We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: VeraLite should I downgrade from UI6 to UI5 ?  (Read 8708 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: VeraLite should I downgrade from UI6 to UI5 ?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 03:29:05 am »
First off thank you so much for taking time to explain! I've learned a lot about the device just from your reply but I still have some questions.

1. So I don't have to bring Vera near by device that needs to be paired, it can done from where its using high power as explained here http://docs5.mios.com/doc.php?language=1&manual=1&platform=3Lite&page=full_power_inclusion
That would've saved me a lot time last night :)
That is correct unless the device is really far and you don't have any other devices near buy to repeat the signal. Always try this first, if it can't find it then resport to the low power, But I have found (especially with a large network now) its never needed. 

2. When buying new device ie. light swith, power outlet etc. I don't have to look for the "ones" that will relay signal? or Vera can replay that signal thru any Z-wave device once it creates that virtual map?
Vera can not make the device relay if its not capable of doing it. Any Battery device for sure won't relay, I haven't found a light switch, outlet or other popular device that doesn't repeat 99% of them do. You can always read, research or ask questions on the particular model of device before you buy it. There is different features of each.

3. I was thinking to spend $60 for camera to test but if its going to give me trouble then I would rather wait and get something that works and has better quality. Having to worry just about one cable (POE) with DS-2CD2032-I is really interesting. On ebay they're around $140 shipped from China. What made you want this model? Between 9821w v2 and 910w you would recommend 910w, correct?
Never heard of Blue Iris, do you have free or paid version?
At home I have Elastix (running on Cent OS) as my home phone system and is obviously always on Acer AspireRevo and was thinking I could get ZoneMinder working and that would be true free surveillance software.[/quote]
910 not as good of picture quality. So I like 9821's, but having the night problems makes these not work at night. So pick your poison. Kind of depends on what fits your needs more then anything.
POE would be much better for me. Already have Cat6a running to the foscams as on wireless they the quality was bad and every few days they would drop off wireless and not reconnect until after a restart or a forced re connect. I found them unreliable for my needs and after forum searches found out it was to much for the processor to deal with. Cutting back on the operations on the camera and going to wired has solved those problems. Bottom line they work ok but be prepared to fiddle with them and address their limitations.
6v input they have it to low of a voltage and it you try and extend the power cable on the low voltage side anything over 10ft starts dropping the voltage to low a causing power problems. So you need to run an extension cord on the 110 side if you are far from a power (POE would be good for me) source. Hikvision can be found for as low as 110-120 actually when looking for them. I found good reviews on them on another camera forum. Seen video with them. The 3MP, POE, metal outdoor housing, good price and good reviews is why that's my next purchase in cameras. 
BlueIRIS is great and is less then 40.00 on time fee I paid for it. You can find it online from some places cheaper. Has a ton of features from geofence (stops recording or changes recording when you get home) to the basics. Also plays nice with VERA can send Https commands.

4. I never had a alarm in my house because I refused to pay that monthly fee. I was so happy when I found Vera for one time fee :)
Having a home alarm doesn't mean having a monthly fee. You pay a monthly fee for someone to sit by a phone and watch for your alarm going off. You not going to have that with Vera and you don't need to have that with an alarm. You can have or install and alarm and not have it monitored. New installs they want to get you on the monthly so they sell you with everything free to install but going to cost you monthly. You can pay up front to an installed or install your own and not have a monthly.
Only reason I asked is because certian alarms hook to vera and allow vera see each door or window as a device. Z-wave devices are around 30.00 for each door or window. Do a count of how many windows and doors you have and you'll see the cost is super high. Motions in a house from a wired alarm work way better then z-wave battery motions that cost 70.00. Battery motions to conserve battery sleep and when they do they don't wake up fast or at all for awhile. Wired alarm motions cost 10.00 on ebay vs. maybe 50.00 the cheapest z-wave. So although not cheap it's cheaper to get your windows and doors and motions from an alarm, and you don't have to even set or use the alarm if you don't want (but you can, and you can do it from you phone or automatically using geofence when connected to vera).   

5. Attached is the picture of the switch as soon I open my front door. One controls porch light and other hallway. On the other end there's another one that controls hallway and other stairs going up. So I'm sure what type of switches those are. I could wire them if I would have the correct Z-wave replacement. Like I said it would be cool to setup something when door is unlocked after 9pm light would turn on.

No picture was attached, please try again. Sounds like the hallway has a 3-way switch? A switch on each end that turns on the same lights? Z-wave those come in a kit with 3 switches and are called 3-way on/off switches. Where are you located? You have any local stores (lowes) that carries z-wave or you doing only online purchases?

Offline Johnnybegood

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 01:02:50 am »
Can you see the pictures now?

Hmm, didn't know that about alarm. Are these big name companies that you're talking about ie. ADT? I was on their website and they require 36-month monitoring contract.

About PoE, it looks like it would require a special switch http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-ip-phone-7900-series/97869-poe-requirement-faq.html#qa1
Do you plan to get DS-2CD2032-I pretty soon?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 01:34:28 am by Johnnybegood »

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 02:21:38 am »

Hmm, didn't know that about alarm. Are these big name companies that you're talking about ie. ADT? I was on their website and they require 36-month monitoring contract.

About PoE, it looks like it would require a special switch http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-ip-phone-7900-series/97869-poe-requirement-faq.html#qa1
I installed my own. Big name want big contracts. I would avoid. A wireless system is not as cheap but easy for a self install.

No pictures yet.

Yes you need Poe switch or a single injector. You need to get the power injected into the ethernet wire somehow.

No I don't think I'll spend the cash on the camera's soon. On the list but not a priority. 

Offline Johnnybegood

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 12:04:59 am »

I installed my own. Big name want big contracts. I would avoid. A wireless system is not as cheap but easy for a self install.

No pictures yet.

Yes you need Poe switch or a single injector. You need to get the power injected into the ethernet wire somehow.

No I don't think I'll spend the cash on the camera's soon. On the list but not a priority.
Ok. thanks for the info. Seems like in my case it would be wise to replace the switch with more ports and POE.

I can see the pictures on my page 1 post but here they are again.