We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: iRule vs OpenRemote  (Read 3663 times)

Offline airedale

iRule vs OpenRemote
« on: March 30, 2014, 12:37:34 am »
I am an avid user of Roomie to control my AV devices and also kick off scenes with Micasaverde. I just picked up a Kindle Fire which does not support Roomie. So now I am in the market for a new solution. I was wondering if the community has tried either of these solutions and what your thoughts are around them.

At first, I was going to go after OpenRemote. I even have a Raspberry Pi that I could run the OpenRemote software one. Now after looking at the cost vs iRule, I'd say iRule looks to be a good option since it is less expensive than OpenRemote when I start adding in things like controlling more than 10 Z-Wave devices with OpenRemote.

I also like that iRule had a lot of preset things, vs OpenRemote with it's blank canvas approach.

Can you guys help me in considering the pros/cons?

Thanks!

Offline dzmiller

Re: iRule vs OpenRemote
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:53 am »
I can't help you, but I am starting an irule project and will be interested in what you find. It seems to me that the pro version of irule is necessary as it supports two way feedback. While I'm mostly an apple user, I like the idea of adding inexpensive android devices as controllers with irule. After spending $500 to pick up a couple Leviton zwave devices, $100 android tablets are looking good.

Offline dalhoj

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:06:52 am »
Hi, I use Openremote, and you can use more then 10 devices when you use it with the Vera.
It is only when you use a z wave usb stick directly in the openremote controller it is free up to 10 devices.

Otherwise it is completely free.

Offline airedale

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:34:04 am »
As I have been doing more research, it seems that OpenRemote requires more work to configure than iRule. Would you say that has been your experience dalhoj?

Offline dalhoj

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:58:03 am »
I think it does. You have to create each device and for each devise you have to create each command. Ie an dimmer should have an on, off, dimmer set, dimmer level and status command, a switch and a slider. Its a bit of work but you get to-way communication and you can also connect to arduino pc's and everything else using some kinde of ip protocol.

I have not used irule but if you choose it then i look forward to hear about it.

I would try using Openremote with just a few devices and see what it is, because its free, and if you finde it to be to hard to use then buy iRule.