Author Topic: How does the Geofence work?  (Read 4118 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
How does the Geofence work?
« on: April 04, 2014, 03:30:16 am »
I have an Ipad 2 Wifi only running iOS 7.1.

And Can't get Geofence to do anything.

The real plan was to test on my Ipad and if all works as planned install on my Fathers Iphone 5 for his vacation house. Wife and I use Android phones and have Tasker setup and working at my house.
Anyways it up on my Ipad and I set a Geofence Called home with 100 meters and a device ID of my Virtual switch I made in Vera (Ipad home). I click tap to use current Location and it finds me give me a Lat and Long, which I have Google map verified to be accurate.

I also Enabled Geofence services and notifications in the settings under location services and made sure my location services under apple settings were all set to allow the app threw.

I can't get the switch to Turn on when I'm home. I have wifi tethered it to my phone and left with it. Didn't see a change, but not sure I went far enough.

Should It work and show me home right now without it ever leaving?
Does it work on Ipads?
What is it useing to update and see where I'm at?

Offline jpete7683

Re: How does the Geofence work?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:27:47 am »
I have an Ipad 2 Wifi only running iOS 7.1.

And Can't get Geofence to do anything.

The real plan was to test on my Ipad and if all works as planned install on my Fathers Iphone 5 for his vacation house. Wife and I use Android phones and have Tasker setup and working at my house.
Anyways it up on my Ipad and I set a Geofence Called home with 100 meters and a device ID of my Virtual switch I made in Vera (Ipad home). I click tap to use current Location and it finds me give me a Lat and Long, which I have Google map verified to be accurate.

I also Enabled Geofence services and notifications in the settings under location services and made sure my location services under apple settings were all set to allow the app threw.

I can't get the switch to Turn on when I'm home. I have wifi tethered it to my phone and left with it. Didn't see a change, but not sure I went far enough.

Should It work and show me home right now without it ever leaving?
Does it work on Ipads?
What is it useing to update and see where I'm at?

The geofencing option uses Cell Phone Tower triangulation.  Therefore, if your iPad is wifi only and does not support Cellular Data then you will not be able to use the geofence option, however, if your sole purpose is to use this at your fathers vacation house on his iPhone 5 it will work for him since it uses Cell Towers.  Version 1.2 is going to be released soon and it has a lot of hardening code around the geofencing options and works well with multiple geofences defined without issues.
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:02:46 am »
The geofencing option uses Cell Phone Tower triangulation.  Therefore, if your iPad is wifi only and does not support Cellular Data then you will not be able to use the geofence option, however, if your sole purpose is to use this at your fathers vacation house on his iPhone 5 it will work for him since it uses Cell Towers.  Version 1.2 is going to be released soon and it has a lot of hardening code around the geofencing options and works well with multiple geofences defined without issues.

Looks like that should be specified under what devices works and which don't. I have installed it on his phone, and had crashing issues as soon as app was opened. I think it was related to maybe incorrect login or server information. Seemed like after I went back in and changed everything it started working.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:09:27 am »
Looks like that should be specified under what devices works and which don't. I have installed it on his phone, and had crashing issues as soon as app was opened. I think it was related to maybe incorrect login or server information. Seemed like after I went back in and changed everything it started working.

As for the crashes with the setup that is resolved in v1.2 and that should be getting released in a couple of weeks.  As to address your other concern how it should be specified under what devices work and which don't, I released an iPhone only app, there is no iPad app that has been released, so that mean that when you searched with your iPad for the app you had to tell it to include iPhone apps.  I try my best not to screw anyone over, and there are things that are missed but isn't it always a risk installing a iPhone only app on an iPad and expecting the same functionality or not to find something that doesn't work right?  Or are you telling me that it is listed as an iPad app in your app store, which is something I would need to approach apple about getting fixed as the code is compiled as iPhone only?
I am the developer of iViri.  iViri is available in Apple Store.  Check out its Voice Control and Geofence integration, which causes less battery drain than the other options for locating an iphone.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:02:43 pm »

As for the crashes with the setup that is resolved in v1.2 and that should be getting released in a couple of weeks.  As to address your other concern how it should be specified under what devices work and which don't, I released an iPhone only app, there is no iPad app that has been released, so that mean that when you searched with your iPad for the app you had to tell it to include iPhone apps.  I try my best not to screw anyone over, and there are things that are missed but isn't it always a risk installing a iPhone only app on an iPad and expecting the same functionality or not to find something that doesn't work right?  Or are you telling me that it is listed as an iPad app in your app store, which is something I would need to approach apple about getting fixed as the code is compiled as iPhone only?

No you are correct it is listed as an Iphone app, I'm not missled. I bought it only as a test run and have also purchased it on the Iphone already. It's not alot of money and I haven't requested a refund. I could have asked this question before I bought it.

It was just a suggestion that you might want to put a note that says not for WIFI only versions of iPAD or iTouch.

And I do believe that even tho it's an iPhone app it says works with Ipad or something.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 07:28:20 pm »

No you are correct it is listed as an Iphone app, I'm not missled. I bought it only as a test run and have also purchased it on the Iphone already. It's not alot of money and I haven't requested a refund. I could have asked this question before I bought it.

It was just a suggestion that you might want to put a note that says not for WIFI only versions of iPAD or iTouch.

And I do believe that even tho it's an iPhone app it says works with Ipad or something.

I am not trying to start a fight or get anyone worked up, I just wanted to point out that it is specifically a iPhone app and that I am not making any false claims to get additional purchases of the App.  Thanks for being a customer and hopefully we can get iViri working to meet all of yours and your fathers needs.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 10:47:32 pm »
I am not trying to start a fight or get anyone worked up, I just wanted to point out that it is specifically a iPhone app and that I am not making any false claims to get additional purchases of the App.  Thanks for being a customer and hopefully we can get iViri working to meet all of yours and your fathers needs.

If you look in the app store it says and I quote "Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5."

In my case this was misleading, but I wasn't originally going that far I was just making a suggestion. Since the suggestion didn't seem to take so well, I'll now point out the flaws to make it more clear. 

I have a Ipad with iOS 7.1 which according to that it should work. Now that I know you need a cell network the above statement is only half true. While you do need iOS 7 or higher and it works with some IPads and Some touches. It's clear that it wont work any that don't have a cell network.

Two out of your three devices listed as "Compatible" Have units that are sold without cell network built into them. 

I'm not saying your intentionally making false claims, but if you choose not to correct the false (or incomplete) statements under the app then others might make that assumption.

Easy fix.... So others wont have the same problem I have with their Ipad or Touch.

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 10:50:02 pm »
I will make the change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jpete7683

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 11:17:47 pm »

If you look in the app store it says and I quote "Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5."

In my case this was misleading, but I wasn't originally going that far I was just making a suggestion. Since the suggestion didn't seem to take so well, I'll now point out the flaws to make it more clear. 

I have a Ipad with iOS 7.1 which according to that it should work. Now that I know you need a cell network the above statement is only half true. While you do need iOS 7 or higher and it works with some IPads and Some touches. It's clear that it wont work any that don't have a cell network.

Two out of your three devices listed as "Compatible" Have units that are sold without cell network built into them. 

I'm not saying your intentionally making false claims, but if you choose not to correct the false (or incomplete) statements under the app then others might make that assumption.

Easy fix.... So others wont have the same problem I have with their Ipad or Touch.

Not sure when the change will get published out through the apple store or reflect on apples servers but I have made the change in itunes connect to state "iDevice requires Mobile Data Connection to use Geofencing option!"