We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Help with Harmony 900 and lighting control  (Read 2082 times)

Offline gijosh28

• Sr. Newbie
Help with Harmony 900 and lighting control
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:11:32 am »
Hi,

In the living room, I would like to be able to dim my z-wave lights from my Harmony 900.  My Z-wave is currently controlled by a Honeywell Lynx L-5100, and a Veralite.  I currently have a Raspberry Pi in the living room that runs OpenElec, and has a HP IR receiver plugged in to it so I can control it from the Harmony.  I'd love to add some buttons to the Harmony for turning all the lights in the house on and off, and dimming the living room light.  I don't necessarily need to use that Pi though.  I have several Pis and can spare another one to dedicate to z-wave control, if it would be possible in Raspbian but not OpenElec.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Josh 

Offline Jamr

Re: Help with Harmony 900 and lighting control
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:36:38 am »
You probably know this if you have done any investigating. But here goes.
I have an old 890 and RF IR blaster that came with it and was able to program the 890 to control my Z-Wave lighting rather easily. But, and it seems their is always a "but", once the Z-Wave light switch is paired with the Harmony remote it no longer works with my Vera. The switch can only be paired with one controller at a time apparently.
So I made the decision to ditch the Harmony and go with a remote that works with my Vera controller.

As for your 900 apparently it is not Z-Wave compatible as the 890 is.
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Remotes/Harmony-900-and-z-wave/td-p/401165

If you want to use your 900 you will have to find a way to convert it's RF to Z-Wave or find a way for it to communicate with a Z-Wave controller (preferred).
Here are some people using an IR dimmer with their 900.
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Remote-Control-Software/Harmony-900-amp-Light-Dimmer/td-p/520569
Sorry I can't help you more.

Offline gijosh28

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Help with Harmony 900 and lighting control
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 01:49:49 am »
I knew about the 890 being able to control some z-wave. I guess what I am hoping for is someone to tell me that there is a plug in for xbmc that sends command to your vera through your network that you can assign keyboard shortcuts to and program one of those keyboard shortcuts to a button on the 990. One other thought i had was to put a second pi with a z-stick and ir receiver in.