We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Micasa and z-wave for lighting controls  (Read 10006 times)

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Micasa and z-wave for lighting controls
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 09:29:44 pm »
1. Can  you replace a slave switch for a 3 way with a scene controller by programming one button for that function?
I'm not sure I understand the question. You can use a scene controller as a slave/auxillliary switch in n-way-like configurations. e.g. 1 Z-wave switch with load attached and one or more scene controllers that activate that switch.

2. Are there non-scene switches that can handle 2 or more loads directly. (dealing with downsizing boxes where possible)
The number of loads doesn't really matter to the switch. Max load wattage and safe wiring practices are what matter. But, you could connect a single Z-Wave switch to two or three strings of lights(loads) with no problem, so long as your total wattage is within specification of the switch and the wiring.

Offline catchingthezwaves

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 12:24:35 am »
Z waver-  Thanks for the response.  You answered my first question perfectly.

As for my second question about loads, I wasn't clear.  I think I meant circuits.  In the interest of reducing wall clutter, I want to replace two (or more) switches that control separate circuits and still control them separately with a single unit.  Kind of like a one of the following:

http://i.pgcdn.com/pi/75/94/55/759455480_260.jpg

Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:46:49 am by catchingthezwaves »

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 11:43:11 am »
Z waver-  Thanks for the response.  You answered my first question perfectly.

As for my second question about loads, I wasn't clear.  I think I meant circuits.  In the interest of reducing wall clutter, I want to replace two (or more) switches that control separate circuits and still control them separately with a single unit.  Kind of like a one of the following:

http://i.pgcdn.com/pi/75/94/55/759455480_260.jpg

Any thoughts?

Leviton sells a 2 load scene controller. It is actually a "scene controller", but it also can control 2 loads (non-dimming). The way I actually have mine set up is as 2 switches (the scenes only turn on and off the local load for that button), but you can actually do more complex scenes with it as well.

Here is the link at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-VRCS2-MRZ-2-Button-Controller-Multi-Location/dp/B0032ZB9HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398181354&sr=8-1&keywords=leviton+2+button+scene+controller

They have 20% off until the 26th (discount shown at checkout).
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 05:23:26 pm »
Thanks, that is helpful. 

With this train of thought I'm focused on reducing number of ganged switches.  I have two locations in particular  (4 gang -2 three way switches and 2 single pole)  that would be nice to change to a single switch box with controller that handles all of these functions. Though possible i suppose with a zone / scene controller paired with other devices (like hidden micro controllers or something) it doesn't seem practical.  So for now it seems that i will replace 1-3 way with a zone/scene controller and the others with standard z wave switches.  Leaving the physical box alone.

Once i get more comfortable with my system i will explore streamlining  the 4 gang boxes.

Cheers!

Offline BulldogLowell

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 05:27:29 pm »
Though possible i suppose with a zone / scene controller paired with other devices (like hidden micro controllers or something) it doesn't seem practical.

Yeah, those z wave scene controllers take up a lot of space too.  Crowding in a micro could prove a challenge.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 05:39:47 pm »
Thanks, that is helpful. 

With this train of thought I'm focused on reducing number of ganged switches.  I have two locations in particular  (4 gang -2 three way switches and 2 single pole)  that would be nice to change to a single switch box with controller that handles all of these functions. Though possible i suppose with a zone / scene controller paired with other devices (like hidden micro controllers or something) it doesn't seem practical.  So for now it seems that i will replace 1-3 way with a zone/scene controller and the others with standard z wave switches.  Leaving the physical box alone.

Once i get more comfortable with my system i will explore streamlining  the 4 gang boxes.

Cheers!

This may not be a realistic option for you (depending on your skill level and/or access to your wires and/or willingness to do it), but for my living room I will be adding 2-6 circuits of recessed lights. When I do this I will be putting a "join" box up in the attic where all the wires will converge. In that box I will be placing micro dimmers and only using a scene controller on the wall to control the lights. This way, later on, when/if I move, I will be able to replace the 1-gang box with an estimated 6 gang box and just run the wires from the join box down to the switches and connect them in the join box.

In most places the above is completely acceptable in regards to code as long as the join box is accessible from the attic or anywhere as long as you don't have to tear out drywall. You should of course double check your local codes first just in case.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 10:06:04 am »
I think I could manage something like you are suggesting, and probably will at some point.  My priority for now is to get the system running.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk