We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Z-Wave Dimmer - Independent Operation  (Read 5036 times)

Offline boojew

Z-Wave Dimmer - Independent Operation
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:58:54 pm »
Ok - SUPER-de-DUPER newb question for which I can not find the answer anywhere: If I purchase z-wave dimmers, are there any models out there that would let me independently of my controller control the dim - level? I'll give you a scenario that occurs frequently enough, my 1 year old wakes up in the middle of the night and I need to turn on his light and potentially another light in another room. Now, I dont want to be blinded, so I would want the light low.. but occassionally, i need to increase the light output. Is there anyway to do this from the switch itself?

If not, does Insteon Switchlinc support this? Or am I missing something very fundamental here. The reason I want z-wave switches for these rooms is to ensure the lights are off when we leave for the day as "some people" have a habit of leaving them on ;)

Thanks!

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
Re: Z-Wave Dimmer - Independent Operation
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:22:55 pm »
Do you mean you want to sync two light switches?
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline boojew

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 02:30:49 pm »
Well, I probably will, but that wasnt my question ;) I want to know if there is a switch out there that will let me directly control the dim-level (dimness?) from the switch but still be z-wave controllable.

Thanks

Offline BulldogLowell

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 02:40:33 pm »
there are plenty of options.

google "scene capable zwave" and you will find many types of switches capable of doing what you are describing, and will work with vera very nicely.

if you narrow down to a few, you can search here for people's thoughts, or even ask for opinions.

You will have no difficulty getting opinions here

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 02:52:41 pm »
I want to know if there is a switch out there that will let me directly control the dim-level (dimness?) from the switch but still be z-wave controllable.

You mean you want to be able to control the level of the light that the one and only switch is connected to? Just like any other regular dimmer? But you want it to be Z-Wave savvy?

Any Z-Wave dimmer switch will do this. 100% of them. There are many to choose from. Dozens.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline boojew

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 03:14:37 pm »
I want to know if there is a switch out there that will let me directly control the dim-level (dimness?) from the switch but still be z-wave controllable.

You mean you want to be able to control the level of the light that the one and only switch is connected to? Just like any other regular dimmer? But you want it to be Z-Wave savvy?

Any Z-Wave dimmer switch will do this. 100% of them. There are many to choose from. Dozens.

Really? OK, huh.. when I look at the Jasco, Linear and Evolve dimmers, I dont see a manual dimmer control (slider or otherwise)... What am I missing? What is the mechanism to operate the dimmer?

Thanks

Offline TC1

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 03:49:39 pm »
Ok, i understand your question now. You want to set the dim level BEFORE you turn on the light.

Cooper and Leviton z-wave switches have a separate dim level control and indicator on the switch.

The brands you previously mentioned do NOT.

Hope this helps.

-TC

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 04:57:59 pm »
I have GE (Jasco) switches. They are a top - bottom toggle. So Let's say you want to turn it on to, say, 70%. You press and hold the top of the paddle until it dims up to where you want it. To turn it off you just tap the bottom of the paddle and it dims down to 0%. Then when you want to turn it on again you tap the top of the paddle and it will dim up to 70%, or where ever it was set last before you turned it off. They all have these features but they operate slightly differently in how exactly they physically dim / turn on/off.

So for turning a light on you have complete control of the level. You can press and hold until it reaches your desired level or simply tap and it will return to it's last state before turning of last time.

Is that all making sense?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:59:42 pm by S-F »

Offline TC1

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 05:10:50 pm »
That's not what he's asking. He's saying, I approach a light switch, regardless of where it was last, I want to see what the level is and adjust before I actually turn on the light. Say 20% to not wake a sleeping child.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 06:17:41 pm »
That's not what he's asking. He's saying, I approach a light switch, regardless of where it was last, I want to see what the level is and adjust before I actually turn on the light. Say 20% to not wake a sleeping child.

But if I get what S-F is saying, he doesn't need to see the level. He merely needs to just hold the on button until it gets to a suitable level and let go (regardless of what the level was at before). In some sense this is just a better way of handling it for the OPs purpose (I don't need to walk into the room and look at some LEDs to see what it's at, I can just press and hold to my desired level).

I think the problem is that the OP wants to be able to walk into a room and only turn it on to a very dim level as to not wake the kids. I don't think it actually matters what % that level is (As in, it doesn't need to a specific one). Yes, with my leviton I can do similar by just adjusting the dim with the dimmer button then turning it on, but that is a bit more of a hassle as I have to check the switch first.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline TC1

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 06:25:02 pm »
But that's exactly what he wants to do. That's one of the advantages of Leviton and Cooper dimmers, dim control and indicators separate from the on/off function. I can turn the bedroom light on to say 10% without waking my wife, even if the previous level was say 90%.  Just like the previous manual dimmer that we had in the wall. One of the reasons why I will spend extra on dimmers that have this functionality.

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 06:44:06 pm »
Really? I just press the paddle for less than 1 second longer than a turn on tap and the light goes to my desired level. I think the justification for Leviton switches is instant status and general build quality.  I personally like the usability of the GE dimmers much more.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:16 pm »
And you can do the same with the one that S-F mentions, you just don't get the LEDs, you just "press and hold the on button to turn it on the brightness you want". I have leviton and I will say that I am not really that likely to get it at exactly 20% by using the paddles. I will get close, but I would have to argue that just holding the on button until it is the brightness you want is a bit easier, especially when entering a dark room. And even to do that with my leviton, I have to look at it, see where it's at, then decide to press the dim up or dim down button, then hold it's it's where I want, THEN turn it on and hope that where I have it set isn't too bright (too dark isn't a problem in this case since you can just turn it up).
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 06:49:55 pm »
The important thing is that there are several options. People like different things for different reasons.

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 07:19:06 pm »
The important thing is that there are several options. People like different things for different reasons.

Yes! Of course.

I just want this discussion to properly illustrate to the OP what the options are. For many people the $50 -100 investment in a switch is a lot of money which should be spent is the way which will be most pleasing.