone app that will allow a Geofence toggle a switch depending on enterance and exiting of a geofence?

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 02:22:42 pm »
Can iViri support the Honeywell Ademco AD2USB plugin?   Also can iviri access a DVR for security cameras based on an IP address to the DVR?

iViri v1.2 which is still in development will support category 6 camera's on the Vera.  As for the Honeywell as long as it follows the standard AlarmPartition2.xml it will work.

Offline beerguy

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 02:22:43 pm »
Personally I would be more than happy to pay for a geofence-only app.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 03:17:20 pm »
Personally I would be more than happy to pay for a geofence-only app.

I hate to have users pay for another app, so let me take a stab at resolving your issues with v1.2 and if I am unsuccessful I will look into releasing a geofence only app for the Vera.  Does that should like a plan?

Offline beerguy

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 03:37:20 pm »
Sure. I think there are great opportunities for using geofencing so whatever path is the best works for me.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 03:44:06 pm »
Sure. I think there are great opportunities for using geofencing so whatever path is the best works for me.

Thanks for your understanding and believe me no one is as disappointed with the initial issues that users are experiencing as I am, I saw a technology that is not being used and decided that it should be getting utilized and attempted to get something out the door quickly for it.  I knew that there were be some bugs not anything like we are seeing for the crashes, but I have a good indicator as to what is causing these crashes and I should be able to get it completely resolved for everyone.  It was pretty heavily tested from an app perspective for 3-4 weeks with over 13 beta's released to address all issues, I think what caused most of the problems at initial launch of the app is that the BETA testers were experienced not only with the Vera but with the iOS, so not everything was necessarily reported.  If you would like we could add you to the BETA testers to see if v1.2 resolves your issues or I could just work directly with you and get you a release to test out to see if your issues are resolved.  If you are interested please send me your UDID for your apple device to support@instruodev.com.

Offline SM2k

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 04:23:24 pm »
I'd like to have the ability to blacklist scenes or devices from voice control. There are devices, e.g. my garage door, that I do not want to accidentally toggle the state of.

I think whatever this interface ends up looking like, it belongs in the main app vs the iViri section of the settings app--mainly because the list of devices itself is dynamic. "Blacklisting" might be a term that confuses some users, so perhaps simply calling a device "hidden" would be a better term. then a simple toggle setting for "show hidden devices" would allow the user to interact with them if needed (to un-hide for example).